• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 10/24 World SERIOUS Game 1

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. From the Detroit Free Press (Jeff Seidel I believe):

Marco Scutaro followed with a single and that forced pitching coach Jeff Jones to visit the mound, much to Verlander’s displeasure.

“I wasn’t mad he was coming out,” Verlander said. “It wasn’t like the wheels were falling off type of situation. I’m somebody who likes to work off rhythm.”

And Verlander wanted to keep pitching.

“I don’t think any pitchers like to see the pitching coach come out there,” Verlander said. “I told Jeff, ‘All you did was get the crowd into it right now.’”

Can't say I disagree at all with Verlander's take.....namely that he still looked to be in decent control (two not well hit singles), he definitely didn't appear close to having the "wheels fall off" and the visit to the mound did rile up the crowd. That said, interesting that he said it to the presses.

I really like JV, he seems like a classy guy and he's impressive as hell to watch. That said, his body language last night was strange. Of course, when you are as good as he is, it's probably weird for him to go through what happened last night. I bet you JV is going to be lights out in Game 5 though. He's going to want redemption with and want it with vigor.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can't say I disagree at all with Verlander's take.....namely that he still looked to be in decent control (two not well hit singles), he definitely didn't appear close to having the "wheels fall off" and the visit to the mound did rile up the crowd. That said, interesting that he said it to the presses.

I really like JV, he seems like a classy guy and he's impressive as hell to watch. That said, his body language last night was strange. Of course, when you are as good as he is, it's probably weird for him to go through what happened last night. I bet you JV is going to be lights out in Game 5 though. He's going to want redemption with and want it with vigor.

... assuming there is a Game 5. ;) Of course, if the Giants are up 3-0, I think Leyland will go back on his original statement.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... assuming there is a Game 5. ;) Of course, if the Giants are up 3-0, I think Leyland will go back on his original statement.

Maybe even if the Giants are up 2-1 he goes back to JV in game 4.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yeah, I thought that mound visit was bullshit. The only justifiable reason for Jones to come out was to relay some change in pitch strategy. But, it didn't appear to me that he talked to the catcher at all.

As for his body language maybe this tweet from Josh Donaldson can explain that:

Crazy what happens when he has to throw the ball over the plate

Nevertheless, he shouldn't have thrown his pitching coach under the bus.

Last edited by a moderator:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-game Duane Kuiper on the radio made an interesting point, about how some folks were suggesting the Giants try to work the count on Zoolander, get to the pen early, etc. But in his opinion that was wrong on a few levels.

1. The dude routinely throws 110-120 pitches, he's a horse, if he's throwing well he stays in no matter the count

2. The Giants don't really do that (as a team)

3. And nor should they. Guys like Zoolander and Cliff Lee throw strikes, pound the zone...if you are taking you're always at 0-1 or 0-2, you should go up there and hack vs them. Worked for us vs Lee, and yesterday vs JV.

And for contrast, look how JV carved up the pitch-taking A's in the divisional series (and the Yankees too).

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno he is historically terrible in big games... Sure he beat the upstart A's and the hapless Spankees this year but prior to that... Absolute suckage in the playoffs, in the Allstar game... And then last night.

Little (edit) Giant Cock-a-roaches dont care about no redemption! Plus Panda-ownage... Plus he will once again face Zito the Magnificent with his elusive batting practice routine :flypig: plus yeah what Game 5? :becky:

Last edited by a moderator:

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When this happened, I mentioned in the GDT that he would be annoying as hell to be in the dugout with, but they seem to like his antics, so carry on Weez.

Btw, he has been with the team for a good portion of the season. He even filled in on broadcasts for a Couple innings during the season.

