• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT: Thanksgiving Showdown | Red Wings at Bruins | 1pm ET | on NBC

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both pretty interesting lists. On the first list, the "one of these things is not like the other", McCrimmon (RIP) really jumps out. One could make the argument that he's one of the great under appreciated defensemen of our time, and perhaps the poster child for the "second Norris" movement, in honor of the best defensive defenseman. Also you have to wonder how much Lidstrom's career was jump-started by playing with him as a rookie. Not that guys like Fetisov, Konstantinov, and Rouse weren't enough to train him in the ways of defense.

On the second list, it's surprising to see names like Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg, and Lemieux aren't in the top +/- list. All four played for some powerhouse teams, one was a freak of nature and the other three were dominant scorers and great in their own zone.

Top ten defensemen is a really tough list to sort out once you get past Orr, but it makes for some great debate.

1. Orr

2.-8. Savard, Harvey, Robinson, Potvin, Chelios, Bourque, Lidstrom

Where would you even start?

edit: completely forgot about including Neidermayer, Pronger, Stevens, Kelly, MacInnis, Pilote...

That's why I put up the 2 lists. It's amazing how only 5 players on the top 25 points-per-game list made the first list. As for the D-man, IMO it's Robinson-2, Harvey-3, 4-9 is debatable for any of them (I'm adding Eddie Shore into the mix)

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I put up the 2 lists. It's amazing how only 5 players on the top 25 points-per-game list made the first list. As for the D-man, IMO it's Robinson-2, Harvey-3, 4-9 is debatable for any of them (I'm adding Eddie Shore into the mix)

Good call, us young'uns don't always remember some of the big names from the past.

Dryden devotes a section of his book to Robinson, about how for a few years when he wasn't trying to be someone he wasn't, he was the most dominant defenseman in the game... but when he got wrapped up in trying to be a "big man" or a slick puck mover, he wasn't quite on his game. Cool insight from a teammate.