• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GOAT QB

Who is the GOAT?

• Total voters

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even Tom CryBrady says he isn't as good as Joe Montana...

Bc Tommy bangs his "hot" wife at least 2-3 times a week, yes a week he realistically probably doesn't get that puss that much, during the offseason. During the season, he is banging his teammates...he simply has more important things to worry about

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sure do know - he won 2 Super Bowls without Jerry Rice.
We kinda also know that Steve Young stepped in whenever Montana got injured and the team didn't skip a beat. Montana had 1 season in particular where the Niners could have easily cut him where Montana threw more INTs than TDs.

There was obviously something really good going on with the Niners as a whole.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We kinda also know that Steve Young stepped in whenever Montana got injured and the team didn't skip a beat. Montana had 1 season in particular where the Niners could have easily cut him where Montana threw more INTs than TDs.

Actually, that isn't quite true. Young struggled quite a bit prior to 1994 that at one point there were calls for Bono to start over Young.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, that isn't quite true. Young struggled quite a bit prior to 1994 that at one point there were calls for Bono to start over Young.
I think I remember hearing calls for Bono. He was quite hyped up by the time he made his way to the Chiefs and had a decent run at things.

Montana's injuries probably derailed him from an unquestionably GOAT status. I think people still give him the benefit of the doubt but I wonder if that will hold up 20 years from now. I'm not so sure.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I remember hearing calls for Bono. He was quite hyped up by the time he made his way to the Chiefs and had a decent run at things.

Montana's injuries probably derailed him from an unquestionably GOAT status. I think people still give him the benefit of the doubt but I wonder if that will hold up 20 years from now. I'm not so sure.

I don't know about GOAT. He certainly belongs in the group. Its hard for me to come up with a single QB as number one trying to compare QBs from different eras as the game has changed so much over the years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about GOAT. He certainly belongs in the group. Its hard for me to come up with a single QB as number one trying to compare QBs from different eras as the game has changed so much over the years.
Thats kinda how I view it. I just made a top 6 list of QBs that I saw that you just knew were going to take over a game day in and day out.

1987 Montana and 1989 Montana from a statistical standpoint are pretty freakish especially when you factor in that era. That fact that 87 Montana vanished in the playoffs is also one of the bigger 'any given sunday' kind of games.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was zero chance Montana was getting cut after 1986 (the year he threw more ints/TD's) . First of all, he missed half the season due to a back injury, and when he returned, he wasn't in football shape, losing some 25 pounds. Secondly, his track record already spoke for itself, as he was already a 2 time SB Champion/SB MVP, and came off a Pro Bowl season the year before.

Steve Young stepped in and excelled because he too was an awesome QB that would've seen his career destroyed in TB had he stayed. There was a lot good going on in SF, and Montana was the biggest reason why. They certainly wouldn't keep dominating with Matt Cavanaugh or Guy Benjamin running the show year after year.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montana had 1 season in particular where the Niners could have easily cut him where Montana threw more INTs than TDs.

T

And this is what happens when people know stats but not history. No offense.

Remember what happened in week 1 that year? Joe wrecked his back, they had to actually cut parts off of a disc in his back. So bad that his doctors told him he should retire (Same surgery that ended Lee Roy Selmon's career a few years earlier). So bad he was done for the year was what the 49ers said.. We are putting him on IR. So bad that his "best in the NFL QB rating" he started the season out with sounded like it might be his last. Him stepping onto the field is why he won comeback player that year that year.

The news was nothing but how he couldn't scramble anymore, how he couldn't evade the rush, how he couldn't throw on the run anymore. That got quiet the next year when he led the league in TD passes and QB rating despite missing 4 starts.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By era...
Bart Starr
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
Troy Aikman
Tom Brady

Would rather have a dynasty QB than any other type of QB.

old1r1sh

It's a Great Day for Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 990.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the difference between the "greatest" passer of all time and the "best" passer of all time? I'd say there's a difference, but with such a subjective topic, I think it's hardly the biggest influence on each person's vote. If I were to pick any QB based solely on ability, I'd probably go Elway or Marino. If "greatness" is a measure of accomplishment, then it can only really be between 3 or 4 people. But if the "greatest-of-all-time QB" is a more vague thing, then I really don't know what the point is to be honest.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is what happens when people know stats but not history. No offense.

