• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game of Thrones

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND

IIRC the Iron Bank was paid in full by Cersei after Jaimie raided the Riverlands. The Lannisters had just gotten all of that gold in the walls of Kings Landing when Dany attacked with the Dothraki and dragons.

Excellent point in bold, the Iron Bank is now not vested heavily in the Lannisters so they may invest in the other side to hedge their influence.
Forgot about that.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's generally true of most shows, no matter how great they are, 6 maybe 7 seasons is really enough for any show.

I completely agree. That was part of the brilliance of Breaking Bad. There was a story to tell and a timeline. They didn't try and drag it out because it was popular.

I don't have any issues with this season but see the holes that weren't there earlier in the series. As expansive as the GOT universe is its hard to condense it and give everything a proper ending. I think that's why the books are unfinished-Martin has an idea how it goes but it's impossible to truly do it justice. And that's ok because it's still a lot of fun to watch. Unless we get some HIMYM type bullshit I'm going to enjoy seeing how the last two episodes play out.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND

IIRC the Iron Bank was paid in full by Cersei after Jaimie raided the Riverlands. The Lannisters had just gotten all of that gold in the walls of Kings Landing when Dany attacked with the Dothraki and dragons.

Excellent point in bold, the Iron Bank is now not vested heavily in the Lannisters so they may invest in the other side to hedge their influence.

I think it was just one of those things that many thought the gold was destroyed by dragons, at least I did. But that wasn’t the case.

I think in the expedience of time there isn’t room for the Iron Bank, which is a shame. Because Cersei actually gave them every reason in the world to stop supporting the Lannister’s when she paid the entire debt back in full.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. That was part of the brilliance of Breaking Bad. There was a story to tell and a timeline. They didn't try and drag it out because it was popular.

I don't have any issues with this season but see the holes that weren't there earlier in the series. As expansive as the GOT universe is its hard to condense it and give everything a proper ending. I think that's why the books are unfinished-Martin has an idea how it goes but it's impossible to truly do it justice. And that's ok because it's still a lot of fun to watch. Unless we get some HIMYM type bullshit I'm going to enjoy seeing how the last two episodes play out.

This is really well said. And it’s very similar to a place I’ve been starting to get to. It is way too rushed of a finish for a show of this....breadth.

But taking the condensed timing out of it...this was always going to be an impossible task to give this universe some kind of stopping point. I think that’s exactly what’s held GRRM up. He does excellent work as a story teller. He sets a very high standard and is very exacting. And he has put himself into a place he can’t easily find a way forward with the book story, possibly without sacrificing a lot of those standards he holds himself too.

Many have spent years lambasting him for producing nothing. But he actually might be the one that is showing true care to this universe.

I think the show runners reached a point where the golden goose had writers block (in a way) and it left them no easy course. So they are just powering through some level of conclusion

It kind of is what it is at this point.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is really well said. And it’s very similar to a place I’ve been starting to get to. It is way too rushed of a finish for a show of this....breadth.

But taking the condensed timing out of it...this was always going to be an impossible task to give this universe some kind of stopping point. I think that’s exactly what’s held GRRM up. He does excellent work as a story teller. He sets a very high standard and is very exacting. And he has put himself into a place he can’t easily find a way forward with the book story, possibly without sacrificing a lot of those standards he holds himself too.

Many have spent years lambasting him for producing nothing. But he actually might be the one that is showing true care to this universe.

I think the show runners reached a point where the golden goose had writers block (in a way) and it left them no easy course. So they are just powering through some level of conclusion

It kind of is what it is at this point.
I'm of the thought that GRRM actually HAS finished the books, at least the next one, and is waiting for the show to finish because he knew how they'd basically fuck it up (or he has some deal with HBO where he won't release until the show is done), and when it's done he can release it and say "This is what really happens", thus possibly selling even more copies.

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except it was Highgarden.

And yes the last of the troops lingering to get the food out were the ones attacked. Since then the Iron Bank has been an afterthought.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm of the thought that GRRM actually HAS finished the books, at least the next one, and is waiting for the show to finish because he knew how they'd basically fuck it up (or he has some deal with HBO where he won't release until the show is done), and when it's done he can release it and say "This is what really happens", thus possibly selling even more copies.

I felt this way for a good long time.
Now....I am not as sure.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"That's not how it's spelled!"

unstto7z9lw21.jpg

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"That's not how it's spelled!"

unstto7z9lw21.jpg

"All right, I've had enough of this! If you can't even get my name right after this many times...!"

ul6sq5jerlw21.jpg

Last edited:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My biggest fear is learning about spoilers because the Sixers play at 7pm.....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Daenerys has no strategy. Your other dragon just got knocked out of the sky by shafts from ballistas mounted on the prows of ships aligned in a single direction while deployed in a narrows limiting their maneuverability. She does not circle 'round behind these closely massed ships and burn them out from the blind spot of their ballistas. She flies directly in the path of their fire until Drogon veers off, then she flies away while her own anchored ships are blown to bits and her faithful interpreter is captured.
Pretty sure we are starting to see the fall of Daenerys. These last few episodes could very well be the end for her.

Heading north to “fight for Jon’s war” (or however she put it to Sansa), then finding out Jon has the rightful claim to the throne, losing half her army, losing the favor of the people (seeing how they all supported Jon instead)... and now she brashly raced her armies to King’s Landing against the wishes of Sansa (speaking on behalf did the men). This cost her a dragon and a best friend.

She’s completely scorned and desperate. And will possibly make a lot more foolish decisions.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mother’s Day...which mom dies tonight? Cersei or Daenerys?

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That scene when they made her feel isolated at Winterfell felt really forced. What should she expect? Jon is at his home surrounded by friends he’s known for years, of course they are going to embrace him.

They didn’t show any of the surviving Dothraki or Unsullied celebrating the victory.