• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants to sign Cueto

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants aren't going to sign another big contract, unless it's an extension for a player currently on the roster. I'm totally fine with J/Mac, and maybe a depth guy for LF.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Austin Jackson too big a name for us at this point? What is he looking for?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't be looking for too much. Haven't heard his name in the rumor mill at all.
I focus on him because I want a 3.5 type CFer. Byrd is a 3.5 RF. Blanco is a 3.5 CF/LF.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again the front office is making solid moves, without jeopardizing the future. We're really lucky to root for a team like this. Are there risks? Of course....but I have no problem with anything they've done including getting 2 #2 pitchers for the price of one ace. They do need another OF but it doesn't have to be a star.

Should be a fun NL West race. When all the deals are done we can make our picks for division winners, playoffs, biggest surprise team, biggest disappointment team, etc.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have a solid playoff team. If we can find a speedy lf who can steal and hit for average we are getting another ring if everyone stays healthy!

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have a solid playoff team. If we can find a speedy lf who can steal and hit for average we are getting another ring if everyone stays healthy!

I like the enthusiasm but come on, you know that's not how it works. How do those Nationals championship rings look from 2015?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson, Rajai Davis or Marlon Byrd would be nice Pagan insurance. Let Mac Williamson start in AAA, Blanco and AJax/Raj/Byrd platoon in LF, Jarrett Parker is 5th outfielder/pinch-hitter extraordinaire. Once Pagan goes down, Blanco moves to CF, AJax/Raj/Byrd go full time LF and Mac or Kyle Blanks can come up.

Heck, even DeAza would be solid. There's also this Korean Hyun-soo Kim. Should only cost $5M/year, 27 years old.

Last edited:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is coincidence, but perhaps the Free Agent Class of 2015-2016 has recognized what a dumpster fire the Dodgers have become. Seemingly, no one wants to sign there.

One cannot underestimate the cost of having a clubhouse cancer or two around. And now they have hired a manager with no managerial experience.

Are they going to become the Oakland Raiders of MLB?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is coincidence, but perhaps the Free Agent Class of 2015-2016 has recognized what a dumpster fire the Dodgers have become. Seemingly, no one wants to sign there.

One cannot underestimate the cost of having a clubhouse cancer or two around. And now they have hired a manager with no managerial experience.

I think I meant "One cannot overestimate the cost...". LOL.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We can only hope.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

$300 million can buy a lot of fire extinguishers.

I like Roberts, seems like a good guy. But I think he will be completely overwhelmed by the personalities in the clubhouse, the expectations of the ownership group, and the expectations of Dodger fans. But hey, it might work, the Warriors hired Steve Kerr and it worked out fine. I don't think Roberts has near the breadth and richness of the experiences Kerr had to prepare him, though.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Roberts, seems like a good guy. But I think he will be completely overwhelmed by the personalities in the clubhouse, the expectations of the ownership group, and the expectations of Dodger fans. But hey, it might work, the Warriors hired Steve Kerr and it worked out fine. I don't think Roberts has near the breadth and richness of the experiences Kerr had to prepare him, though.

I was just talking to a doyerfan in the office. He brings up something I didn't know. Their TV deal is being held up, so they do not have the funds that they thought they were getting. They will eventually get those funds, but their ability to spend like drunken sailors has been curtailed for the near future. He also said that "anybody but Kapler" was the general consensus for manager.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't wish outright ill on the LAD's. But, I agree, with their clubhouse the way it is, and with their budget, they could have hired anyone available. Seems like they need a Bobby Valentine-type. An ass-kicker, name-taker. Roberts seems like a huge risk for them - I fully expect him to get run over in fairly short order. Seems like they'd want someone who they knew was strong and with a track record.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't wish outright ill on the LAD's. But, I agree, with their clubhouse the way it is, and with their budget, they could have hired anyone available. Seems like they need a Bobby Valentine-type. An ass-kicker, name-taker. Roberts seems like a huge risk for them - I fully expect him to get run over in fairly short order. Seems like they'd want someone who they knew was strong and with a track record.
Jim Leyland, I am sure, is happy in retirement and probably wants nothing to do with that org right now.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Leyland, I am sure, is happy in retirement and probably wants nothing to do with that org right now.
la_u_colletti01_200.jpg

Agent Ned says, "Hey, there's more than one way to get the job done!"

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just talking to a doyerfan in the office. He brings up something I didn't know. Their TV deal is being held up, so they do not have the funds that they thought they were getting. They will eventually get those funds, but their ability to spend like drunken sailors has been curtailed for the near future. He also said that "anybody but Kapler" was the general consensus for manager.

I haven't been able to find any details online that payments haven't been made.

What I did learn :
* Time Warner Cable is losing about $100M/yr because of the TV deal - they can't get any other big cable operators to pay for the channel. I also read that TWC *may* take a $1B writedown on the TV deal.
* About 70% of the 'down south' viewers can't get the games on TV. That reduces (by a LOT) how much TWC-SportsNetLA can earn by selling advertising time.
* The Dodgers (or the group that owns them - not clear which) are the majority owners in TWC-SportsNetLA. Thus failure to collect revenue from advertisers hurts the owners (or the team, or both)

But what I *didn't* find are any facts about (or numbers on) any actual loss of revenue to the Dodgers - such as "their TV deal being held up".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't been able to find any details online that payments haven't been made.

What I did learn :
* Time Warner Cable is losing about $100M/yr because of the TV deal - they can't get any other big cable operators to pay for the channel. I also read that TWC *may* take a $1B writedown on the TV deal.
* About 70% of the 'down south' viewers can't get the games on TV. That reduces (by a LOT) how much TWC-SportsNetLA can earn by selling advertising time.
* The Dodgers (or the group that owns them - not clear which) are the majority owners in TWC-SportsNetLA. Thus failure to collect revenue from advertisers hurts the owners (or the team, or both)

But what I *didn't* find are any facts about (or numbers on) any actual loss of revenue to the Dodgers - such as "their TV deal being held up".

I didn't ask him for the specifics...will do at next opportunity. My understanding (from him) was that the money they were expecting from the TV deal is less than anticipated. Maybe that has to do with decreased advertising revenue?

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't ask him for the specifics...will do at next opportunity. My understanding (from him) was that the money they were expecting from the TV deal is less than anticipated. Maybe that has to do with decreased advertising revenue?

That certainly makes sense. If you're on anything other than TWC, you can't get the games unless it's a national broadcast (ESPN or Fox games). I have to imagine that dramatically reduces their viewership, particularly since most Dodger fans pirate their signal from decent, law-abiding citizens who aren't necessarily cable subscribers. I believe the LA county jail has Dish, so that cuts out another huge swath of their fanbase.