That reminds me of a couple years ago when Orlando Hudson was with the Twins. He was injured for a week or so and by the end of the week he was driving everyone in the dugout nuts with his nonsensical jabber mouth. The look on Gardy's face was priceless.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From an outsiders perspective, I agree whole-heartedly with this:

From World Series Game 2 preview: Doug Fister and Detroit Tigers vs. Madison Bumgarner and San Francisco Giants | Hit and Run
One of the odd choices in Game 1 was Bochy’s decision to use Tim Lincecum for 2 1/3 innings of relief. The righty was dominant out of the bullpen, as he was during his three other postseason relief appearances, and he certainly gave the Tiger hitters a different look when contrasted to Zito. Even so, burning him to protect a five- or seven-run lead felt like a misuse of resources, particularly when the Giants might need a long man to take the baton from Bumgarner.

I know this was discussed in the GDT. Hopefully this does mean that the Bum we're used to is back.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From World Series Game 2 preview: Doug Fister and Detroit Tigers vs. Madison Bumgarner and San Francisco Giants | Hit and Run

I know this was discussed in the GDT. Hopefully this does mean that the Bum we're used to is back.

The Giants punditocracy has been claiming that Bum's problems were mechanical, that they figured them out and fixed them, and that Bochy is pretty confident he's ready to pitch well. We'll see!

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Speaking of mechanical issues:

iKrkARbF1wiyC.gif

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree'd

When Lincecum was sent to get warmed up I was like WTF, you have Bumgarner tomorrow so why burn your long man today. And then once Lincecum was in why burn another reliever in the 9th, might as well use Lincecum and save everyone else for tomorrow in case we need them. OH well, I gues Bochy has confidence that they fixed Bumgardner's mechanical flaw. Or they figure that if Bumgardner hasn't fixed his flaw that they will be down by too much and just use Mota as the long man.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of mechanical issues:

iKrkARbF1wiyC.gif

While everyone was cheering..i was in stitches over that throw..windmill Flannery is gonna have a field day on risp hits to the outfield

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In retrospect, I dont have a problem using Timmy to essentially close out that game.

"experts" had the Giants winning only one game at best before going to Detroit. Timmy isn't any ordinary longman. The bullpen is still intact if Bum implodes and there's a rest/travel day Friday.

Again, the psychological gains made by locking game 1 over Verlander is huge. I don't doubt he comes back stronger in his next start..but make no mistake, the Giants can get to him.

Plus, the Giants approach since Scutaro arrived has vastly approved, too. Well discussed knbr fodder today

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While everyone was cheering..i was in stitches over that throw..windmill Flannery is gonna have a field day on risp hits to the outfield

Kuiper: Belt rounding third...Young throws...a GROUNDER...Belt scores.

That was just fucking embarassing.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heheh. Kuip nailed that one. Sigh I wish they were doing the telecast, locally at least.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol yup!

They have several butchers in the field they can only hide one of them at DH when they go to Det.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In retrospect, I dont have a problem using Timmy to essentially close out that game.

"experts" had the Giants winning only one game at best before going to Detroit. Timmy isn't any ordinary longman. The bullpen is still intact if Bum implodes and there's a rest/travel day Friday.

Again, the psychological gains made by locking game 1 over Verlander is huge. I don't doubt he comes back stronger in his next start..but make no mistake, the Giants can get to him.

Plus, the Giants approach since Scutaro arrived has vastly approved, too. Well discussed knbr fodder today

Just to piggyback this thought on Timmy.

Remember how gp et all were guessing much of Timmay's struggles may be related to tipping pitches somehow.

When he's coming out of the pen, the opposition has less time to prepare for his delivery. I'm sure they do some homework on all the pitchers but that's just too much to keep in mind while preparing for such a contrasting delivery.
Zito-->Timmy

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree'd

When Lincecum was sent to get warmed up I was like WTF, you have Bumgarner tomorrow so why burn your long man today. And then once Lincecum was in why burn another reliever in the 9th, might as well use Lincecum and save everyone else for tomorrow in case we need them. OH well, I gues Bochy has confidence that they fixed Bumgardner's mechanical flaw. Or they figure that if Bumgardner hasn't fixed his flaw that they will be down by too much and just use Mota as the long man.

That was the point I made to my neighbor at the game : WTF? Why bat Huff? Why not leave in Timmy, let him get a save in the WS, and rest the pen? For 10-15 freaking pitches?