• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 7/27 Bums at Cainers

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
SSS. I'm looking at his last 800 ABs, you're looking at his last 8 games.

I guess it depends upon your definition of "difference maker," but he's not one for me. Starting level players are difference level to me.

:burt:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SSS. I'm looking at his last 800 ABs, you're looking at his last 8 games.

I guess it depends upon your definition of "difference maker," but he's not one for me. Starting level players are difference level to me.

11 AB's is a small sample size? Since when??? :heh: Cmon man, you know I was doing that on purpose. So you can use 0-4 to discount Hanley before his HR in the opener, but I can't use the entire 3 games he had played for the Dodgers? That's the point I was trying to illustrate.

That's where we differ, I still do view Hanley as a starting level player. The Dodgers upgraded at a position of weakness. You think Hanley is a bench player, I think he's a starter who makes them better. Hanley is a much better player this year and every year than Arias will ever be (even if you include Arias' stellar defense).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 AB's is a small sample size? Since when??? :heh: Cmon man, you know I was doing that on purpose. So you can use 0-4 to discount Hanley before his HR in the opener, but I can't use the entire 3 games he had played for the Dodgers? That's the point I was trying to illustrate.

That's where we differ, I still do view Hanley as a starting level player. The Dodgers upgraded at a position of weakness. You think Hanley is a bench player, I think he's a starter who makes them better. Hanley is a much better player this year and every year than Arias will ever be (even if you include Arias' stellar defense).

Nope. 800 ABs over 2011-2012. That's what I'm going on. He's a mediocre player and though mediocrity is an upgrade for the doyers at 3B, they vastly overpaid for that upgrade.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. 800 ABs over 2011-2012. That's what I'm going on. He's a mediocre player and though mediocrity is an upgrade for the doyers at 3B, they vastly overpaid for that upgrade.

Yes, you did. You did when you were rebutting one of gp's posts. I was being facetious with my post.

Maybe Eovaldi will be a great piece, who knows. That said, if you're going by money alone, I wouldn't. The Dodgers owners don't seem to have a set budget they're going to work with. In my humble opinion, the Dodgers got better in 2012. A lot better than had they just gotten somebody like Carlos Lee. They have a LOOGY in the Pen and an everyday starting player at 3B where they were ridiculously weak.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you did. You did when you were rebutting one of gp's posts. I was being facetious with my post.

Maybe Eovaldi will be a great piece, who knows. That said, if you're going by money alone, I wouldn't. The Dodgers owners don't seem to have a set budget they're going to work with. In my humble opinion, the Dodgers got better in 2012. A lot better than had they just gotten somebody like Carlos Lee. They have a LOOGY in the Pen and an everyday starting player at 3B where they were ridiculously weak.

And THIS is exactly what I'm talking about. The bolded above is a ridiculous statement -- almost as if you don't follow the game of baseball?

Take a look at HanRam's last 800 AB. Take a look at Lee's last 800 AB. Then try and support that statement.

Jeebus :arg::arg:

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And THIS is exactly what I'm talking about. The bolded above is a ridiculous statement -- almost as if you don't follow the game of baseball?

Take a look at HanRam's last 800 AB. Take a look at Lee's last 800 AB. Then try and support that statement.

lol, the guy comparing Hanley to Arias asks me if I watch the game of baseball? Lee has gotten old as shit and hasn't hit well in a launching pad. Hanley can run the bases and plays a much more challenging defensive position. Juan Rivera's stats are almost identical to Lee's btw.

I've looked at HanRams last 800 AB's. I've even made mention of it earlier in THIS THREAD. Perhaps I should just spout off WAR arguments as an end all? Would that make me more knowledgeable of the game? Give me a fucking break.

Fuck off.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, the guy comparing Hanley to Arias asks me if I watch the game of baseball? Lee has gotten old as shit and hasn't hit well in a launching pad. Hanley can run the bases and plays a much more challenging defensive position.

I've looked at HanRams last 800 AB's. I've even made mention of it earlier in THIS THREAD. Perhaps I should just spout off WAR arguments as an end all? Would that make me more knowledgeable of the game? Give me a fucking break.

