• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

George Karl: Wait wut?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something interesting by Woj on his interview with Seth Curry.

"People there (in Sacramento) told me, and at first I didn't believe it because it sounds like an excuse somebody would make for somebody, but he's (George Karl) a (North) Carolina guy and you're a Duke guy. And some people there told me that he had some preconceived ideas about what Duke pros were like -- that they didn't make it or they ended up not being what people said they would be -- and he would say it out loud. And people there would hear it. Did you ever hear it?"

"I did," Curry answered. "It felt like every single day he would make a little Duke jab, or say something about Duke-Carolina. I'm like, 'Wow, this is happening every single day, this might be a little real.' But I don't know if that's the reason why he didn't play me on a consistent basis...

"I used to hear it and I used to hear people talk about how serious he was about it. It was a tough time early on in that year."

I guess that kind of shows why the Kings let Curry go. He didn't get any run even though he was at least deserving of a shot there. He did produce enough in limited time to get his two year contract with the Mavs. Kings ironically could really use him right now. Pretty interesting to see bias based on schools from one of the all-time winningest coaches in NBA history. That's just flat out weird to me. If you can play, you can play right?

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks take the Sports thang waaaaaay to seriously.

They'd turn down a kidney if it came from somebody from the wrong school.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Karl was gone before they agreed to let Seth go, he'd be an upgrade over Lawson right now but probably not enough to turn them into a playoff team. I remember Cousins video bombed Seth in a post game interview saying he'll be in the league for a long time, which was a jab at Karl for how he felt about Seth and/or his lack of PT.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something interesting by Woj on his interview with Seth Curry.

"People there (in Sacramento) told me, and at first I didn't believe it because it sounds like an excuse somebody would make for somebody, but he's (George Karl) a (North) Carolina guy and you're a Duke guy. And some people there told me that he had some preconceived ideas about what Duke pros were like -- that they didn't make it or they ended up not being what people said they would be -- and he would say it out loud. And people there would hear it. Did you ever hear it?"

"I did," Curry answered. "It felt like every single day he would make a little Duke jab, or say something about Duke-Carolina. I'm like, 'Wow, this is happening every single day, this might be a little real.' But I don't know if that's the reason why he didn't play me on a consistent basis...

"I used to hear it and I used to hear people talk about how serious he was about it. It was a tough time early on in that year."

I guess that kind of shows why the Kings let Curry go. He didn't get any run even though he was at least deserving of a shot there. He did produce enough in limited time to get his two year contract with the Mavs. Kings ironically could really use him right now. Pretty interesting to see bias based on schools from one of the all-time winningest coaches in NBA history. That's just flat out weird to me. If you can play, you can play right?
That would explain why Karl never was a very good coach - the only reason he won games in Denver was the advantage with the altitude and most of the teams were on the second night of a back to back.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a way, this sounds like it could be a compliment to Duke and Coach K. It sounds like Karl might think that Coach K makes these guys look very good in college, but then they turn out to be average pro players.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Karl was gone before they agreed to let Seth go, he'd be an upgrade over Lawson right now but probably not enough to turn them into a playoff team. I remember Cousins video bombed Seth in a post game interview saying he'll be in the league for a long time, which was a jab at Karl for how he felt about Seth and/or his lack of PT.
I am really sorry, but this picture looks gay - I expecting that dude to smack Curry on his lips with a kiss. He looks like that's what he is just dying to do - I know it's my imagination but I'd be wanting to get away from him :lol:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rivalry is real, dammit!

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Loudass bitch Georgie Karl wrote a book

Called J R Smtihs crew a posse. Um.... Hi Phil Jackson

Bitches and bitches about melo

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to read it! Sounds like he was a coach that couldn't care less about interacting with his players on a casual basis but had all sorts of opinions about them in his head! Juicy trash!

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks take the Sports thang waaaaaay to seriously.

They'd turn down a kidney if it came from somebody from the wrong school.

Hopefully the only matches for Karl come from the Dukies.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would explain why Karl never was a very good coach - the only reason he won games in Denver was the advantage with the altitude and most of the teams were on the second night of a back to back.

I don't see those as advantages at all. It's not like Denver got every single team on a back-to-back and they were the only team with said advantage. Karl got blessed with good talent. In the 90's head had the Sonics with Payton and Kemp. With the Nuggets he had a well rounded roster head lined by Melo who happened to be a top 5 player in the league during that time.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see those as advantages at all. It's not like Denver got every single team on a back-to-back and they were the only team with said advantage. Karl got blessed with good talent. In the 90's head had the Sonics with Payton and Kemp. With the Nuggets he had a well rounded roster head lined by Melo who happened to be a top 5 player in the league during that time.
The majority of the games played in Denver were by teams on the second night of a back to back. I counted them one year - and very few teams came in earlier than 1 am in the morning and got a good night's rest. That's the reason Denver had such an outstanding record at home and a poor record on the road.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it's not like we don't know what kind of players JR Smith and Kenyon Martin are/were. I doubt Karl is really shocking anyone when he talks about how spoiled and poor they were.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idiotic book. So the newsflash is that the players are a bunch of prima donnas who run with their crews and some star players are more concerned with personal glory than they are winning? Carmelo had the potential to be a very good defender if he gave a shit about it? Everybody already knew this.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of the games played in Denver were by teams on the second night of a back to back. I counted them one year - and very few teams came in earlier than 1 am in the morning and got a good night's rest. That's the reason Denver had such an outstanding record at home and a poor record on the road.

You're reaching. Digging into Denver's seasons since Karl was there from 2005 to 2013 they made the playoffs every single year making it to the conference finals once (they lost in the 1st round every year outside of that).

List of Denver Nuggets seasons - Wikipedia

If the altitude is such an advantage, why haven't the Nuggets won since Melo left/got traded?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're reaching. Digging into Denver's seasons since Karl was there from 2005 to 2013 they made the playoffs every single year making it to the conference finals once (they lost in the 1st round every year outside of that).

List of Denver Nuggets seasons - Wikipedia

If the altitude is such an advantage, why haven't the Nuggets won since Melo left/got traded?
I think because Karl knew how to push the tempo to Denver's advantage than the coaches. Personally I think Denver made a big mistake by letting Karl go. He was a natural fit for Denver and no coach has done nearly as good. He just seems out of place when he isn't in Denver, but I might be wrong

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think because Karl knew how to push the tempo to Denver's advantage than the coaches. Personally I think Denver made a big mistake by letting Karl go. He was a natural fit for Denver and no coach has done nearly as good. He just seems out of place when he isn't in Denver, but I might be wrong

George Karl wasn't an innovative coach either. He just knew how to use talent to a certain degree when he had it. For as good as the Nuggets were with Melo, Karl could only manage to get out of the 1st round once during his time in Denver.