• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Georgia announces two-year extension for Mark Richt

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia announces two-year extension for Mark Richt

By Tom Fornelli | College Football Writer

January 21, 2015 3:00 pm ET

The reported contract extension for Georgia coach Mark Richt is now official, as the school announced the new deal on Wednesday.
"I appreciate the confidence that Greg McGarity has in the direction of our football program and how we represent the University of Georgia,” said Richt. “Our staff has an outstanding work ethic and we are committed to the development of our student-athletes on and off the field."
Richt's new two-year extension will run through the 2019 season, and he'll receive a raise to $4 million a year. Richt had been making $3.2 million a year.
Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity wrote an email to boosters earlier this month that the school was working on an extension for Richt.
Richt has been at Georgia for 14 seasons with the Bulldogs going 136-48 in that time. He's won two SEC titles in that time -- though the last was in 2005 -- and the Bulldogs have won 40 games and two SEC East titles in the last four seasons. Georgia's 2015 recruiting class is currently ranked sixth nationally in 247Sports' composite rankings

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richt is, without a doubt, the most proficient coach there is when it comes to being rewarded for mediocrity. Keep it up, Coach. We want you to stay in Athens forever.
:suds:

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
9 10 win seasons in his 14 years, if we could just get over the hump.

I've always argued that it's tough to try and move on to another guy to take you to the next level, when he's been so consistently good at winning games. You don't want to end up taking a step back

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he underachieves, but who else do you bring in? I guess they had to...

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at having terrible coaches and continuing to keep them around.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol at having terrible coaches and continuing to keep them around.

I'd LOVE to have had Richt at Michigan the past 7-8 years. I know he hasn't gotten UGA over the hump yet, but they have won an amazing amount of games in his tenure in Athens. He's also brought in some amazing recruits while he has been there. Outside of Saban, Meyer, and probably Fisher, what current coach has had a more consistent coaching resume over the past decade or so? I'm sure there are a few more, but the guy is definitely a top 10 coach, in terms of results, the past 10-12 years.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of this contract he'll be around 60 according to the SVP show.

Great coach but never over the hump. I think you keep him because there is no one better they are going to get. As long as he keeps winning a lot of games and recruiting well you keep the guy on and hopes he gets you that championship.

MnB09 I hope you're joking. He's a much better coach that Hoke and the coaches before him. Give him his credit where credit is due. As Belcher said Michigan would have loved to have him had they not gotten Harbaugh

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of this contract he'll be around 60 according to the SVP show.

Great coach but never over the hump. I think you keep him because there is no one better they are going to get. As long as he keeps winning a lot of games and recruiting well you keep the guy on and hopes he gets you that championship.

MnB09 I hope you're joking. He's a much better coach that Hoke and the coaches before him. Give him his credit where credit is due. As Belcher said Michigan would have loved to have him had they not gotten Harbaugh

But Hoke has them moving in the right direction. In a few more decades they will be competing for a division title. Just give Hoke time.

axisoftime

Drinkslinger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd LOVE to have had Richt at Michigan the past 7-8 years. I know he hasn't gotten UGA over the hump yet, but they have won an amazing amount of games in his tenure in Athens. He's also brought in some amazing recruits while he has been there. Outside of Saban, Meyer, and probably Fisher, what current coach has had a more consistent coaching resume over the past decade or so? I'm sure there are a few more, but the guy is definitely a top 10 coach, in terms of results, the past 10-12 years.

Agreed. Mark Richt is a good coach. Won 2 SEC titles before 2 of the best coaches in history rolled through the SEC. Runs a clean, solid program. Would not mind seeing him win the SEC again.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Richt. I hope he can get UGA over the hump. I think he is one guy who deserves it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wouldn't, because he'd be good enough to keep him here but not good enough to really win us anything. I'd take losing for 8 years to end up with Harbaugh any day.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took Vince Dooley 16 years to win the Natty :suds:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't, because he'd be good enough to keep him here but not good enough to really win us anything. I'd take losing for 8 years to end up with Harbaugh any day.

:L
Richt has had 75 wins in the past 8 seasons. So you wouldn't trade out the past 8 seasons for 75 wins? I think Harbaugh will be pretty successful, and may just bring us a championship, but if I were given the chance to go back in time and choose Richt as Michigan's head coach when Carr retired, I'd do it in a second. Even if it meant we missed out on Harbaugh.

Don't get me wrong, I choose Harbaugh over Richt every time, but I'd do anything to erase the past 8 seasons. We're just lucky that people still view Michigan football as relevant. I mean if Harbaugh didn't come, we may be looking at the end of Michigan football as we all knew it growing up. I honestly was pretty worried when they were giving free tickets with a purchase of a coke.

Regardless, Richt is a darn good coach and has averaged nearly 10 wins a season in a conference that had 4 different teams win 8 national championships in his 14 seasons as coach at UGA. That is definitely an impressive fete, and that praise is coming from a guy who doesn't like them at all!

Norka!

High Dummies, Friends & Lovers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 764.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Richt. I hope he can get UGA over the hump. I think he is one guy who deserves it.

Hi Erie and good morning! The way some of UGA's own fans complain about Richt, (only after a loss of course) makes me a little uneasy. Sometimes I think he could use a little more 'fire' in his approach to the game but that's not his style and something that I've never seen him do is belittle or embarrass his players during a game, he's a class act and as far as getting over the hump, when you get as close as UGA has gotten... you stick with it.

Take Pitt for example, Wannstedt was a Pitt man through and through and I was disappointed when he got fired and since his firing Pitt has become a revolving door for head coaches so my point is the grass ain't always greener on the other side.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L
Richt has had 75 wins in the past 8 seasons. So you wouldn't trade out the past 8 seasons for 75 wins? I think Harbaugh will be pretty successful, and may just bring us a championship, but if I were given the chance to go back in time and choose Richt as Michigan's head coach when Carr retired, I'd do it in a second. Even if it meant we missed out on Harbaugh.

Don't get me wrong, I choose Harbaugh over Richt every time, but I'd do anything to erase the past 8 seasons. We're just lucky that people still view Michigan football as relevant. I mean if Harbaugh didn't come, we may be looking at the end of Michigan football as we all knew it growing up. I honestly was pretty worried when they were giving free tickets with a purchase of a coke.

Regardless, Richt is a darn good coach and has averaged nearly 10 wins a season in a conference that had 4 different teams win 8 national championships in his 14 seasons as coach at UGA. That is definitely an impressive fete, and that praise is coming from a guy who doesn't like them at all!

Richt is a terrible coach.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richt is a terrible coach.

I heard the same thing about Bo from most everyone in the south. They were wrong, and I think you are too. While Richt is not a top tier coach, he is definitely just a notch below that. Richt is probably in the top ten when it comes to wins, of all D-I coaches the past 10-12 years. Richt is an incredible recruiter (part of being a coach), and probably an average X's and O's coach. I still think he is a pretty darn good coach all around. Just my two cents.