• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Going forward into next season

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its wierd how no one is talking about Michael Holmes alot. Call me crazy but hes going to be better than what most people imagined, and better than any runningbacks we have on our roster right now. He looks slow on film but he has sneaky speed, runs faster than most think because he has long strides and he'll have better vision than what David Wilson had. Anyone else thinks the same?

I'm not worried about him but not expecting him to be the next great VT rb either. I think he'll be good with an upside of very good but I don't expect great.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is awesome. Nothing like having a guy who is good enough to play as a freshmen. By the time he is a Jr and Sr he is going to be a stud

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sounds like unless RVD takes a step back in the fall he's the #2 guy at least. It's a good thing when you can keep JGW off the field

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like unless RVD takes a step back in the fall he's the #2 guy at least. It's a good thing when you can keep JGW off the field

The thing is, JGW wasn't bad when he got hurt, he just wasn't great just like Bud said. For our defense to be great, we need a guy who is playing great at Whip. I don't think JGW can be that guy.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, JGW wasn't bad when he got hurt, he just wasn't great just like Bud said. For our defense to be great, we need a guy who is playing great at Whip. I don't think JGW can be that guy.

agreed, JGW is who he is, an average player.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

with an interesting bit at the end about why GT agreed to playing this game as their opener...

I've heard rumors that the ACC "voluntold" Maryland and Miami to open last year on LD as well. It's not a bad idea for the ACC as a whole to have these games. It's a spot light and it leads up to Monday Night NFL the following week. FSU-Miami had great success on Labor Day. However, IMO it does tend to make it harder on fans.

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next fall, teams will kick off at the 35-yard line instead of the 30.

Also, touchbacks on free kicks will be moved to the 25-yard line instead of the 20 to encourage more touchbacks.

Offensive players in the tackle box at the snap who are not in motion are allowed to block below the waist legally without restriction

There will also be a new rule prohibiting players from leaping over blockers in an attempt to block a punt.

Changes approved for 2012 season - NCAA.com

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next fall, teams will kick off at the 35-yard line instead of the 30.

Also, touchbacks on free kicks will be moved to the 25-yard line instead of the 20 to encourage more touchbacks.

That sucks..sounds like NCAA is going this route like the NFL. While I understand the need to protect the players, this takes away from the excitement of the game IMO.

Offensive players in the tackle box at the snap who are not in motion are allowed to block below the waist legally without restriction

This surprises me a bit in light of the other two, "Safety related changes". Paul Johnson must be happier than a pig in shit right now. He and Al Groh are making out right about now..

There will also be a new rule prohibiting players from leaping over blockers in an attempt to block a punt.

Don't like this either. The player trying to block the punt is typically the one who would get injured here.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a fan of not letting guys jump over blockers. In the shield formations that back line can just stand there now without worrying of a guy going over the top to block it. It will just bring in harder hits on those guys.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find a lot of the defensive back depth chart findings interesting. Particularly Frye being the second string at FS behind Bonner, in front of McKinnon and Riley being right behind Exam at boundary corner, in front of Tookes.
http://www.beamerball.com/members/depthchart-print.asp

Does anyone have any insights on how this order was devised?

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find a lot of the defensive back depth chart findings interesting. Particularly Frye being the second string at FS behind Bonner, in front of McKinnon and Riley being right behind Exam at boundary corner, in front of Tookes.
http://www.beamerball.com/members/depthchart-print.asp

Does anyone have any insights on how this order was devised?

I think coaches often use these "early" depth charts as motivation tools. I wouldn't read into it too much. You have to think Frye will redshirt, FS has got to be one of the toughest positions for a true freshman to learn.

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, someone will have to be second string FS. Are you saying its more likely they shuffle a cornerback in there and have Manning start at 155 lbs? I'm just confused how we can afford to redshirt any safeties.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
and the more I think about it, the more I'm confused as to why RVD isn't looking at time at whip and rover. If he can play both positions, let him. I'd have to think that him playing some at rover (in the 2 deep) and playing some at whip (at the 3 deep) would be to his benefit in the long run, even if eventually he is strictly playing whip...who knows...things will shake out