• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Sisler

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine hitting .420? AND STEAL 51 bases! And not his best year, maybe.
If this guy had been a slugger, Babe Ruth would be an afterthought.

GEORGE SISLER

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you imagine hitting .420? AND STEAL 51 bases! And not his best year, maybe.
If this guy had been a slugger, Babe Ruth would be an afterthought.

GEORGE SISLER

The only one who could would be Ty Cobb. In 1911, he also hit .420. However, he stole 83 bags. Hell, he also drove in a career high 127 runs that year as well.

But, these days are over.....

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sisler was clearly in Ruth's shadow. I can't say exactly when the dead ball era ends, generally with the arrival of Ruth on the scene. Sisler's career is incredible.

Cobb, of course, hated the long ball. I suppose to some end it depended on the ballpark.

The only other guy who is unworldly is Rogers Hornsby.

Look at Hornsby's strikeout totals. 9500 PA and less than 700 Ks. Un-fuckin-real.

HERE

And Cobb makes Hornsby look like a AAAA player!

Part of that, I think, was the gloves they wore in those days.

COBB

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys were historically awesome-would have been studs today too...There were others later...DiMaggio and Williams had incredible numbers through brief careers...Willie Mays, Stan Musial and Hank Aaron had massive careers...some lesser "gods" like Wade Boggs, Tony Gwynn, Rod Carew, Roberto Clemente, George Brett, Johnny Bench, and Pete Rose were amazing in their own time, but would have been legends way back too.

Manny Ramirez couldn't have carried Carl Yastrzemki's luggage without the horse fertilizer... Rickey Henderson was Lou Brock on steroids...literally. Barry Bonds was a legit 550 HR guy that committed fraud for an extra 200. Bob Gibson would have spanked Roger Clemens like a child. Steve Carlton might not belong in this conversation, but he made Kershaw look like a LOOGY.