• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Glad I didn't get excited

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also REALLY glad I didn't watch/listen to any Spring games and never read a box score or what any players did. Lol I said weeks ago about not buying into the hype and being cautiously optimistic. :clap:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also REALLY glad I didn't watch/listen to any Spring games and never read a box score or what any players did. Lol I said weeks ago about not buying into the hype and being cautiously optimistic. :clap:

Thanks for sharing :lol: Like all of us thought this was the year...not!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall there were a lot of over hyped people..lol

I think a lot of people simply tried to remain slightly optimistic that the Mariners could be a sleeper team. You've got to have some amount of hope, even if it's the Mariners. In the meantime I'll just keep to my good natured cynicism mixed with speculation as to what a rational person would do to improve this team.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of the excitement was tied to the Cano signing, but even then there were conditions that the M's had to meet for the excitement to go beyond "Hey, we made a big splash!" When we signed him, I was sure that they'd have to do something else, otherwise it would look like an attempt to sell tickets to casual fans who like it when teams make big splashes. If the Cano signing was to have a bigger on-field impact than just what he brought to the table himself, it would have to be the first in a series of free agent deals or trades to improve the roster. That never happened. I don't think anyone had high expectations beyond "Hey! Maybe we'll sneak in as that second wildcard this year if every goes right." The "... if everything goes right" part was always attached to any expectations or excitement for the team.

Still, it's only April and I've never been one to give up all hope in April, so I remain optimistic. It'd help if we could get Iwakuma, Walker and Paxton back in the rotation as soon as possible and ready to pitch like we know they can. At least then there'd be less pressure on the offense to score bunches of runs just to stay competitive.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still, it's only April and I've never been one to give up all hope in April, so I remain optimistic. It'd help if we could get Iwakuma, Walker and Paxton back in the rotation as soon as possible and ready to pitch like we know they can. At least then there'd be less pressure on the offense to score bunches of runs just to stay competitive.

I don't think it does take any pressure off the offense when those guys come back. For the most part I think the pitching has been pretty good at least much better than expected. To win games this team needs to consistently score runs no matter who is on the mound.

We are talking about a truly shitty offense with very little bright spots if any. It is honestly painful to watch guys go up there with the bases loaded or guys on third with less than 2 outs and just get nothing out of it not even a ball in play. Who the fuck taught these guys how to hit? How did they get drafted? How did they make it through the minor leagues and into the majors all the while being truly shit at the game?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it does take any pressure off the offense when those guys come back. For the most part I think the pitching has been pretty good at least much better than expected. To win games this team needs to consistently score runs no matter who is on the mound.

We are talking about a truly shitty offense with very little bright spots if any. It is honestly painful to watch guys go up there with the bases loaded or guys on third with less than 2 outs and just get nothing out of it not even a ball in play. Who the fuck taught these guys how to hit? How did they get drafted? How did they make it through the minor leagues and into the majors all the while being truly shit at the game?

Felix and Elias have been good, even great, but after that it's been a mixed bag at best since Paxton went down. If Iwakuma, Walker and Paxton are right when they get back, we should see more consistency from those three spots in the rotation.

Still... I agree that this team needs to figure out how to consistently score runs regardless of who is on the mound for us and can't afford to just assume that our guys will shut the other team down everyday.