• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goldson and Whitner to start

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That isn't quite true about leaving him on the curb, the 49ers offered him the richest contract of anyone else that has signed with the team. I'd guess a 30 million dollar deal because they said it was more than the 25 million that McDonald got, but he wanted the 40 million that guys like Weddle got.

Three, great post! I has made a cursory search awhile back to find some of the details you just provided here. I had heard some chatter of this, but until now I could not confirm - Thanks!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it was the same as RayMac's deal. 5 for 20 and he wanted what Rolle got last season.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read it was the same as RayMac's deal. 5 for 20 and he wanted what Rolle got last season.

You could be right, I can't remember which thread it was in where someone first brought this up. Ha, I confused McDonald's contract value both times though, I don't know why I have 25 mil stuck in my head... instead of the actual 20 million dollar deal... so probably a bad idea to trust my memory.

I just thought some story said they offered Goldson the highest amount of money, and most of us were saying he's going to regret turning that down when he signs a 1 year contract somewhere.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That isn't quite true about leaving him on the curb, the 49ers offered him the richest contract of anyone else that has signed with the team. I'd guess a 30 million dollar deal because they said it was more than the 25 million that McDonald got, but he wanted the 40 million that guys like Weddle got.

I'm pretty sure McDonald signed for $20 mil

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Three, great post! I has made a cursory search awhile back to find some of the details you just provided here. I had heard some chatter of this, but until now I could not confirm - Thanks!

Ok so let's say Goldson was offered $30M/5 years. That means it averages to $6M a year plus the signing bonus is guaranteed.

So the dude would be making on average $6M this year plus he'd be locked into the signing bonus.

Instead now he's playing for $2M for 1 year. In football anything can happen, your career could be over any day.

I think he's not really smart for turning down $30M. Why does he have to think he has to be the highest paid safety in the league that is just ridiculous.

It just does not make any sense.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok so let's say Goldson was offered $30M/5 years. That means it averages to $6M a year plus the signing bonus is guaranteed.

So the dude would be making on average $6M this year plus he'd be locked into the signing bonus.

Instead now he's playing for $2M for 1 year. In football anything can happen, your career could be over any day.

I think he's not really smart for turning down $30M. Why does he have to think he has to be the highest paid safety in the league that is just ridiculous.

I agree with you 1 million percent! I'm kind of snickering at the goofball. But, there will always be those who think they are better and more valuable than they are.

I give huge props to Baalke & Marathe on this one, they played Goldson perfectly as I see it. Now, he basically has to perform this year or his career could turn to stone in a San Francisco minute.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It makes sense if he thinks he is worth Eric Weddle money, a 40 million dollar contract. Too bad he doesn't realize that you actually need to make a Pro-Bowl or All-Pro, at least once, to get top dollar in Free Agency.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It makes sense if he thinks he is worth Eric Weddle money, a 40 million dollar contract. Too bad he doesn't realize that you actually need to make a Pro-Bowl or All-Pro, at least once, to get top dollar in Free Agency.

I actually don't think Weddle is worth that much money, but the Chargers wanted continuity in their secondary and Bob Sanders is a question mark health wise at SS.

If Goldon performs well we can offer him $24M/4 years instead of $30M/5 years. :-) LOL. Same deal just knock a year off.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There was a recent article (I think it was a Goldson interview) that said the FS and SS spots will be interchangeable in Fangio's scheme. This is similar to how things were with Manusky. So I'd expect Goldson and Whitner to start and see a lot of R. Smith in nickel. With R. Smith's strong training camp, Goldson may have a short leash. Mays simply needs to go to another team where FS and SS roles are defined.