• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Garoppolo Next Year?

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Groo
I think the FO botched this badly. Just when I thought they couldn't mess this up any more....If you wanted to undermine Lance, this is exactly how you do it.

So Jimmy takes a massive paycut down to 6.5M (fully guaranteed) with incentives up to 16M. He's got a no-tag and a no-trade. He's still tradeable, but that is unlikely. Makes it look like this is either the FO expressing huge concern over Lance or else it's the FO trying to make sure we get a 3rd rd comp for Jimmy when he leaves in the offseason.
Why do you doubt a trade? Seems like this move keeps the window open on a trade while moving JG's salary to something that other teams are willing to take on and we can stomach in the meantime, plus it keeps Seattle from getting him for free. I would imagine if a starter on a decent team gets injured, Jimmy will be on his way.

I doubt this has anything to do with Lance's development. The FO has always been pretty clear that they wanted to get something in return for Jimmy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@Groo
I think the FO botched this badly. Just when I thought they couldn't mess this up any more....If you wanted to undermine Lance, this is exactly how you do it.

So Jimmy takes a massive paycut down to 6.5M (fully guaranteed) with incentives up to 16M. He's got a no-tag and a no-trade. He's still tradeable, but that is unlikely. Makes it look like this is either the FO expressing huge concern over Lance or else it's the FO trying to make sure we get a 3rd rd comp for Jimmy when he leaves in the offseason.
With hindsight we can now say they bothed this up, but looking back i thought JG was worth something too. I didn't think he was worth a 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd, but SOMETHING?!

Yeah, this is good for the team due to potential in-season trade or 3rd round comp, but IMO its not THAT win-win. If the team is winning then great, but if it starts out 3-5 like last season, then issues within the locker room. If there's a two game losing streat, then issues can arise. It'll actually start with the fans who are always quick to react (bring in JG), but it'll affect the team too as players take sides.

IMO play Trey Lance unless he starts to lose confidence. Yeah easier said than done because how do you judge if he's really losing confidence? Anyway, if it appears he needs a 'break' then fine, but he remains QB 1.

BTW - I expect Lance to start all season so doubt JG will garner a 3rd round comp pick. But i get the point.......something is better than nothing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why do you doubt a trade? Seems like this move keeps the window open on a trade while moving JG's salary to something that other teams are willing to take on and we can stomach in the meantime, plus it keeps Seattle from getting him for free. I would imagine if a starter on a decent team gets injured, Jimmy will be on his way.

I doubt this has anything to do with Lance's development. The FO has always been pretty clear that they wanted to get something in return for Jimmy.
Agree that if a "too good to be true" trade opportunity arises, then make the trade (in-season). An in-season trade is very unlikely, but its not off the table despite the no trade clause.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NEXT SEASON, Shannahan can't be stubborn and run Lance so much inside?! He can't call as many options either that includes the inside, ala the play he got hurt on. Every team knows Lance is a threat to run so you don't need to prove it. The threat alone will make defensive players respect the possibility.

I get you need to actually run 1 or two a game, but running Lance inside can't be the game plan. I saw on Youtube that that was the game plan with Seattle?!