• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT (65) - 3/6 Oilers at Sharks - 7:30PM

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said before - it starts from the core of this team.. Thornton, while finally having some good shows in the playoffs, is just this quiet dude that lacks that "if you don't get out of my way I'll rip your fucking balls off and beat you with them" attitude. You get the feeling that if you stole his candy the worst that could happen is him crying to his mother.

Patty, who has tremendous natural talent, is one who ONLY shows up when the skating is open and the scoring is easy. When we need someone to actually light the fire - solemn platitudes. When we need that guy to turn the game around, shoulder shrugs.

The Sharks for a long time have had a pretty easy formula of getting the puck deep and using their size to unmercifully dominate down low and then work to dominate the prime scoring areas. The problem is this requires consistent, dedicated work ethic... and the core of this team looks like it has Florida and golf on its mind with a $7mil paycheck in hand. Trading away bench talent and prospects was never going to make a marked difference on this team - just slightly tip the scales one way or another.. and the results show that.

I still think the core is done and until we make significant changes we will just see this team continue to fade lower into mediocrity.

patrickjc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Excellent summation of what is wrong with this team. It takes a high degree of "meanness" and "grit" for a hockey team to be successful, especially in the playoffs.

The Sharks top players just seem to have an attitude of "if we win, great", and "if we lose, oh well". That rubs off on the younger, less talented players. You make your own luck on the ice by playing hard, and having a nasty attitude. Getting 40 SOG a game desn't mean much when half of them are from 40 feet out, unscreened, and right at the Goalie's midsection.

I have been pretty confident that the Sharks would make the playoffs, but now, I am not so sure. I still think they will, but they will be gone in the first round. I just don't see any team out there thay they can beat in playoff hockey.

The Sharks' run with Thornton and Marleau has about run its course. Time for some real changes after this season. Get some top players who are hungry, and nasty.

Patrick