• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garrard a Dolphin

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently it's a loophole that they don't have to pay Alex much money if he's unseated as starter. Many are assuming that this is why Alex has taken a while to sign.

Someone should tell Alex that Singletary is not on the team anymore. If he gets benched, it'll because Kaep played better or Alex played poorly enough they didn't think Kaep could do much worse NOT because Singletary just had a whim that the Rams unfigured out Troy. I thought it was the guaranteed amount, where he'd need to play at a cuttable level to be worried, but if it's a starter/bench loophole, he'd still get paid and be on the roster. Or are you only really talking about the guaranteed? I've heard of stat incentives (which basically requires starts) more than starter incentives.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...is this for motivation or because they truly believe CK can beat Smith out? I support Smith 100%, but if he gets outperformed by CK...that is a good thing...My opinion is that he cannot. That kind of clause doesn't "easily" allow him to take over the starting spot...it just says you get beat, you get less money...very reasonable.

Thought Smith's issue was with the 3yr vs 5yr aspect, he wants the team to commit to him after last year...not the chance he would get unseated...

I don't think a "loophole" like that is unreasonable...you want starter money, then you have to play like a starter.

I'd like to see a link stating it's this, not the guaranteed money. I think it's just speculation. Alex seems like a guy that doesn't want to get cut (guaranteed money) not a guy who wants to get paid regardless of performance.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Alex's contract is written up with say $3M base salary, and $5M escalators for being a starter, this should be fine.

It actually prevents him from being cut. If Kap beats him out in a year or two Alex can slide into the backup role, and we don't have to cut him.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see a link stating it's this, not the guaranteed money. I think it's just speculation. Alex seems like a guy that doesn't want to get cut (guaranteed money) not a guy who wants to get paid regardless of performance.

That's what I'm assuming it's about. The guaranteed money isn't so guaranteed if he's not the starter.

It's not the length of the contract because Alex has publicly disputed that report.