• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants worth 2 Billion Dollars

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I love Eddie D. so much is that every year he kept the peddle to the metal and went for it every year. He never skimped on anything. First class all the way. The 49ers were deep sometimes 3 men deep at every position. When they needed a player Eddie D. opened the wallet and brought him in. He also expected results and the 49ers backed him up with 5 SB Trophy's. I love Eddie D. He was always looking to KICK SOME ASS ! Always !
He also worked in an environment that had no cap or lux tax. Totally different world today.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also worked in an environment that had no cap or lux tax. Totally different world today.

So what he did what he could do and wanted it bad. There is no cap in baseball and I would like to see a little more cash thrown into the pot and build the Organization even stronger. Nothing wrong with that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying the Giants have to raise the payroll 40 million this year but at least throw us fans a bone by putting some of that money that is flowing in back into the team and really go for it all once again

I don't want to just sneak into the playoffs as a wild card and be OK with that. I want the Dodgers and I want those A- holes bad. I want to kick their ass every year in the West.
Throw the fans a bone?

Like a parade? Or a second parade? Or a third parade?

Oh, you mean pay for some good players...

The Giants have the #4 payroll in all of baseball.

Not sure what you expect them to do.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw the fans a bone?

Like a parade? Or a second parade? Or a third parade?

Oh, you mean pay for some good players...

The Giants have the #4 payroll in all of baseball.

Not sure what you expect them to do.

Hey CAL, it's cool. I love what the Giants have done and am very thankful for all three WS Championships. I just think it would not kill them to throw more into the pot with this run they are on. There is nothing wrong with making the product even stronger and wanting to compete with the Dodgers for some of these premium players. I am not asking them to match the Dodgers payroll dollar for dollar but I would like to see us win a few tug of wars for some of these players coming out of Cuba and the free agent market. There is nothing wrong with expanding your horizons and not sitting on past accomplishments. If there ever was a time to throw the hammer down it's right now in these glory years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you wanted them to sign a 30 yo Cuban infielder to a 6/60??

I am GLAD they didn't sign Oliviera to that contract.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you wanted them to sign a 30 yo Cuban infielder to a 6/60??

I am GLAD they didn't sign Oliviera to that contract.

No. I agree with you there. I think there are more players coming though and I would of liked to hold onto Morse. Morse led the team in doubles even though he missed a lot time last year. I loved his energy and his fire. I could live with his defense in left. He looked scary walking to the plate which was cool to watch. His clutch hits in the playoffs were huge. I think he deserved to stay.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I agree with you there. I think there are more players coming though and I would of liked to hold onto Morse. Morse led the team in doubles even though he missed a lot time last year. I loved his energy and his fire. I could live with his defense in left. He looked scary walking to the plate which was cool to watch. His clutch hits in the playoffs were huge. I think he deserved to stay.
But you specifically said you wanted them to sign the Cuban guys like the Dodgers.

Oliviera looks like a HORRIBLE signing, and Guerrero last year looks like a bad signing as well.

More often than not, the best place to end up in FA sweepstakes is as the loser. The Giants "won" the sweepstakes with Zito and Rowand, but few would argue that we were the actual winners in those situations.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing wrong with competing and wanting to WIN. It has nothing to do with greed. It's about dropping the fucking hammer on the competition and the will to win. This is pro sports. No one is passing out orange slices to the kids at the end of games.
The "greed" I was speaking of is with Giants ownership and them wanting to horde money instead of using it to "drop the hammer" as you said. I'm all for your suggestion.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I love Eddie D. so much is that every year he kept the peddle to the metal and went for it every year. He never skimped on anything. First class all the way. The 49ers were deep sometimes 3 men deep at every position. When they needed a player Eddie D. opened the wallet and brought him in. He also expected results and the 49ers backed him up with 5 SB Trophy's. I love Eddie D. He was always looking to KICK SOME ASS ! Always !

That is exactly the model of ownership I am looking for. I want to puke when I think about Giants ownership pocketing huge cash while we pay 50 bucks for parking and 11 dollars for a beer. Having said that, 3 out of the last 5 has me ecstatic and was beyond my wildest imagination. But even the biggest sycophants on this board who scream at the slightest critique of ownership never expected that either.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "greed" I was speaking of is with Giants ownership and them wanting to horde money instead of using it to "drop the hammer" as you said. I'm all for your suggestion.
They have the #4 payroll in all of baseball.

Those greedy bastards.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you specifically said you wanted them to sign the Cuban guys like the Dodgers.

Oliviera looks like a HORRIBLE signing, and Guerrero last year looks like a bad signing as well.

More often than not, the best place to end up in FA sweepstakes is as the loser. The Giants "won" the sweepstakes with Zito and Rowand, but few would argue that we were the actual winners in those situations.

So what? Never up, never in. You gotta take chances. That's how you find a rose, you have to weed through some thorns.

Your whole argument seems to be predicated on signing these guys would bust the budget. There is no budget except for the self-imposed one by ownership because of their greed.

And clearly I get your point that ownership is fulfilling its obligation to the fans by winning but it just doesn't seem to be a sustainable practice to accomplish long-term success. Hoping to scrape into the playoffs and get hot is not a long-term fix.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? Never up, never in. You gotta take chances. That's how you find a rose, you have to weed through some thorns.

Your whole argument seems to be predicated on signing these guys would bust the budget. There is no budget except for the self-imposed one by ownership because of their greed.

And clearly I get your point that ownership is fulfilling its obligation to the fans by winning but it just doesn't seem to be a sustainable practice to accomplish long-term success. Hoping to scrape into the playoffs and get hot is not a long-term fix.
So you propose signing as many FAs as possible IS the solution for long term success?

Signing the RIGHT FAs to good contracts is the proper course. if those do not exist this year, hold back a bit and let the org equity build to make the well-timed trade for the right guy (Joseph for Pence, for example)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the #4 payroll in all of baseball.

Those greedy bastards.
I just wish they would go after the top players instead of the bottom of the barrel guys they signd this year.

I know they got stuck on the Lincecum, Rowand and Zito contracts but that was just poor talent assessment and bad judgement. Just because they have failed miserably in free agency in the past, they can't let that scare them off from continuing to try.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish they would go after the top players instead of the bottom of the barrel guys they signd this year.

I know they got stuck on the Lincecum, Rowand and Zito contracts but that was just poor talent assessment and bad judgement. Just because they have failed miserably in free agency in the past, they can't let that scare them off from continuing to try.
No guarentee that Lester or Shields will be better investments than Aoki or McGehee. Shields would have cost a high draft pick (#19 at the time) as well as the 80M. If we had waited for Shields to be ready to sign, then we would have missed out on Peavy as well, and we got Peavy for real cheap.

Remember, Bum is going to cost the GNP of a medium size country in a couple years. The team needs to be flexible enough to be able to make that deal.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you propose signing as many FAs as possible IS the solution for long term success?

Signing the RIGHT FAs to good contracts is the proper course. if those do not exist this year, hold back a bit and let the org equity build to make the well-timed trade for the right guy (Joseph for Pence, for example)[/QUOTE]
I hope that is the plan but I don't think it is. I can't remember the last big name FA they signed. Their modus operendi seems to be more fiscal than about winning. I don't think winning this way is sustainable. I believe we are so overjoyed with the recent string of success because we feel it is so unbelievable that it could happen with this core group and the occasional tweak at the deadline.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, time to troll someone else. I am done with this topic. You believe that the org that has delivered 3 rings in 5 years is only concerned with making money, despite a mountain of contrary evidence. I get it.

Same story, different login. Your tune is as tired as ever.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No guarentee that Lester or Shields will be better investments than Aoki or McGehee. Shields would have cost a high draft pick (#19 at the time) as well as the 80M. If we had waited for Shields to be ready to sign, then we would have missed out on Peavy as well, and we got Peavy for real cheap.

Remember, Bum is going to cost the GNP of a medium size country in a couple years. The team needs to be flexible enough to be able to make that deal.

Again, you seem fixated on cost. I don't accept the Giants "budget" excuse. It held a little water when they were trying to pay off the stadium but that bill is gone and the team is rife with cash.

Secondly, there may not be a guarantee that Shields or Lester would be more successful than Aoki and McGeHee but its a pretty good bet based on past peformance.

I think the problem is we look at the situation in two different ways. You certainly have the upper hand because of the team's recent success but it seems more like an abberation than a sustainable plan.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, time to troll someone else. I am done with this topic. You believe that the org that has delivered 3 rings in 5 years is only concerned with making money, despite a mountain of contrary evidence. I get it.

Same story, different login. Your tune is as tired as ever.
That excuse is so tired. You always eventually fall back on that old nonsense.

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CAL, I agreed that the Giants won 3 Championships and everyone is grateful for that but you did'nt answer why the Giants did not bring Morse back whose power could be welcomed back with open arms. Morse got 2 years 16 MIL and a 1 MIL signing bonus. Miami made some big moves and snagged him.Why did'nt the Giants make a play for him. To me he was worth the money to keep him but the Giants let him go with no fight at all. What is so wrong about throwing some extra bucks into the pot to keep him. There is nothing wrong with spending a little more to keep the team strong and improve. I did not say to match the Dodgers dollar for dollar but keeping Morse should of been a priority especially when Sandoval skipped off to Boston.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CAL, I agreed that the Giants won 3 Championships and everyone is grateful for that but you did'nt answer why the Giants did not bring Morse back whose power could be welcomed back with open arms. Morse got 2 years 16 MIL and a 1 MIL signing bonus. Miami made some big moves and snagged him.Why did'nt the Giants make a play for him. To me he was worth the money to keep him but the Giants let him go with no fight at all. What is so wrong about throwing some extra bucks into the pot to keep him. There is nothing wrong with spending a little more to keep the team strong and improve. I did not say to match the Dodgers dollar for dollar but keeping Morse should of been a priority especially when Sandoval skipped off to Boston.
Good post.

I disagree with it, but I can respect a difference in opinion.

For me (and the Giants), defense is super important, and Morse was a huge liability in the field. Further, he was a major offensive asset (maybe enough to carry his bad D) for the first month or so of the season in '14, but then he completely disappeared save for about 3 ABs in the post season.

I also like Morse for his presence in the clubhouse and his threat of power from the bench. But I think his roster-spot was better served adding a player like Aoki, who plays average-to-slightly above average defense at both corner OF positions and can "solve" our lead-off problems when/if Pagan goes down.