• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the time table for the injury recoveries of Coles and Acree? Are they going to be participating in spring ball?

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang that's too bad about Mike, but we should be bringing in a lot of bodies into the secondary so it shouldn't hurt us. He's gotta do what's best for his health

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Coles is good to go and Acree should be ready by Spring. Michael Cole may be walking away from football.

That's what's important. If he does I'm sure he'll be successful in whatever he does. From all accounts he was a very hard worker.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Third time ive tried to post this but my power keeps flickering just enough to lose connection so ill make this short and sweet.

Excited about: the DB's especially excited to see what the younger guys bring to the table.

Wondering about: If there will be and shifting of position on the OL. I have a feeling we see shifting in position and on the DC from grimes.

also be interesting to see who plays RB. Honestly i think if we hold onto Harris, He and Coeman see most of the snaps this year.

Also be interesting to see if any of our young RB's end up at linebacker...

Bet the spring game has record attendance.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I predict noticeable, significant improvement in LT and the OL almost instantly. I also predict the best players get the snaps from now on

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks about Cole but I would rather him have a healthy future and education to work with than a permanent injury. He struggled at times but I liked Cole.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I predict noticeable, significant improvement in LT and the OL almost instantly. I also predict the best players get the snaps from now on

God I hope so. The one instance that really pissed me off was Michael Holmes at PR when Jarrett had been so good.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah -- but I understand .. After Dyrell suffered season ending injuries on special teams and our lack of depth in the secondary, I understand why Jarrett stopped returning punts. They should make a concerted effort in the offseason to get some of these running backs and WRs (especially those lower on the totem pole) involved in KR and PR. Asante, Burns, Gregory, etc. No reason why Jarrett, as important as he was to our defense, should've been doing it to begin with. JMO though

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah -- but I understand .. After Dyrell suffered season ending injuries on special teams and our lack of depth in the secondary, I understand why Jarrett stopped returning punts. They should make a concerted effort in the offseason to get some of these running backs and WRs (especially those lower on the totem pole) involved in KR and PR. Asante, Burns, Gregory, etc. No reason why Jarrett, as important as he was to our defense, should've been doing it to begin with. JMO though

At the same time, our special teams were so good before because we put the best guys on the field every play even if it was a punt return or block. Our starting RB used to block punts. It would suck to have a guy get hurt on a punt return or a FG block but i think thats how we get back to being a good special teams team

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with a starter being the punt returner. Andre Davis, DeAngelo Hall, Jayron Hosley. All were starters and excellent return men. None got hurt retuening punts, as I recall.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
God I hope so. The one instance that really pissed me off was Michael Holmes at PR when Jarrett had been so good.

People can defend O'Cain with Tyrod but I still think he sucked as a coach after how bad LT looked this year. There's no way the O-line talent was as bad as it was under Newsome. I don't think Newsome knew what he was doing. God I'm so glad he's gone. Oh it was much bigger than Holmes at PR but I'm not bringing it up again because that's what got me kicked off

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the same time, our special teams were so good before because we put the best guys on the field every play even if it was a punt return or block. Our starting RB used to block punts. It would suck to have a guy get hurt on a punt return or a FG block but i think thats how we get back to being a good special teams team

Special Teams Glory days

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
^ I cant find the block he had on a punt return against WVU but it is one of those hits that i will always remember.

edit here it is and Video doesnt do it justice:

Last edited by a moderator:

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People can defend O'Cain with Tyrod but I still think he sucked as a coach after how bad LT looked this year. There's no way the O-line talent was as bad as it was under Newsome. I don't think Newsome knew what he was doing. God I'm so glad he's gone. Oh it was much bigger than Holmes at PR but I'm not bringing it up again because that's what got me kicked off

Rodney Taylor is the best QB coach we've had since Kevin Rogers left. Remember the 2008 season when Tyrod developed that "hitch" in his throwing motion. O'Cain didn't fix it then. OK. I'll buy his excuse that he did want to tinker with tyrod's mechanics during the seaosn, although I find that a poor one. Well, spring practice rolls around in spring 2009 and the "hitch" remained. Tyrod's dad worked with him during the dfollowing Summer and resolved the "hitch", something O'Cain a paid professional could not do.