• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree with this.

For the battle of the bastards, Jon and Davos took the time to explain to Tormund a pincer move and such. They had a sound strategy. Blackwater Bay with the wildfire trap was sound strategy. All the schemes of Littlefinger were sound strategies.

If you know that you mess up and risk losing an entire army and then having them join the ranks of the undead, maybe not such a good idea. At least tell us that Jon/Dany discussed sacrificing the Dothraki as a way of getting the NK to be overconfident and drawing him out....

The positioning of ballista and the Unsullied was also questionable, but at least have them discuss why they need to do it.... they spent six seasons going over every detail, and then they just want to gloss over them to finish the story.

Sometimes it's the little things that all add up in the end.

The premise of the entire battle is that they had to draw the Night King in and kill him because there was no possible way for them to defeat the undead on the field of battle.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was okay with the Dany heel turn, but I think we just needed more situations for when she was wavering between good and evil from earlier episodes. It could have been clever writing if after losing Jorah or Missandei that she complain of headaches and/or a ringing in her ears. When the bells go off at Kings Landing, that's the final straw and she cracks.

It would have also been clever writing if she had these headaches all along, kind of a sign of her struggle against turning evil. When there are visions of the mad king, maybe ring the bells there. But, there was no evidence of any bells anywhere in the story/episodes until S8E5. Would have been great foreshadowing and symbolic of her losing that battle.

She didn't go crazy and she wasn't any more or less evil.

She was corrupted by power and the belief that she was liberating the world.

Human history is riddled with murderous people who believed that sometimes killing lots of people was justified to get to an end result.

Her unwillingness to even consider sparing Tyrion shows how far gone she was in her own righteousness. Defying her was tantamount to treason and there was only one possible outcome for treason.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised most of you think it was so bad. It didn't end the way I thought it was going to but it wasn't bad. Seems like a lot of people are upset simply because of that. I think a little more time for development of both the long night and Danys turn would have been better but overall, I think it was good.

Seems like super fans of shows that are this popular always tend to have some issues with the ending. I'd imagine part of it is coping mechansim, if you don't like it, you won't miss it as much.

People trying to say it is as bad as Lost are, well... lost. Lost totally changed the direction of the show in the final season to put together a they all meet in heaven moment. Thrones just saw its pace increase. If the books are finished, I'd imagine the major details all remain the same -Dany turns mad and is killed by Jon, Bran is king, Sansa Queen of the North, Arya continues to be a nomad, Jon North of the Wall, Tyrian as hand.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So were all the leaks true?

Somehow I managed to avoid them all.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I avoided them but off handedly caught that betting was going heavily towards bran ending up on the throne (somehow that's a thing) and that one place even had to take it off the board. Once I heard about the leaks I was worried that was what would actually happen. Therefore, I'm guessing they were true.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised most of you think it was so bad. It didn't end the way I thought it was going to but it wasn't bad. Seems like a lot of people are upset simply because of that. I think a little more time for development of both the long night and Danys turn would have been better but overall, I think it was good.

Seems like super fans of shows that are this popular always tend to have some issues with the ending. I'd imagine part of it is coping mechansim, if you don't like it, you won't miss it as much.

People trying to say it is as bad as Lost are, well... lost. Lost totally changed the direction of the show in the final season to put together a they all meet in heaven moment. Thrones just saw its pace increase. If the books are finished, I'd imagine the major details all remain the same -Dany turns mad and is killed by Jon, Bran is king, Sansa Queen of the North, Arya continues to be a nomad, Jon North of the Wall, Tyrian as hand.

I was saying I enjoy both the ending of Lost and GOT.

Im aware the show shifted wildly (Lost) but I thought it was a good ending

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They actually had a betting line in Vegas and Bran getting the Iron Throne was the odds on favorite.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I avoided them but off handedly caught that betting was going heavily towards bran ending up on the throne (somehow that's a thing) and that one place even had to take it off the board. Once I heard about the leaks I was worried that was what would actually happen. Therefore, I'm guessing they were true.

:ninja:

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carnac.jpg

Jaime dies.
Drogon dies.
The Mountain dies.
The Hound dies.
Cersei dies.
Qyburn dies.
Euron dies.
Bronn lives but is exiled (leaves with the remnants of the Golden Company).
Yes.
No, he flies off with dead Daenerys in his talons.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yeah, but he gets Highgarden and a seat on the council.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't quite get why everyone is only blaming the writers when everyone also knows there was no reason to shorten the last two seasons except for not wanting to pay the actors for that many more episodes (hardly the writers' decision).
False. HBO said they would give them 10 episodes. They refused.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NK only destroyed one section of the wall, not the entire wall

And the part of the Wall that was destroyed was by Eastwatch, not Castle Black.

I was fine with how it ended.
There were some moments I really, really liked.

That one shot of Daenerys with the dragon wings was phenomenal.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They actually had a betting line in Vegas and Bran getting the Iron Throne was the odds on favorite.

Yeah, I managed to acidently catch he had the best odds too and thought it might have something to do with the leaks. Wouldn't have made much sense otherwise. Part of me wanted to go read them and then bet the house on it. My luck, that would have been the only part of the leaks that were false.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I managed to acidently catch he had the best odds too and thought it might have something to do with the leaks. Wouldn't have made much sense otherwise. Part of me wanted to go read them and then bet the house on it. My luck, that would have been the only part of the leaks that were false.

I managed to avoid all written clues but I listen to Anita Marks on ESPN radio on Sunday mornings and she blabbed about it. Damn wimmens always spoiling it for us!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not regular viewer but I've seen several episodes over the years and watched the last 4 weeks with my wife. She's saying that people (including her) are upset about the direction and end for the blonde dragon queen.

I'd always gotten the impression that she was basically no good, but my wife says not so .. that she was torn between multiple forces and most fans were rooting for her. Is that true ?

I thought last night's finale episode was great, btw. There was a minimal graphic, though extremely well-done, carnage which is something I really don't need in my life every week and one of the reasons I never tried to get into the series.

Last edited:

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not regular viewer but I've seen several episodes over the years and watched the last 4 weeks with my wife. She's saying that people (including her) are upset about the direction and end for the blonde dragon queen.

I'd always gotten the impression that she was basically no good, but my wife says not so .. that she was torn between multiple forces and most fans were rooting for her. Is that true ?

I thought last night's finale episode was great, btw. There was a minimal graphic, though extremely well-done, carnage which is something I really don't need in my life every week and one of the reasons I never tried to get into the series.
Some fans do like her...I didn't really care either way. It's been apparent that she was going to die for a while now.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some fans do like her...I didn't really care either way. It's been apparent that she was going to die for a while now.
Upon rewatching she is a lot more unlikable than I remember. While I knew the mad queen was coming, it was so rushed and so poorly executed that it tarnishes the series.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

She was definitely one of the heroes for most of the show.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She was definitely one of the heroes for most of the show.

Definitely. A great story EVEN if her goal of the Iron Throne wasn't likely... She always was capable of cruelty and arrogance but she seemed capable of tempering it with good judgment.

Until recently of course.