• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

game 2 norris vs the lackey

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
team just isnt baseball smart...they dont know what to do in intense baseball situations...like advancing runners...when to steal when not to steal

Youngfan9886

Board Nightmare
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian knew he shouldn't have tried that steal....he just had delusions that this was 2008 or 2009 and he still was perfect in stealing 3rd base.

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:LThey need to tighten up the roster, and smarten up going into next year.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One issue I see has changed from the first time buck put on the orange and black, is that he doesn't hold the players accountable for poor play...or bad baseball plays or decisions...I remember when he came here he would sit people who weren't in the right place making the right judgment on the field...I see none of this anymore therefore this lackluster play comes from lack of fear that their spot on the field isn't guaranteed...now they know they will be out there everyday whether they f up or not...work the count or not...run ourselves out of the inning...walk 7 guys before throwing a strike...they need to get that fire...a fire thatt says losing is not ok...the other team is not better than us...cuz I'm sick of hearing how good the other team is...not every pitcher that faces the Orioles have their best stuff- we only are patient and determined to make other pitcher gets us out against the top pitchers...they r weak minded, too nice, and not very smart...while super talented...

Weiters looks awful at the plate and can't call a game for shit...as well as can't frame a pitch...Jones while having a good yr doesn't make the other pitcher get him out, he does agood job of that himself...same with Davis...when the going get tough Jones and Davis crumble...markakis stop changing ur batting stance every 3rd day and hit the fucking ball hard...hardy u quite possible could be the slowest person to ever make Millions...machado its ok to look at pitches before u swing...too many times u r getting to the plate and havin 1 or 2 pit h at bats...esp early on in the game when we need the pitcher go work...mclouth I have nothing to say...Roberts wow

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for the rant but just explaining why I will choose to watch a preseason game 4 with pat white at qb rather than the Orioles in a pennant race tonight...

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't fix the team by getting rid of the all-stars Ted. We need to get rid of the expensive non all-stars. Some of that will take care of itself next year with expiring contracts.

While I do agree with this statement, I also think there's a caveat: If there is sufficient evidence that an all-star player might be having just one good year, it might make sense to "buy low / sell high" in the off-season by trading him for someone with good career stats who's having a below-average year by his standards (provided that the bad year isn't a result of aging-related decline or a major injury that he would never recover from, of course).

One issue I see has changed from the first time buck put on the orange and black, is that he doesn't hold the players accountable for poor play...or bad baseball plays or decisions...I remember when he came here he would sit people who weren't in the right place making the right judgment on the field...I see none of this anymore therefore this lackluster play comes from lack of fear that their spot on the field isn't guaranteed...

Indeed... if I were the manager, I might set up the following policies to discourage poor play:

For position players: either of the following may result in being benched for the next game if possible.
* Striking out in 3 pitches, if at least one of the pitches would otherwise be a ball; or
* Swinging at all with a 3-0 or 3-1 count when the pitcher is unable to throw strikes at the moment.

For pitchers:
* 1 blown save = removal from closer position for at least the next save situation
* Putting two consecutive batters on base during close games = immediate hook (if possible)
* Any reliever that gives up runs in two consecutive appearances may be temporarily demoted to mop-up role (with possible exceptions for inherited runners)

Last edited by a moderator:

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current Orioles play and record can be attributed to poor management decisions. I'm sorry, but every fan on here that follows O's baseball closely knows our pitching was junk. Picking up Feldman and Norris (small sample size) has not helped as they are not #1 or #2 types. This staff has NONE of those type pitchers and it doesn't take 162 games to figure that out. We also picked no one up to protect Davis in July when it was needed. Throw in the fact that our BP did not hold up their end of the bargin this season at all and this is what you get. Teams in front of us, Boston and Tampa are clearly better than we are and we have to accept that. Who will be responsible for this mess? No one it seems...Butt's in the seats is all the front office cares about.

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The current Orioles play and record can be attributed to poor management decisions. I'm sorry, but every fan on here that follows O's baseball closely knows our pitching was junk. Picking up Feldman and Norris (small sample size) has not helped as they are not #1 or #2 types. This staff has NONE of those type pitchers and it doesn't take 162 games to figure that out. We also picked no one up to protect Davis in July when it was needed. Throw in the fact that our BP did not hold up their end of the bargin this season at all and this is what you get. Teams in front of us, Boston and Tampa are clearly better than we are and we have to accept that. Who will be responsible for this mess? No one it seems...Butt's in the seats is all the front office cares about.

Since the all-star break...other than 2 maybe 3 starts...starting pitching hasnt been a prob...the issue has been our offense and bp...coaching? yes as far as not setting a standard for excellence/fundamentally sound baseball...but its mainly the players that refuse to do what good team-based teams do...other than manny, except not working the count, who u can tell is hitting to the right side or dropping a bunt...even if its not what the coach says to do...but is doing what fundamentally should be done...

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do agree with this statement, I also think there's a caveat: If there is sufficient evidence that an all-star player might be having just one good year, it might make sense to "buy low / sell high" in the off-season by trading him for someone with good career stats who's having a below-average year by his standards (provided that the bad year isn't a result of aging-related decline or a major injury that he would never recover from, of course).

Indeed... if I were the manager, I might set up the following policies to discourage poor play:

For position players: either of the following may result in being benched for the next game if possible.
* Striking out in 3 pitches, if at least one of the pitches would otherwise be a ball; or
* Swinging at all with a 3-0 or 3-1 count when the pitcher is unable to throw strikes at the moment.

For pitchers:
* 1 blown save = removal from closer position for at least the next save situation
* Putting two consecutive batters on base during close games = immediate hook (if possible)
* Any reliever that gives up runs in two consecutive appearances may be temporarily demoted to mop-up role (with possible exceptions for inherited runners)

1 blown save? nah that happens...but a refusal to adjust will get u demoted...the one thing that baseball has become and i cant stand is this closer thing...if someone comes out in the 8th and is lights out, u can best believe that the same pitcher should be out there in the 9th...its insane how quick these managers are to get the closer

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 blown save? nah that happens...but a refusal to adjust will get u demoted...the one thing that baseball has become and i cant stand is this closer thing...if someone comes out in the 8th and is lights out, u can best believe that the same pitcher should be out there in the 9th...its insane how quick these managers are to get the closer

If it's just one bad game, the player is not going to lose the closer role permanently. The idea behind keeping him out of at least the one save situation is to minimize the chance that either of the following would happen:

(a) Blowing 2+ saves in a row (possibly on consecutive days), which could hurt his self-confidence and make matters worse; or

(b) Worsening a previously unknown injury (which might have caused the recent drop in performance in the first place).

Last edited by a moderator: