• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Fixing Debate

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving the fences belongs in this discussion as well. Just the simple facts that ballparks have differing dimensions, period.

that definitely affects stats, and is my favorite part of baseball.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the room where they announce the draft picks. To the best of my knowledge (and feel free to correct me with a link if I am wrong), no media or team officials actually watch the drawing take place. All the NBA has to do is rig it in the back room and nobody would know.

I'll correct you. The room that you see on TV has people in it who have no idea of the results. The people in the room who actually witness the process are not allowed to leave the room until after the televised part and they are not allowed any type of electronic devices into the room from the outset.

I was wrong on the 0-9 numbered balls. The numbers go up to 14.
Anyway, here is a link. There are several others.

2013 NBA Draft Lottery: Breaking Down Process Behind How It Works | Bleacher Report

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't deny that their are instances of individuals acting on their own in an attempt to "influence" the outcome of a game or series. There are far too many examples of this happening throughout history!!

Obviously, as long as people have the ability to make money betting on sports events, there will be those who seek to beat the system for their own game!!

What I don't buy is the idea of the league itself fixing or influencing outcomes. It would have to involve too many people, over too long a period of time. No way it is kept quiet. Sooner or later, someone would say something and have the evidence to back it up!!

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably not but I am not closed to the idea.

The league chooses who refs each game, refs have completely different styles and can be beneficial to to a certain teams style of play.

I am also not closed to the idea that the lottery is fair which is far more than fixing one game but rather seasons.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another form of fixing could be at play in terms of scheduling. When Team A gets three days off and then a home game against Team B, who would be playing their fourth road game in 5 days ....

that could definitely tend to give Team A a slight advantage.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another form of fixing could be at play in terms of scheduling. When Team A gets three days off and then a home game against Team B, who would be playing their fourth road game in 5 days ....

that could definitely tend to give Team A a slight advantage.

For the most part it all evens out. All of these NBA venues host all types of other events throughout the year. It's fascinating what is involved in creating teams schedules. That being said, the Nuggets seem to quite often have home games vs team who had to play in different time zones the night before, hence their inflated home win record most seasons.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 6 of the 2002 WCF was one of the most sketchiest and shadiest games I have ever watched. I don't know if the league fixed it, or if officials acted alone, but that game never sat well with me, especially that fourth quarter.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there is one fact that can not be denied.

A former NBA referee went to jail for consorting with known gamblers. Doesn't exactly prove that the NBA fixes games, but it damn sure doesn't look good for the league.

On a side note, and I can't believe I am defending that idiot but ....

it's amazing how much more shit Bud Selig caught for the steroid scandal as opposed to David Stern and his referee-turned-convicted-felon.

You're comparing apples and oranges - in the Baseball Majors, steroids was a huge problem because

1. The general public including congress, the senate and physicians world wide was opposed to steroids - and it was a serious health risk to the violators. There has been professional athletes die from the crap.

2. Steriods was a serious problem where more then half of the players were using - I remember when the list came out - that virtually every player on the Dodgers were steroid users and they were still the worst team in the MLB - That was a huge problem even if you want to argue the numbers they were high high high

In the case of the crooked referee - it was an isolated incident of one player only - no connections to any one in the NBA and it was independently investigated by the FBI and the entire NBA organization fully cooperated with that investigation.

Thats the reason Sellig took a lot of heat - He needed too

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils advocate:

Everyone was using steroids so it was a more level playing field, also steroids are cheating by the player actually playing in order to win, not by an outside source corrupting the sport for money. I believe that PEDs should be easier to palate by the public. Also, major sports leagues have the ability to test for all forms of PEDs and have proven they are probably adequate in detection and deterring this behavior*.

the crooked ref was not caught by the NBA!!! He would have not been caught for several years had he not been ratted out to the FBI, not the NBA.

So the horrifying thought there is that it has been happening, is happening and will happen again and the NBA has proven inadequate or unwilling (the much scarier version) of stopping it or even catching it.

*The public could then worry more that major leagues resist new testing or do not have it implemented.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1999 Eastern Conference playoffs, the #8 Knicks suddenly become dominant. They take down #1 Miami 3-2, #4 Atlanta 4-0 and #2 Indiana 4-2. In each series fans complain about the poor officiating.
The Spurs should have swept the Knicks, but the refs gave NY a victory in game 4. I watched and recorded the game, it was as close to being fixed as any game could be. Game 5 in SA and the officiating was more balanced and my Spurs won again.
For years I've said/wrote that NBA Championships are won when players can score after being fouled, because the fouls won't always be called.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steroid scandal never really bothered me. It still doesn't.

That was players attempting to be better. They were doing everything in their power to make themselves better for the fans and the team itself.

And truthfully, the amphetamines were rampant for 80 years. Steroid use was just a continuation of the nonstop performance enhancers since WWII.

Fixing that happens from referees and executives is far more troubling.

I know it doesn't make immediate sense, but the idea of management cheating is far more troublesome than the employees cheating.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils advocate:

Everyone was using steroids so it was a more level playing field

No, they weren't. There were tons of players who didn't use them and never made it pro because of it. Players who used were conscious that they were screwing over the people who followed the rules. Quit with that BS because its disrespectful to the hundreds of people who could have made the majors and lived a luxurious life, but decided that integrity was more important.

jake_rat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"but decided that integrity was more important" And maybe decided that they didn't want the less publicized negative effects of roids, which includes impotence and breast development in guys. The RuPaul effect, with a rage component. Uh, no thanks!