Remember what happened in week 1 that year? Joe wrecked his back, they had to actually cut parts off of a disc in his back. So bad that his doctors told him he should retire (Same surgery that ended Lee Roy Selmon's career a few years earlier). So bad he was done for the year was what the 49ers said.. We are putting him on IR. So bad that his "best in the NFL QB rating" he started the season out with sounded like it might be his last. Him stepping onto the field is why he won comeback player that year that year.

The news was nothing but how he couldn't scramble anymore, how he couldn't evade the rush, how he couldn't throw on the run anymore. That got quiet the next year when he led the league in TD passes and QB rating despite missing 4 starts.
I was like 5 years old at this point so no offense taken. Most of my knowledge of pre-Jerry Rice Montana comes from NFL Network and ESPN specials over the years. I do have good memories of Montana's best year as a Niner and his time in KC as well as late career Elway, Marino, Moon, Kelly and how good those Niners teams and Cowboys teams were in that era. Those teams were viewed like ESPN views Alabama in college football today. Even if those teams lost at some point, there was never a worry that they were out of super bowl contention and when they were in the Super Bowl it was just a given that they'd win.

You simply can't build those types of teams anymore. I might have Montana as the most accurate QB of all time but I don't think he or anyone else fits a GOAT status. I think Brady is the best pocket passer of all time. Rodgers and Young had the best prime of all time.

I have Brady #1 because the NFL keeps growing and he has been the most feared player during this era of NFL dominance. He had the best passing offense of all time. He has gotten lucky a couple of times and unlucky a couple of times. He doesn't lose to great QBs. He loses to great defenses which is more of a sign that the Patriots are losing and not Tom Brady is losing. He has the same 'no running game' excuse for most of his career thats held back many other top QBs.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to make it more simple to read. So far our Hoop ranking looks like:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Peyton
4. Unitas
4. Fuck the other QB's on this list, I'm a hipster and I'm going to vote other just to fuck up the poll.
6. Elway
7. Marino
7. Young
9. Otto Graham
9. Brett Favre
10. We've got a 4 way tie between Rodgers, Starr, Staubach, and Aikman
11. Poor Tarkenton has zero votes and is in last place.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to make it more simple to read. So far our Hoop ranking looks like:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Peyton
4. Unitas
4. Fuck the other QB's on this list, I'm a hipster and I'm going to vote other just to fuck up the poll.
6. Elway
7. Marino
7. Young
9. Otto Graham
9. Brett Favre
10. We've got a 4 way tie between Rodgers, Starr, Staubach, and Aikman
11. Poor Tarkenton has zero votes and is in last place.

Given the "recency" bias...this is about what I would expect.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Recently bias"? The #1 guy played 30 years ago and the #4 guy played 50 years ago.

The #4 guy should be the #1 guy. Most people on this board saw Montana play, so his fall hasn't started yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The #4 guy should be the #1 guy. Most people on this board saw Montana play, so his fall hasn't started yet.
"Your opinion differs from my opinion. Therefore, your opinion is clearly affected by some sort of bias."

The fact that you are a Baltimore fan clearly has no bearing on any bias that you may have...

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Your opinion differs from my opinion. Therefore, your opinion is clearly affected by some sort of bias."

The fact that you are a Baltimore fan clearly has no bearing on any bias that you may have...

I have not commented on your opinion, nor do I even know what your opinion is, so I'm a little confused why you are so butthurt over mine.

I do not have any other Baltimore player in any sport as the GOAT at any position...so no...I have no bias.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not commented on your opinion, nor do I even know what your opinion is, so I'm a little confused why you are so butthurt over mine.

I do not have any other Baltimore player in any sport as the GOAT at any position...so no...I have no bias.

The game of football changes so dramatically it is difficult to compare players from different eras statistically.

There are probably 6 or 7 players you could make a legitimate argument are the GOAT.