• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson Finally Signs

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think it is as simple as what Goldson does... Baalke is probably also weighing if he wants to tie up money on Goldson that he'll need in the near future for Bowman and Aldon Smith.

If Bowman is an All-Pro again or even just a probowler, I'd certainly expect a holdout on his behalf because he would have certainly outplayed his late 3rd round contract. I'm pretty sure if we all had to choose between Bowman and Goldson, Goldson loses every time.

yep, as the team gets better, individual players are signed away. not complaining cause thats the way it is. agree that even if we get past Goldson, it'll just be another - or otherS - in line.

the following off-season looks tough.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF he plays 'average', it'll be a decent debate here. cause most teams don't tag a player coming off an 'average' year?

but in this case, Goldson has a good history with the 49ers. so there will some 'pro' to tag him.

[personally, don't see why he won't be similar to last season? but we're just discussing other scenarios]

Yeah, there will be a lot of factors weighing in on the decision - how he plays, how our depth at the position plays (Spillman), what the FA market looks like, what the draft looks like, who else may be more critical to our team, what our cap situation looks like after Alex Smith demands an extension because he won SB MVP, etc, etc, etc...

At the end of the day, I'm hoping he makes the Pro-Bowl again and is voted 1st team and gets his 4yr/$30-32m

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Baalke is probably also weighing if he wants to tie up money on Goldson that he'll need in the near future for Bowman and Aldon Smith.

And Sopoaga. And Justin Smith, Iupati, Anthony Davis & maybe Chris Culliver in the not too distant future.

Thank God they extended McDonald.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Sopoaga. And Justin Smith, Iupati, Anthony Davis & maybe Chris Culliver in the not too distant future.

Thank God they extended McDonald.

For a great price too. I hope he doesn't try and hold out for a bigger contract if he plays as well as some of us think he will this year.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify the long term thing, unless this changed under the new CBA, we can still sign him to a long term contract, but we lose the right to use the franchise tag for the length of the deal (after July 16). Since he only signed a one year contract, we get it back next year.

Sorry, I'm not following this. Why would we franchise him if he's under contract? Or do you mean we couldn't franchise ANY player for that period?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry, I'm not following this. Why would we franchise him if he's under contract? Or do you mean we couldn't franchise ANY player for that period?

We lose the right to use the tag period. If we sign him to a 6 year contract, then we cannot use the franchise tag for those 6 years. On anyone.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We lose the right to use the tag period. If we sign him to a 6 year contract, then we cannot use the franchise tag for those 6 years. On anyone.

That's not true. There are special exceptions where a team can use a second franchise tag. I know for a fact that the Steelers used a tag on kicker Jeff Reed when they had already used a tag on Bill Leavy.