• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson Finally Signs

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was hoping that when I opened this thread it would have revealed that he signed a long term deal. :-( Still good news nonetheless!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping that when I opened this thread it would have revealed that he signed a long term deal. :-( Still good news nonetheless!

I don't think the 49ers can sign him long-term until after the season. Something to do with the franchise tag he got. I guess there is a type where they can negotiate still, since ESPN was talking about Cliff Avril not showing up at Lion's camp until they got closer to a longer deal. I think they also said the same thing about Dwayne Bowe... I could have misheard though, I was watching it at the gym last night.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The deadline for a long-term deal came and went on the 16th - I believe he had only two options - sign or don't play.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This might not be the worst thing to happen. Let's see how he plays this season and if plays well again franchise him. If his play slips then you may have just saved yourself some money.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the 49ers can sign him long-term until after the season. Something to do with the franchise tag he got.

The deadline for teams to sign franchised players to multi-year contracts has already come and gone. At this stage players can either sign their 1 year franchise tender or sit out until next offseason.

Originally I didn't think teams were allowed to negotiate and sign their franchised players to extensions during the franchise-tendered season, either, but my point of reference was the Logan Mankins situation in NE, where he had been looking for a long term deal from management, but was forced into signing his franchise tender.

Things worked out for Mankins pretty quickly after he signed the 1 year tender, as less than a month later the Patriots extended Mankins another 6 years.

I guess what to take from the Mankins story is that the "deadline" for long term contracts is (I guess?) to expedite the process of the franchised player signing an initial contract, meaning the Niners may still sign Goldson long term if the two sides find a fair middle ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very fine IMO. We get Goldson, see if last year was a fluke or is he really there as a very good FS for our defense.

He plays well, we'll extend within reason. If we can't agree on a LT deal, we can entertain a trade(if possible)

He plays poor, we avoided a LT error...

One way or the other, next year's draft class should be good for FS from my understanding earlier this year. FA, I think Byrd(most likely resigned IMO) could be a fill in or we just stick with Goldson.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is very fine IMO. We get Goldson, see if last year was a fluke or is he really there as a very good FS for our defense.

He plays well, we'll extend within reason. If we can't agree on a LT deal, we can entertain a trade(if possible)

He plays poor, we avoided a LT error...

One way or the other, next year's draft class should be good for FS from my understanding earlier this year. FA, I think Byrd(most likely resigned IMO) could be a fill in or we just stick with Goldson.

this tag is only for a year so he re-enters the free agent pool.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nobody would trade for Goldson. Think this is the end of the rope for him unfortunately unless he drops his long term contract request. We'll probably be tagging another position next year even if he does play great given the strong S class.

If he plays great and we don't tag him another team will almost certainly overpay. And if he happens to play bad, we'd probably cut him lose. About the only way I see him returning is if he plays average to better than average and a FA market doesn't materialize (like last year). But even in that case its not a given he crawls back to us a second time. I plan to enjoy this experience while it lasts because he is a good S.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nobody would trade for Goldson. Think this is the end of the rope for him unfortunately unless he drops his long term contract request. We'll probably be tagging another position next year even if he does play great given the strong S class.

If he plays great and we don't tag him another team will almost certainly overpay. And if he happens to play bad, we'd probably cut him lose. About the only way I see him returning is if he plays average to better than average and a FA market doesn't materialize (like last year). But even in that case its not a given he crawls back to us a second time. I plan to enjoy this experience while it lasts because he is a good S.

yeah, assuming he plays average or better than average, we might still give him a long term deal? it wouldn't be at high costs, but a contract nevertheless. he's familiar with the scheme and other teammates, so we'd prefer him over another FA. if we sign another FA, odds are we'll overpay.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, assuming he plays average or better than average, we might still give him a long term deal? it wouldn't be at high costs, but a contract nevertheless. he's familiar with the scheme and other teammates, so we'd prefer him over another FA. if we sign another FA, odds are we'll overpay.

The tag for Goldson next year will be $7.45m, not sure what you mean by: "it wouldn't be at high cost" but another Pro-Bowl season could make him one of the higher paid FS/S in the league.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The deadline for a long-term deal came and went on the 16th - I believe he had only two options - sign or don't play.

So true! I totally forgot about that.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind tagging him next year as long as we re-sign Soap. I still have hope that we may end up getting him signed long term, but i feel like this is his last season in SF either way.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Just to clarify the long term thing, unless this changed under the new CBA, we can still sign him to a long term contract, but we lose the right to use the franchise tag for the length of the deal (after July 16). Since he only signed a one year contract, we get it back next year.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice to see that he is back!! He sort of took one for the team. If he again makes the ProBowl then I would expect a long term deal to get done!! Go 49ers!!:spy:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The tag for Goldson next year will be $7.45m, not sure what you mean by: "it wouldn't be at high cost" but another Pro-Bowl season could make him one of the higher paid FS/S in the league.

here's my post again........

yeah, assuming he plays average or better than average, we might still give him a long term deal? it wouldn't be at high costs, but a contract nevertheless.

so if he plays average or even better than average, doubt we tag him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here's my post again........

yeah, assuming he plays average or better than average, we might still give him a long term deal? it wouldn't be at high costs, but a contract nevertheless.

so if he plays average or even better than average, doubt we tag him.

Got it - I'm hoping for the deal.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see that he is back!! He sort of took one for the team. If he again makes the ProBowl then I would expect a long term deal to get done!! Go 49ers!!:spy:

I don't think it is as simple as what Goldson does... Baalke is probably also weighing if he wants to tie up money on Goldson that he'll need in the near future for Bowman and Aldon Smith.

If Bowman is an All-Pro again or even just a probowler, I'd certainly expect a holdout on his behalf because he would have certainly outplayed his late 3rd round contract. I'm pretty sure if we all had to choose between Bowman and Goldson, Goldson loses every time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Got it - I'm hoping for the deal.

IF he plays 'average', it'll be a decent debate here. cause most teams don't tag a player coming off an 'average' year?

but in this case, Goldson has a good history with the 49ers. so there will some 'pro' to tag him.

[personally, don't see why he won't be similar to last season? but we're just discussing other scenarios]