• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Laraque pipes in

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that earlier puck and you're right. Good read.

KillerVee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosh. That article made me feel really sad.

Rossinole

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was really nothing more than a well thought-out version of the pro-fighting arguments you typically hear. That said it was still an interesting read.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm pro fighting, but I don't really want the king of the stage(d) making any arguments...

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Magoo banned again?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, just looked at all his recent posts and see nothing worthy of ban material. Just curious, I'll leave it out of this thread... Just curiosity.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, didnt see it... oh well.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some words and thoughts from Rob Ray...

Rob Ray played in 900 NHL games over 16 seasons. He had 237 fights and amassed 3,207 penalty minutes. Ray spent a career putting his body on the line for his teammates as a hockey enforcer. Yet only once did a teammate actually thank him.

"It was Patty [LaFontaine]," Ray said Saturday, "because he understood it. He knew how important my job was for him to be able to play his game."

The life of a hockey enforcer can be a violent and thankless one. As recent events suggest, it can be a tragically short one as well. Over the last four months, three NHL enforcers have died young, igniting a debate over fighting in hockey and the physical and mental trauma that can result from serving such a violent, stressful role.

Did the strain of fighting wear on him, too? Ray couldn't say. Now and then, he'll have some mental lapse and attribute it to age. He's 43.

"You stay busy all the time," he said. "You run three businesses and you're always on the go. Maybe that's the part that helps you. It keeps your mind preoccupied and you don't have the time to sit and think about these things. So how do you really know?"

The rest of the story. Not a bad read.....

Enforcer role leads to mental strain, too - Jerry Sullivan - The Buffalo News

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some words and thoughts from Rob Ray...

Rob Ray played in 900 NHL games over 16 seasons. He had 237 fights and amassed 3,207 penalty minutes. Ray spent a career putting his body on the line for his teammates as a hockey enforcer. Yet only once did a teammate actually thank him.

"It was Patty [LaFontaine]," Ray said Saturday, "because he understood it. He knew how important my job was for him to be able to play his game."

The life of a hockey enforcer can be a violent and thankless one. As recent events suggest, it can be a tragically short one as well. Over the last four months, three NHL enforcers have died young, igniting a debate over fighting in hockey and the physical and mental trauma that can result from serving such a violent, stressful role.

Did the strain of fighting wear on him, too? Ray couldn't say. Now and then, he'll have some mental lapse and attribute it to age. He's 43.

"You stay busy all the time," he said. "You run three businesses and you're always on the go. Maybe that's the part that helps you. It keeps your mind preoccupied and you don't have the time to sit and think about these things. So how do you really know?"

The rest of the story. Not a bad read.....

Enforcer role leads to mental strain, too - Jerry Sullivan - The Buffalo News

That's shocking Boss. The only player who ever thanked him was LaFontaine? Unbelievable. Nobody else in the Sabres organization at the time realized that what Ray did made it easier for them to play the game? All I can say is WOW!!

My team's owner paid 100 grand for what his team did against Pittsburgh & didn't say a word. In fact the teams GM & Head Coach defended their players. Do you think the Sabres would do the same?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's shocking Boss. The only player who ever thanked him was LaFontaine? Unbelievable. Nobody else in the Sabres organization at the time realized that what Ray did made it easier for them to play the game? All I can say is WOW!!

My team's owner paid 100 grand for what his team did against Pittsburgh & didn't say a word. In fact the teams GM & Head Coach defended their players. Do you think the Sabres would do the same?

Yes that is sad to hear for sure and very disturbing, talk about unappreciated? and yes I think Mr Pegula will pay what ever it takes to win although I do believe he wants to win with a team that plays good sound solid hockey.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that is sad to hear for sure and very disturbing, talk about unappreciated? and yes I think Mr Pegula will pay what ever it takes to win although I do believe he wants to win with a team that plays good sound solid hockey.

I definately think Pegula will do what's necessary to help his team win. Ray's era is over. The only position I think Buffalo needs to improve upon is Center, but that could be said for almost every team in the league. The great thing for Regier is he has a very good farm system. If he feels the Sabres need to make a move to fill a need he can do it without a problem.