• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Get Rid Of The Shift?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this "get rid of the shift" is just major league whining. Stack all 8 defenders in the infield if you want. What's next? You can't move your OF around? Just keep the DH out of the NL and I'm good.
I am actually slowly coming around to the “Ban the Shift” side of the argument. But on,y apply very slight rules...

1) only 3 players allowed on the outfield grass (this will require some rules defining “outfield grass”)

2) 2 players on each side of 2nd base. This would require a new line getting chalked on the field.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually slowly coming around to the “Ban the Shift” side of the argument. But on,y apply very slight rules...

1) only 3 players allowed on the outfield grass (this will require some rules defining “outfield grass”)

2) 2 players on each side of 2nd base. This would require a new line getting chalked on the field.

The league doesn't even know what the infield fly rule is so there is no way they will be able to "define" the outfield grass

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The league doesn't even know what the infield fly rule is so there is no way they will be able to "define" the outfield grass

I remember a game I was at almost 20 years ago where Bonds was at bat with the bases loaded and hit a HIGH infield popup. Ump called it (all the umps had one arm in the air, IIRC), the 2 or three converging infielders couldn't catch it (it dropped right in front of the plate and I guess that the catcher lost it in the sky/sun) so fair ball (they think). One of the opposing players grabbed it on the bounce, stepped on the plate for the force and then looked at first and/or second to keep the runners close (so they wouldn't tag up) and he slowly wanders back towards the mound (away from the plate). Whoever was on third (Neifi? Grissom?) just sort of walked towards home, then sprinted the last few feet and touched home. The ump called him safe. The two infielders (3B and catcher?) started arguing with the ump (the Giants runners advanced during the arguing). IIRC the homeplate ump even signaled an out when Bonds' popup hit the ground. Then the opposing manager came out of the dugout and started yelling AT HIS OWN PLAYERS because the infield fly rule had been called and signaled and so obviously the runner from 3rd was safe. I don't think I've ever seen a more pissed off manager at PacBell than that. IIRC, no timeout was called, so I was surprised that the other manager wassn't ejected for stepping on the field when the ball was live. But maybe I missed the call. Or just misremembering.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a game I was at almost 20 years ago where Bonds was at bat with the bases loaded and hit a HIGH infield popup. Ump called it (all the umps had one arm in the air, IIRC), the 2 or three converging infielders couldn't catch it (it dropped right in front of the plate and I guess that the catcher lost it in the sky/sun) so fair ball (they think). One of the opposing players grabbed it on the bounce, stepped on the plate for the force and then looked at first and/or second to keep the runners close (so they wouldn't tag up) and he slowly wanders back towards the mound (away from the plate). Whoever was on third (Neifi? Grissom?) just sort of walked towards home, then sprinted the last few feet and touched home. The ump called him safe. The two infielders (3B and catcher?) started arguing with the ump (the Giants runners advanced during the arguing). IIRC the homeplate ump even signaled an out when Bonds' popup hit the ground. Then the opposing manager came out of the dugout and started yelling AT HIS OWN PLAYERS because the infield fly rule had been called and signaled and so obviously the runner from 3rd was safe. I don't think I've ever seen a more pissed off manager at PacBell than that. IIRC, no timeout was called, so I was surprised that the other manager wassn't ejected for stepping on the field when the ball was live. But maybe I missed the call. Or just misremembering.

I don't know which of you to be more impressed by - Marco, for your clear memory of an event that long ago or cal, for your ability to take what he described and find that video.
Its interesting the names on the Expos' side. You've got Frank Robinson - the former Giants' manager. Michael Barrett, who would later become a Giants' fan favorite just for clocking AJ in Chicago. And you've got Fernando Tatis, Sr, who may live his potential through his son.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know which of you to be more impressed by - Marco, for your clear memory of an event that long ago or cal, for your ability to take what he described and find that video.
Its interesting the names on the Expos' side. You've got Frank Robinson - the former Giants' manager. Michael Barrett, who would later become a Giants' fan favorite just for clocking AJ in Chicago. And you've got Fernando Tatis, Sr, who may live his potential through his son.
Not to mention those AWESOME Montreal Unis....I hope they get another team soon.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely Marco. I found it on YouTube with just my second search. It wasn’t that tough to find.

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After following the falcons and the hawks for so long as an ATL sports fan for me that was kind of a straw that broke the camel’s back. I stopped getting as deeply invested in sports after that.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After following the falcons and the hawks for so long as an ATL sports fan for me that was kind of a straw that broke the camel’s back. I stopped getting as deeply invested in sports after that.
I doubt you will find many Cardinal fans who would begrudge your frustration with that one. Absolutely a game-changing horrible call there.

I don’t remember the protest resolution on that. What happened with the protest? Obviously it was refused, but was there any explanation from the league?