• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants looking to add a high-profile executive

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a name for you, Perry Minasian. He's their VP of baseball ops and assistant GM, aka Bobby's old job before 2015. Giants could give him a nice promotion.

I like it. I was listening to the radio where I live and they were talking about how many top of the rotation starting pitching prospects the braves have and it is unreal. A lot of them are in high levels of the minors or already in the majors. Young guys too, like under 22 years old. I don’t know if its this Perry Minasian you speak of or just really good scouts but the giants should take notes.

BeerMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I don’t mean to bash the Giants understanding of pitching prospects, they really do a good job of that. It seems we kinda struggle on the offensive side for some reason. I can’t think of too many recent offensive players besides posey that have really panned out

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. I was listening to the radio where I live and they were talking about how many top of the rotation starting pitching prospects the braves have and it is unreal. A lot of them are in high levels of the minors or already in the majors. Young guys too, like under 22 years old. I don’t know if its this Perry Minasian you speak of or just really good scouts but the giants should take notes.

I'd definitely be looking to poach from them, the Indians, the A's, the Yankees, the Astros, the dodgers (yuck), the Padres. Very smart, progressive teams.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Baer just said so
giphy.gif

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Baer just said so

Ah, the always dreaded vote of confidence.

I really don't see Noggin going anywhere, unless he decides to hang it up after this season, which I doubt. He'll win a few more games, move up a notch on the all-time managers for wins, then retire next year.

We need a new organizational philosophy, as the current one is not working. IS.NOT.WORKING. Check me, Sabes.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and I don’t mean to bash the Giants understanding of pitching prospects, they really do a good job of that. It seems we kinda struggle on the offensive side for some reason. I can’t think of too many recent offensive players besides posey that have really panned out

Crawford and Belt are pretty much it. I guess we can count Panda too but that was a long time ago.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford and Belt are pretty much it. I guess we can count Panda too but that was a long time ago.
Duffy has done fine and Panik was a stud before he broke his back. Hard to blame an organizational philosophy for major injuries like that.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to trade away Belt, Crawford, and Bumgarner for prospects. We need a total rebuild. To9o bad we are stuck with old has been pitchers making too much money.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to trade away Belt, Crawford, and Bumgarner for prospects. We need a total rebuild. To9o bad we are stuck with old has been pitchers making too much money.

Belt's not gonna get you anything after knee surgery. I just don't see them trading Crawford. Even if they wanted to, someone has to play SS and they don't really have anyone close who can. Guess it depends how much value they get out of Crawford, I don't think it would be enough to make it worth while.

Bum will be interesting, probably the first big decision the new F.O. will have to make.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah to me it's just like how much do these changes really help if you're still keeping the over-arching methods the same, more-or-less? For example the coaching staff had a pretty big overhaul last year and they preached that they were entering a new, more analytical process. Now it's not like I expected it to change over night, but what really changed all that much? It was still Bochy's show.

So I have the same feeling with the front office right now. You fire Evans, who from what it sounds like has been one of the more progressive and analytical-based voices in the F.O., because you have to blame someone (and there's no denying that many of the moves have backfired) but if you keep Sabean and the majority of the front office, what changes?

I wouldn't mind a philosophical change at all, rebuild the front office with new blood. Someone like Zaidi or David Forst from the A's or Matt Ferry of the Yankees. The problem is anyone for the job is probably going to have Sabean looking over their shoulder. IMO, they should go all-in. If you fire Evans, clean house. Otherwise it's just a lateral move.

Larry Baer said this morning on KNBR that the new person will have the freedom to reshape the scouting department and the rest of the organization. He will be reporting directly to Larry Baer and not Sabean. So if Larry Baer is to be believed, they are willing to make significant changes to the organization.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larry Baer said this morning on KNBR that the new person will have the freedom to reshape the scouting department and the rest of the organization. He will be reporting directly to Larry Baer and not Sabean. So if Larry Baer is to be believed, they are willing to make significant changes to the organization.

Good. I'd think John Barr is definitely the next to go. Hopefully this new person gets along with David Bell or else it'd be a very short tenure for him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the sense that the regime is not necisarily looking to boot Boch, but they are open to it if the new FO wants to go in that direction.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the sense that the regime is not necisarily looking to boot Boch, but they are open to it if the new FO wants to go in that direction.

Yes, that is the sense I get from some of the stories I've read and interviews.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the frustration, but Posey doesn’t sound like he’s ready to give up the tools of ignorance just yet and Belt is probably about as low as he can go trade value-wise.

In my humble opinion:

Even though he’s the player I’d like to see go the least.....Bum makes the most sense. Get as much as you can this offseason. Tell him and his agent that we love him and we’ll do him a solid by trading him to a playoff contender.....just come back and give us a chance to match your best offer after the 2019 season.

Hope for a bounce-back season from Posey after his hip surgery.....hope that can spark LOLngoria for a decent middle of the order.

Trade Sammy and Melancon at the trade deadline for nothing after theor semi-respectable 2019 campaigns (low 4 era and health/velocity for Sam and good peripherals across the board for Melancon). Addition by abortion.

Do not sign Harper or Machado. If DJ Lemahieu can be had for a decent 3-5 year contract, go get it.

Sign a guy like Drew Pomeranz looking for a rebound year in a much better park to take over some of Bum’s innings.

Keep your strong BP in tact (unless somebody is willing to overpay for Strick or Watson).

Hire the right GM, let the kids play (Mac and Duggar) and Deal with the pain of the 2019 season.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the frustration, but Posey doesn’t sound like he’s ready to give up the tools of ignorance just yet and Belt is probably about as low as he can go trade value-wise.

In my humble opinion:

Even though he’s the player I’d like to see go the least.....Bum makes the most sense. Get as much as you can this offseason. Tell him and his agent that we love him and we’ll do him a solid by trading him to a playoff contender.....just come back and give us a chance to match your best offer after the 2019 season.

Hope for a bounce-back season from Posey after his hip surgery.....hope that can spark LOLngoria for a decent middle of the order.

Trade Sammy and Melancon at the trade deadline for nothing after theor semi-respectable 2019 campaigns (low 4 era and health/velocity for Sam and good peripherals across the board for Melancon). Addition by abortion.

Do not sign Harper or Machado. If DJ Lemahieu can be had for a decent 3-5 year contract, go get it.

Sign a guy like Drew Pomeranz looking for a rebound year in a much better park to take over some of Bum’s innings.

Keep your strong BP in tact (unless somebody is willing to overpay for Strick or Watson).

Hire the right GM, let the kids play (Mac and Duggar) and Deal with the pain of the 2019 season.

I hate to say it but Bumgarner is EXACTLY what Atlanta needs. That team will own their division again for years. We could get a nice haul back.