• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - Toronto at San Jose - Jan 11, 7:30PM

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell happened?

I assumed it was going to be a 1-0 shutout, and never expected that Toronto would score 4 in the 3rd.

As a Sabres fan though, I know how that goes.

He Leafs scored 4 goals and the Sharks scored 1. And deservedly so.

SharkFan0720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It was a joke. I was trying to say its gotten so bad even Mike Keenan would be better than what we have. Anyways good old Randy Hahn, what a putz? "You have to hand it to reimer, great goaltending." Is every goalie we face really hot or maybe Randy its because they are seeing the puck easily cause the pansies dont want to screen the goalies.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This team has gone past stage 1 (denial = 'we just gotta keep it up'), 2 (anger = clowe's rant), and is now in stage 3 (depression = clowe and boyle's faces and quotes)...

Next will come stage 4 (Bargaining = dwil's job) and hopefully we avoid stage 5 (acceptance).

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually hope that McLellan is one of the few that survives the overhaul. You gotta think an overhaul is coming right? Keep Todd, keep Clowe keep Boyle keep Couture, let everyone else including Doug go. Bring in Nolan, Cheechoo (is he still hurt?) and Nichol clone to create a gritty 4th line that has a little offensive upside as well.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually hope that McLellan is one of the few that survives the overhaul. You gotta think an overhaul is coming right? Keep Todd, keep Clowe keep Boyle keep Couture, let everyone else including Doug go. Bring in Nolan, Cheechoo (is he still hurt?) and Nichol clone to create a gritty 4th line that has a little offensive upside as well.

I agree. I don't know what a lot of us expect out of McLellan. i mean go look at the graveyard of coaches thornton has left in his wake. all kinds. mclellan has made the sharks play the best hockey ive ever seen them play when he first came over.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How can you blame the coach? The personal is the problem, its be obvious since before the start of the season. I said this team was a boarder line playoff team prior to the start, and that they wouldnt be a shoe in by any means.

They'd have to fight to just get an 8 seed, that looks highly unlikely at this point in the season. Defense needs untold help, a big roster move has to happen in order to right the ship.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tmac is in his 3rd year, so the adjustment period is over. He still has a whole lot of talent to play with compared to say phoenix or nashville. His guys are not skating and not playing hard. His line combos are unsuccessful.

Coaching is largely responsible here. Tmac made jumbo captain. That was a massive mistake that he is solely to blame for. He continues to stress that the players must dig out of this themselves but when you have no leadership core, then the players will not do that on their own. Tmac needs to take this team by the reins.

if they miss the PO's, you gotta wonder about the guy. Still a long way away, but he has to take the blame when you have his roster...

SharkFan0720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Rules, this is where I dont get a lot of you guys, what roster? I feel like Im on the Niners board there isnt a great deal of talent there. They are pathetic defensively and have a good, but not a great amount of talent on the forward end. Lets just face it this team is just not very good and definitely not tough. The leadership is a joke.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No Dwill made No Show Joe the captain, im pretty sure that was confirmed as a management move.

If you call that blue line talented and the hodge podge 3rd line and worthless 4th line talent. It explains why you think Pavelski is the second coming of gretzky

SharkFan0720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Mitchell, McGinn, Ferreiro, Mayers, Huskins, Wallin. Thats a lot of real bad players to have on one roster.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
dwil picked the captain? that doesnt make a lot of sense. That's a decision that the coach makes.

Also, laast year they had the 'talent' to make the conference finals. The goaltending has been pretty much the same as nabby. They lost blake and manny. Granted, that is a big loss (blake espescially on the back end) but it shouldnt be enough of a loss to take a #1 seed team and drop them to 10th in the conference.

Whoever is responsible for making Joe captain bears much of the blame, but it's also a coach's job to steer his team in the right direction and find mojo that works. Right now, Tmac has overused boyle and failed to find offensive combo's that work. He doesn't have a great roster (I agree), but it shouldnt be this bad.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how long is Couture going to be out for? Rest of the season?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
dwil picked the captain? that doesnt make a lot of sense. That's a decision that the coach makes.

Also, laast year they had the 'talent' to make the conference finals. The goaltending has been pretty much the same as nabby. They lost blake and manny. Granted, that is a big loss (blake espescially on the back end) but it shouldnt be enough of a loss to take a #1 seed team and drop them to 10th in the conference.

Whoever is responsible for making Joe captain bears much of the blame, but it's also a coach's job to steer his team in the right direction and find mojo that works. Right now, Tmac has overused boyle and failed to find offensive combo's that work. He doesn't have a great roster (I agree), but it shouldnt be this bad.

I don't disagree that Boyle is being overused. That being said what other options as a coach does he have? He clearly doesn't trust walin,huskins or demers. So who's fault is it he doesn't have the talent to be on the ice to give boyle a break?

How's that a coaching failure? It isn't he can't even impliment the game plan of quick transiton counter attacks bewcause he doesn't have a guy who can make the long pass.

Place the blame where it belongs, the players! And just like Marleau getting the "c" was a management call, no show joe getting it was as well

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys should really adopt my philosophy for this season, Don't watch until there is some semblance of a personnel improvement via trade(s). I knew before the season started that it would be a joke so I have saved myself the misery by watching no more than a handful of games.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree that Boyle is being overused. That being said what other options as a coach does he have? He clearly doesn't trust walin,huskins or demers. So who's fault is it he doesn't have the talent to be on the ice to give boyle a break?

How's that a coaching failure? It isn't he can't even impliment the game plan of quick transiton counter attacks bewcause he doesn't have a guy who can make the long pass.

Place the blame where it belongs, the players! And just like Marleau getting the "c" was a management call, no show joe getting it was as well

The players voted Marleau in as captain, management had nothing to do with it. They started that year rotating who wore the C and after it was given to Marleau the players unanimously went to RWil and it should stay on his sweater. Thornton on the other hand is primarily Dougies doing.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
how could the coach not get the real say in who captains the team? All the stories I read had Tmac announcing it and talking about it and no mention of dougie.

From ESPN:
"We had a really good assortment of choices," Sharks coach Todd McLellan told NHL.com. "It basically came down to two players. We just felt right now that Jumbo [Thornton] would be the right guy at this time. He's made some real big strides over the last couple of years. He changed the way he approached and the way he played the game. This is the next step in the evolution."

From DP at the merc:
STOCKHOLM — Now it’s official: Joe Thornton will wear the ‘C’ on his jersey this season.

Beyond that, Todd McLellan announced that Dan Boyle will have a “permanent ‘A’ and Patrick Marleau and Ryane Clowe would rotate as the second assistant — Marleau at home games, Clowe on the road.

McLellan indicated the choice came down to two very strong candidates, and, yes, it was clear Boyle was the other. And, yes, there was a conscious decision to pair Thornton’s more easy-going style with Boyle, who can be more intense.

Asked about becoming captain and a first-time father within a few months of each other, Thornton quipped: “I have to look after one kid at home and 22 on the road.”

More quotes to come later."

Seems pretty clear that it was Tmac's call...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Go back and watch the video interviews of Wilson after the captain was announced. He all but said directly that he told McLellan who the captain was going to be. McLellan and the coaches chose who had the "A".

Rules, what do you expect McLellan to say? Do you really think he'd come out and say, "He's not the guy I wanted wearing the C and he had little to no say in that matter." That's a quick and easy way to loose your job as a coach, especially when the player sporting the C is the GM's golden boy.

Last edited by a moderator: