• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson and Whitner to start

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Reggie has the best cover skills out of any of those guys. He made some dramatic improvements since we drafted him. I honestly wasn't a big fan of the pick, but he made a couple of really awesome plays in coverage last year. I remember one of them would have easily of been a TD.

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie/Whitner would be the best combo IMO. Reggie has better coverage skills then Goldson and is more of a ball hawk then the "hawk" himself. With his injury though, I'm thinking Goldson who is very hungry after what he went through in free agency and how the 49ers pretty much left him on the curb with the left over trash is going to step up his game and capatalize on the opportunity.

PaleRider

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that maybe the trade offer might have more to do with lighting a fire under someone's ass as opposed to getting a 5th round pick?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No because Mays is still getting very limited reps and he's buried on the depth chart they just released. All the fire in the world isn't going to transform Mays into a coverage safety. His deficiencies aren't because of a lack of effort, he just doesn't have the natural traits needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No because Mays is still vetting very limited reps and he's buried on the depth chart they just released. All the fire in the world isn't going to transform Mays into a coverage safety. His deficiencies aren't because of a lack of effort, he just doesn't have the natural traits needed.

+1

Mays just doesnt have the instincts needed to play safety. All the athletic ability in the world translates to nothing without a brain.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
When I read some of Mays' high school bio, I got the clear impression that his calling was track, not football. I think what we are dealing with here is simply a track athlete trying to be a football player.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
When I read some of Mays' high school bio, I got the clear impression that his calling was track, not football. I think what we are dealing with here is simply a track athlete trying to be a football player.

Mays is not a track guy. He's builtl like a tank and he loves to hit. When I think of a track guy usually I think of someone who hates contact and is slender. Mays also does have alot of desire to play football. Track guys usually aren't into the game much.

If anything he's unfortunately a tweener. Too big to be a coverage safety and a bit too light to be a linebacker.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mays is not a track guy. He's builtl like a tank and he loves to hit. When I think of a track guy usually I think of someone who hates contact and is slender. Mays also does have alot of desire to play football. Track guys usually aren't into the game much.

If anything he's unfortunately a tweener. Too big to be a coverage safety and a bit too light to be a linebacker.

"Mays was a 3A state champion in the 100- and 200-meters in his sophomore and junior years at O'Dea High in Seattle. He didn't run track as a senior, instead preparing himself for his college football career."

Mays was a track guy converted to a football guy and I would bet a fair amount that his father (a former NFL player himself) had a lot to do with that decision.

Taylor Mays' #1 athletic attribute is running fast, not playing football. With all due respect to your fandom, I think Taylor Mays was an experiment that just did not work out.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After he gets cut Mays should become a decathlete, or push a bobsled like Herschel Walker

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
"Mays was a 3A state champion in the 100- and 200-meters in his sophomore and junior years at O'Dea High in Seattle. He didn't run track as a senior, instead preparing himself for his college football career."

Mays was a track guy converted to a football guy and I would bet a fair amount that his father (a former NFL player himself) had a lot to do with that decision.

Taylor Mays' #1 athletic attribute is running fast, not playing football. With all due respect to your fandom, I think Taylor Mays was an experiment that just did not work out.

Ok he ran track, but he's not your typical track guy. A typical track guy avoids getting hit, because you don't get hit running 100m or 200m on a track. Cromartie was a track guy and you can tell if you just watch him try to tackle Shonn Greene.

But Mays is a heatseeking missile looking to hit someone. He's been criticized for just looking for a big hit. So it's not that Mays doesn't have a football mentality or is a "track" guy.

He's just too big and stiff to be a fluid free safety.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok he ran track, but he's not your typical track guy. A typical track guy avoids getting hit, because you don't get hit running 100m or 200m on a track. Cromartie was a track guy and you can tell if you just watch him try to tackle Shonn Greene.

But Mays is a heatseeking missile looking to hit someone. He's been criticized for just looking for a big hit. So it's not that Mays doesn't have a football mentality or is a "track" guy.

He's just too big and stiff to be a fluid free safety.

There is no question Mays has a football mentality, but, between the two sports, his athletic strengths are clearly in track, not football. By contrast, Cromartie's athletic strengths are probably more in football than in track.

As for Mays being a heat-seeking missile, I would say he is perhaps more like a misguided missile.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There is no question Mays has a football mentality, but, between the two sports, his athletic strengths are clearly in track, not football. By contrast, Cromartie's athletic strengths are probably more in football than in track.

As for Mays being a heat-seeking missile, I would say he is perhaps more like a misguided missile.

Yeah Mays'es guiding system needs a software upgrade. :-)

I still hope the guy pans out for us, it's only been 1 season followed by a lockout which probably hurt his development as well.

I'd be surprised if he cannot beat out the Spillmans and Taylors on the team.
Those guys are training camp fodder for most other teams.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah Mays'es guiding system needs a software upgrade. :-)

I still hope the guy pans out for us, it's only been 1 season followed by a lockout which probably hurt his development as well.

I'd be surprised if he cannot beat out the Spillmans and Taylors on the team.
Those guys are training camp fodder for most other teams.

Haha, yes, I agree a software upgrade might be just what he needs.

As for Spillman and Taylor and Mays, I read a Barrows article today that indicated Taylor & Mays (pun not intended) are on the outside looking in right now; but, I hope you are right.

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Answer to oft-asked Q: Fangio said no thought of moving Taylor Mays to LB. 49ers D.C. said safety is best fit for Mays' frame & game.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One of the player who is fighting for a 49ers roster spot is second-year player Taylor Mays, whom the 49ers put on the trade block last week in a mass email to every team in the NFL. At more than 230 pounds, Mays is big for a safety. But Fangio said there has been no talk of moving Mays to linebacker.

"He's just got a safety build to him," Fangio said. "Playing linebacker and lining up thick on a tight end or a tackle and having to do combat with 260-270 pound tight ends, and 300, 320, 340 tackles, I don't believe that fits his game right now."

Read more: 49ers notes: Willis works on pass rush
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

Ninersfan85

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A lot of teams WRs are going to have alligator arms when they go across the middle with those 2 hard hitting safeties. its going to be fun to watch, can't wait :D

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reggie/Whitner would be the best combo IMO. Reggie has better coverage skills then Goldson and is more of a ball hawk then the "hawk" himself. With his injury though, I'm thinking Goldson who is very hungry after what he went through in free agency and how the 49ers pretty much left him on the curb with the left over trash is going to step up his game and capatalize on the opportunity.

That isn't quite true about leaving him on the curb, the 49ers offered him the richest contract of anyone else that has signed with the team. I'd guess a 30 million dollar deal because they said it was more than the 25 million that McDonald got, but he wanted the 40 million that guys like Weddle got.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN Matt Maiocco
Answer to oft-asked Q: Fangio said no thought of moving Taylor Mays to LB. 49ers D.C. said safety is best fit for Mays' frame & game.

Mays is too small for LB at the moment, look at this video from last year's camp and Taylor just looks tiny next to Takeo. Yeah, I know OLB's don't have the same build as MLB, but even OLB's have bigger frames than Mays does.