• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Karl: Wait wut?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Karl wasn't an innovative coach either. He just knew how to use talent to a certain degree when he had it. For as good as the Nuggets were with Melo, Karl could only manage to get out of the 1st round once during his time in Denver.
If you ask Karl, it's mostly because Melo, KMart too, didn't have a Dad.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George Karl wasn't an innovative coach either. He just knew how to use talent to a certain degree when he had it. For as good as the Nuggets were with Melo, Karl could only manage to get out of the 1st round once during his time in Denver.
That's partly why I didn't think he was all that great, but I have to hand it to him - He seemed to get the luck of the draw with more than 50% of the teams visiting Denver were coming in tired. The reason that is important is because Denver is like 12000 ft in altitude, so it normally takes a day or two for a normal person to adjust to the altitude. Without even the benefit of a good night's rest - most of the teams didn't have a chance to acclimate and would have to play with their lungs burning from shortness of breath. Karl knew how to really utilize that to his advantage and for some strange reason - no one else seemed to know how. Really weird if I am right

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's partly why I didn't think he was all that great, but I have to hand it to him - He seemed to get the luck of the draw with more than 50% of the teams visiting Denver were coming in tired. The reason that is important is because Denver is like 12000 ft in altitude, so it normally takes a day or two for a normal person to adjust to the altitude. Without even the benefit of a good night's rest - most of the teams didn't have a chance to acclimate and would have to play with their lungs burning from shortness of breath. Karl knew how to really utilize that to his advantage and for some strange reason - no one else seemed to know how. Really weird if I am right

I think you're overvaluing the high altitude and it doesn't go to 12000 ft over there. Also, I still doubt that every single team that comes into Denver is rolling in at 1am on a back-to-back. Besides, if this was the norm, games are played in the evening where these players can sleep in until noon or 1pm.

Once again, Karl wasn't an elite coach like Popovich, but he wasn't a scrub that just benefited from a high altitude - he had a talented roster with Melo, Kenyon Martin, JR and other players.

The reason why Denver's not that good now is because they don't have talent. That's it.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're overvaluing the high altitude and it doesn't go to 12000 ft over there. Also, I still doubt that every single team that comes into Denver is rolling in at 1am on a back-to-back. Besides, if this was the norm, games are played in the evening where these players can sleep in until noon or 1pm.

Once again, Karl wasn't an elite coach like Popovich, but he wasn't a scrub that just benefited from a high altitude - he had a talented roster with Melo, Kenyon Martin, JR and other players.

The reason why Denver's not that good now is because they don't have talent. That's it.
I counted it and calculated it to be about 60% - but that's still high enough and with Karl, they did have the talent to capitalize on it.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I counted it and calculated it to be about 60% - but that's still high enough and with Karl, they did have the talent to capitalize on it.

He also coached the Sonics when they won 64 games and made it to the NBA Finals.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That George Karl book has all kinds of players losing their shit.

It's a better soap opera than The Decision, Durant to the Warriors or even Charles Barkley bitching about Girly Ball.

But still not as good as Shaq- Kobe. That is still the greatest soap opera in NBA history.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what? Just because he didn't win a title doesn't make him a scrub coach.
I never said he was good coach and in fact in his younger years I think he was very good coach that simply never was able to get any of his teams a championship. I do think though, that the NBA and coaches like Karl, Phil Jackson have lost touch with how the NBA is played and it's time to step aside for new blood. Karl's record in Sacramento as head coach and statements about Carmelo alone proves that. There is a saying - Don't ever burn bridges and trash talking your former employees as Karl did about Carmelo is something that as a player I would be wary of when considering what team I sign with.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he was good coach and in fact in his younger years I think he was very good coach that simply never was able to get any of his teams a championship. I do think though, that the NBA and coaches like Karl, Phil Jackson have lost touch with how the NBA is played and it's time to step aside for new blood. Karl's record in Sacramento as head coach and statements about Carmelo alone proves that. There is a saying - Don't ever burn bridges and trash talking your former employees as Karl did about Carmelo is something that as a player I would be wary of when considering what team I sign with.

How many NBA Championships did Phil Jackson win after trashing Kobe in his book ? (Phil said he was "uncoachable")

Also during the '04 season, Jackson said:
"I won't coach this team next year if [Bryant] is still here. He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid."

I think Phil Jackson survived criticizing Kobe.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many NBA Championships did Phil Jackson win after trashing Kobe in his book ? (Phil said he was "uncoachable")

Also during the '04 season, Jackson said:
"I won't coach this team next year if [Bryant] is still here. He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid."

I think Phil Jackson survived criticizing Kobe.
And Karl may get another chance but Phil also had 9 championships which makes him more wanted. How many has Karl won?

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something interesting by Woj on his interview with Seth Curry.

"People there (in Sacramento) told me, and at first I didn't believe it because it sounds like an excuse somebody would make for somebody, but he's (George Karl) a (North) Carolina guy and you're a Duke guy. And some people there told me that he had some preconceived ideas about what Duke pros were like -- that they didn't make it or they ended up not being what people said they would be -- and he would say it out loud. And people there would hear it. Did you ever hear it?"

"I did," Curry answered. "It felt like every single day he would make a little Duke jab, or say something about Duke-Carolina. I'm like, 'Wow, this is happening every single day, this might be a little real.' But I don't know if that's the reason why he didn't play me on a consistent basis...

"I used to hear it and I used to hear people talk about how serious he was about it. It was a tough time early on in that year."

I guess that kind of shows why the Kings let Curry go. He didn't get any run even though he was at least deserving of a shot there. He did produce enough in limited time to get his two year contract with the Mavs. Kings ironically could really use him right now. Pretty interesting to see bias based on schools from one of the all-time winningest coaches in NBA history. That's just flat out weird to me. If you can play, you can play right?

That is fucked up if true.

This kind of shit is more prevalent than most people think in all walks and facets of life.