• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FSU an the ACC

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since there's so much information, misinformation, rumors, and disremembering about FSU going to {insert conference of choice here}, I figured we could use a thread to discuss what's going on and what the ACC should/can/will do. Last I heard, B12 with a "Seminole Network" TV deal...reported by Dallas radio 105.3.

As a side note, with all that's going on the NCAA with realignment, playoffs, bad bowl games, scandals, etc...it wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA is replaced in a couple decades by a new organization. Who knows where we'll be in 20 years? :confused2:

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since there's so much information, misinformation, rumors, and disremembering about FSU going to {insert conference of choice here}, I figured we could use a thread to discuss what's going on and what the ACC should/can/will do. Last I heard, B12 with a "Seminole Network" TV deal...reported by Dallas radio 105.3.

As a side note, with all that's going on the NCAA with realignment, playoffs, bad bowl games, scandals, etc...it wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA is replaced in a couple decades by a new organization. Who knows where we'll be in 20 years? :confused2:

The world is very much a "What Have You Done For Me Lately" place.

FSU can't garner respect or big bucks, based on yesterdays performance.

A network with only FSU locals wont get the commercial bucks today, unless/until they return to glory.

If they don't win the ACC this year, what will be their argument? Since they can't win the ACC when there are only a handful of teams in contention, what makes them think they can win this year, with a plethora of possible winners?

They routinely land around 15 4*/5* recruits annually.

There would be a ticker tape parade in Blacksburg if VT ever had one recruiting class like that, because our staff knows how to get the best out of its players. (although I do cross my eyes often at our offensive play calling)

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I am hearing, FSU is staying put. Faculty won't take moving to a lesser academic conference and it would cost too much money they don't have right now.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I am hearing, FSU is staying put. Faculty won't take moving to a lesser academic conference and it would cost too much money they don't have right now.

I hear you Nick, and it makes sense.

BUT, the faculty doesn't make that call, nor does the AD, or Pres.

Its the Board's decision, and they are unanimous in their position.

I believe the reality of the situation is that they are all smoking dope, and their worth isn't any where near the place they believe it is.

If they do any exploratory data mining, they're in for a very rude bitch slap from the reality of their situation.

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol at FSU caring about academics

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should I puff this up a bit and restart the "Us to the B1G/SEC" talk.

I was wondering when conference realignment would come and shit all over the boards again.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hear you Nick, and it makes sense.

BUT, the faculty doesn't make that call, nor does the AD, or Pres.

Its the Board's decision, and they are unanimous in their position.

I believe the reality of the situation is that they are all smoking dope, and their worth isn't any where near the place they believe it is.

If they do any exploratory data mining, they're in for a very rude bitch slap from the reality of their situation

I dont have the numbers in front of me but I think you might be a little surprised at FSU's "worth". If you wanted to divide CFB into tiers of followers (i.e. tv sets) BAMA, TX, and ND would be alone on the first tier, but i'd have to put FSU on the second tier with teams like michigan, USC-w, OHst, and a few others, their wouldnt be another ACC team for several tiers IMO (maybe MIAMI). I think to any conference other than the SEC (already own florida) FSU would be very valuable.

lol at FSU caring about academics

There is a RIVALS article (with direct quotes) that basically says FSU academics and what conference they play their sports in are not connected. So they view the academic side of things as a non issue.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doesn't make ANY sense to me but maybe they're just thinking long term and being proactive. if the long term, big picture will consist of super-conferences (and the ACC isn't one of them) -- the Big12 is their ONLY long term GOOD option and maybe they just don't wanna miss the boat

I just don't see the money being that much of a short-term gain. It'll take them 5 years to break even .. at best .. and the money-game is changing every year or two.

unless their tier 3 money is just that much better than the rest of the ACC teams

oh well -- see ya .. wouldn't wanna be ya .. fuck the big12 :D

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't make ANY sense to me but maybe they're just thinking long term and being proactive. if the long term, big picture will consist of super-conferences (and the ACC isn't one of them) -- the Big12 is their ONLY long term GOOD option and maybe they just don't wanna miss the boat

I just don't see the money being that much of a short-term gain. It'll take them 5 years to break even .. at best .. and the money-game is changing every year or two.

unless their tier 3 money is just that much better than the rest of the ACC teams

oh well -- see ya .. wouldn't wanna be ya .. fuck the big12 :D

the big 12 will help cover some of the exit fee like they did with WVU and the money is going to be BIG,they will have the fee paid off and making money in one year

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seems like the ACC should have negotiated for more money in their ESPN deal.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
FWIW, I really really think this is going to happen, if not this August then right after the MNC Game in January, unfortunately.

Unless the ACC does something to sweeten the pot for the football schools i also think its going to happen. If they do decide to leave, I dont see the ACC having a seat at the (4 team/4 conf) playoff table. I hope like hell we (VT) are at least looking at our options with the Big 10 and SEC. The only way i see the ACC sticking together long term is if we can lure ND into the picture sooner rather than later.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the big 12 will help cover some of the exit fee like they did with WVU and the money is going to be BIG,they will have the fee paid off and making money in one year

I think you're being a little optimistic to say that that $20 million will be covered by (the Big 12's contribution of the payoff + difference in money in first year of being in the Big 12) but I have no numbers or projections to support a 5-yr break even point. Do you have some numbers to support your 1-yr break even point?

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the ACC should have negotiated for more money in their ESPN deal.

Unless the ACC does something to sweeten the pot for the football schools i also think its going to happen. If they do decide to leave, I dont see the ACC having a seat at the (4 team/4 conf) playoff table. I hope like hell we (VT) are at least looking at our options with the Big 10 and SEC. The only way i see the ACC sticking together long term is if we can lure ND into the picture sooner rather than later.

These are tied together....