• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game #7 WFT visits The Green Bay Packers

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That can only be 3 things:
1. Bad QB play
2. Bad play calling
3. Great defense

You choose?
I lean towards iffy QB play as well as offense making some errors (terry dropped TD for eg)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That can only be 3 things:
1. Bad QB play
2. Bad play calling
3. Great defense

You choose?
One weakness that humanity has as a whole, smaller groups, and individuals in general have is focused introspection. Considering that flaw, I'm choosing #3 because it couldn't possibly be the other 2. :D :pound: :D

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I lean towards iffy QB play as well as offense making some errors (terry dropped TD for eg)
i am going to tell you this , fumbling (AG ) and dropping TD passes (mac ) and bad penalties not called (RSJ ) had a piece

bad officiating on both falco plays is also in play . i am sorry but ref's need to know what giving yourself up is and certainly when you are on top of your own guys and you dont blow a whistle forward progress isnt stopped and hence you can reach the ball over

yes there was bad qb play but i dont think its all on him and for the love of god somebody get JD the proper cleats

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, the rule book says the slide/dive the officials made the right call. Bad play by TH. The 4th down is subjective.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the wording should be changed for situations around the goal line where intention is clear.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the wording should be changed for situations around the goal line where intention is clear.

That they can do and Rivera is on the competition committee but it won't happen until the off season. They wrote the rule the way they did to keep QBs from taking a hit. We as fans thought you gave yourself up if you slid feed first but if you go down voluntarily whether feet first, head first or any other way you are down.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That they can do and Rivera is on the competition committee but it won't happen until the off season. They wrote the rule the way they did to keep QBs from taking a hit. We as fans thought you gave yourself up if you slid feed first but if you go down voluntarily whether feet first, head first or any other way you are down.
That isnt what happened, he was trying to score not give himself up as his leap attests to

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isnt what happened, he was trying to score not give himself up as his leap attests to
But the ball became dislodged, therefore, the way the rule is written, HE cannot reposses and if he does it is dead at that spot. TH losing the ball at the GL set off the chain of evens. 6x inside the 30 and no points to show. Bad, very bad by him and the offense. I sure wish Turner and RR would start looking at themselves in the mirror.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll have to agree to disagree on the slide/dive forward. If I was the ref I would have said no TD on the 4th down play but that is a judgement call.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the ball became dislodged, therefore, the way the rule is written, HE cannot reposses and if he does it is dead at that spot. TH losing the ball at the GL set off the chain of evens. 6x inside the 30 and no points to show. Bad, very bad by him and the offense. I sure wish Turner and RR would start looking at themselves in the mirror.
Yes he can and he can advance it as long as he isn’t touched down which he couldn’t have been seeing he was on top of bodies nor did the whistle blow

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he can and he can advance it as long as he isn’t touched down which he couldn’t have been seeing he was on top of bodies nor did the whistle blow
You said it, he was touched while on top of that pile, he can no longer advance. We couldn't come up with a better play call there?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three things:

First: Here's the rule on a QB giving himself up: “A quarterback does not have to slide feet first to be considered to be giving himself up,” the league’s online rules say. “Regardless whether the slide is feet first or head first, as long as he gives himself up, he should receive the protections afforded to him as a player in a defenseless posture.”

Next, Heinicke was giving himself up whether he knew it or not, then realizing his error, and made an attempt to score. Hell, if he was truly concerned about getting hit, his body didn't have to go any further. All he had to do was keep his feet and reach the ball across the GL.

Finally, The referees could not determine if he was down or not after the fumble seems to be the point of contention, but again the rule book stands against this argument. His initial forward momentum was negated by that fumble, when he recovered, there was no forward motion and he was touched at recovery. The actual application in this case is the forward progress rule, which reads; The Forward Progress of a runner or airborne receiver is the point at which his advance toward his opponent’s goal ends and is the spot at which the ball is declared dead by rule, irrespective of the runner or receiver being pushed or carried backward by an opponent." (Basically, it's a judgement call, that I see as having been properly applied)

According to the rule book: An official shall declare the ball dead and the down ended:

when a runner is held or otherwise restrained so that his forward progress ends.
when a runner declares himself down by:
  1. falling to the ground, or kneeling, and clearly making no immediate effort to advance.
  2. sliding feet-first on the ground. When a runner slides feet-first, the ball is dead the instant he touches the ground with anything other than his hands or his feet.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said it, he was touched while on top of that pile, he can no longer advance. We couldn't come up with a better play call there?
Makes me think of Peyton Barber ... it isn't like they are using Patterson.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to be on the ground

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has to be on the ground
...Or his forward progress stopped!

Reaching after a backward fumble isn't forward progress, it is in fact, the opposite, as the player has to either reach back or move back in order to retrieve the ball.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Or his forward progress stopped!

Reaching after a backward fumble isn't forward progress, it is in fact, the opposite, as the player has to either reach back or move back in order to retrieve the ball.
Can’t be down if you don’t have control either

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope he pushed the ball across
After he was touched!!

Forward progress was stopped. You don't have to be on the ground in any way except for your feet in order for a play to be called dead because there's no forward progress.

If people are railing against this, have the league changed their rules about protecting the siss, no strike that, QB.