• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gore and Willis named captain

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defensive captain is Patrick Willis, an understated tackling machine who has been named to the Pro Bowl each of his first four NFL seasons. He is on pace for a Hall-of-Fame career. Willis is the 49ers' best defensive player.

The captain on offense is running back Frank Gore. His team-record streak of four consecutive 1,000-plus-yard rushing seasons ended last year when he still gained 853 yards despite missing the final five games with a fractured hip. Gore is the 49ers' best offensive player.

When coach Jim Harbaugh announced Saturday which players were voted as 49ers captains, it was only natural to begin to think about which players were not chosen.

Of course, there was one name that immediately came to mind . . . Alex Smith.

Smith was the leader for the 49ers during the five months when the 49ers needed somebody to step up and take charge during the lockout.

Smith was the point person with San Jose State officials to arrange for his teammates to use the Spartans' weight room and fields. The players were not allowed to have any communication with the 49ers' coaches and were banned from the team's property. Smith served as director of football operations, head coach, offensive coordinator and, yes, starting quarterback during that time.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/06/11/...ng_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=559768&feedID=5936

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the Frank over Alex decision is the right one; although the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if there is a hidden message and what it might be. I would have lost a bet that Alex would have been voted captain.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Willis is a no brainer, congrats to Willis. At first reading Gore was voted, I was good with that and still am, but after reading that side tidbit about Alex, I kind of felt a slap in the face for the guy lol.... maybe that is a message? but again he has the support of his teammates(high profile ones) so IDK....

wasn't there multiple captains last year?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Willis is a no brainer, congrats to Willis. At first reading Gore was voted, I was good with that and still am, but after reading that side tidbit about Alex, I kind of felt a slap in the face for the guy lol.... maybe that is a message? but again he has the support of his teammates(high profile ones) so IDK....

wasn't there multiple captains last year?

I think it was Willis & V.Davis last year?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis I remembered but wasn't Justin Smith also one? Alex as well or am I thinking gameday captains or something else? :confused2:

You're right! JS was a captain last year as well.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gore's reception after ending his holdout explains why he was named the offensive captain. The entire mood of the team changed for the better. Along of course, with being the guy the offense is built around.

I like that it's voted on by the players, instead of chosen by the Coach.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the players also chose captains that are going to be with the franchise long term. Frank got his extension and Patrick's not going anywhere. Alex is a stop gap, and will be gone after this season.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised Justin Smith and Vernon aren't getting any love. What about ST's?