Fuck off.

Have you looked at Lee's? Apparently not.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, the guy comparing Hanley to Arias asks me if I watch the game of baseball? Lee has gotten old as shit and hasn't hit well in a launching pad. Hanley can run the bases and plays a much more challenging defensive position. Juan Rivera's stats are almost identical to Lee's btw.

Fuck off.

Deal. I've enjoyed the last couple years here. Y'all take care.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you looked at Lee's? Apparently not.

I don't know, I don't follow baseball and I have no idea where to begin to find a webpage that would let me know that information.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deal. I've enjoyed the last couple years here. Y'all take care.

Are you kidding me? You can say a comment like this "almost as if you don't follow baseball" and I can't stand up for myself by saying.....wait for it....."fuck off"? Surely you've endured much worse on this and other boards.

Give me a break dude.

EDIT: And this is coming from a guy (me) who enjoys reading most of your posts, brash as they may be.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, this board is falling apart faster than our beloved Giants. We all need to take a deep breath and move on from a very ugly series. It's certainly not bringing out the best in any of us.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, this board is falling apart faster than our beloved Giants. We all need to take a deep breath and move on from a very ugly series. It's certainly not bringing out the best in any of us.

My apologies to the rest of the board members (tzill included) if my recent posts were too harsh. I honestly didn't think "fuck off" was that far over the line given the prior posts contents. I just don't like it when people insult my baseball knowledge. I'm not saying I'm an amazing baseball guy (I don't understand any Sabermetrics at all) by any stretch, but I hardly feel like just some new fanboy dummy who just started watching in September 0f 2010 either.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Are you kidding me? You can say a comment like this "almost as if you don't follow baseball" and I can't stand up for myself by saying.....wait for it....."fuck off"? Surely you've endured much worse on this and other boards.

Give me a break dude.

EDIT: And this is coming from a guy (me) who enjoys reading most of your posts, brash as they may be.

You're mean filo.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My apologies to the rest of the board members (tzill included) if my recent posts were too harsh. I honestly didn't think "fuck off" was that far over the line given the prior posts contents. I just don't like it when people insult my baseball knowledge. I'm not saying I'm an amazing baseball guy (I don't understand any Sabermetrics at all) by any stretch, but I hardly feel like just some new fanboy dummy who just started watching in September 0f 2010 either.

I get in arguments with my buddies from time to time. My wife and I can get into some ugly, embarrassing shouting matches every so often. So, conflict is bound to happen here, especially during a series like this, even between guys who respect each other.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Look, you took an extreme position when you compared Ramirez to Arias, you've got to expect to be slapped around for that. The problem with your defense is in thinking that two players with similar stat lines must have similar expectations. Anyone who knows the game knows intuitively how false that is, and anyone with a mathematical background knows that two different models can output the same result under certain parameter conditions, but change the parameters and the models will show their divergence.

BTW, 800 AB is a good sample size, but 1500 is about where I would put the line at knowing what to expect from a player from stats alone. If Hanley played the rest of this year and next at his current performance level then I would say this is pretty much him. But, of course, even at that he is still a much better player than Arias. There is just no way you'll convince either straw hats or stat nerds otherwise. And when you apply aging curves to Lee and Ramirez, their respective expectations diverge as well.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Frankly., I would have been offended had you not defended yourself.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Board armageddon?

Maybe it's blind faith (and the fact i didn't have to stomach yesterday's loss) but I'm still good with the Giants position. Im pretty sure the team the Giants have today will be improved and the schedule favors the Giants.

Ok msg, it's virtually August, the dodgers are legit contenders and #1 threat. I'm still scoreboard watching AZ until they drop off.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dogs make a bold move and get HanRam, and they are not done.

Giants play it safe, saving money by getting Scutaro.

We were burned last year by the CarBelt trade, but it would be nice for SabeySabes and the owners/investors to do something that will actually help the team.

Dayum. What is up with Romo? Now two back to back XBH?

:bump2: