• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From Jerry jones...

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I’ve had my finest hours in business going against the grain. In the oil business, I’m drilling between dry holes trying to make a strike, and everybody around us is laying off geologists. Business is bad. I jump in. Why? The opportunity’s good. Buying the Cowboys when I did? Bad business–they were down. Again, opportunity. This decision, this draft, is a little bit contrary, but it’s in step with how I think.”

Just a peek behind the curtain.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler, I don't doubt that, for a second.......And everybody, from the ESPN message board days, knows how much I detest Jerry Jones. He made one phone call to start the success of the 90's COWBOYS......And since then, he has been the wrecker of that dynasty, because of his ego.
In a joint interview Jerry and Jimmy Johnson once had with Bob Costas.......Jimmy relays the story, about how the partnership, was to work from the start. Jimmy (paraphrasing) said, It was agreed, that Jerry would handle all the money decisions of the COWBOYS, and Jimmy would handle the football operations and decisions.

I believe it was the show, A Football Life (Jimmy Johnson) on the NFL Network channel, that Jimmy talks about one of many situations....It was the Tony Casillas deal....Jimmy made the deal to acquire Tony and Jerry is on TV moments later, talking about how he (Jerry) had made the deal. Jerry once said (paraphrasing) to Jimmy.....I can make millions of dollars and nobody cares....but people care about DALLAS COWBOY football decisions.
Jerry wanted total control of everything.....and if you look at the head coaches he's hired (except Bill), it explains everything. Look at most of Jerry's drafts for the last 20 years. We got Romo by accident (Todd Haley and Sean Peyton) It's Jerry's toy, and he wants to play with it. And has been said many times on this board.......nothing will change until Jerry is out of the picture

Last edited:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why? It's just going to get worse as time goes on. It's always been about jerry being in the front seat. Jerry craves the camera lights, but now he takes him 15 minutes to get out his thought. Cowboy fans can only hope his son and others get more and more of that front seat.

Say what you want, Dallas has added more talent to their team than any other NFC east team over the last 5 drafts or so

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why? It's just going to get worse as time goes on. It's always been about jerry being in the front seat. Jerry craves the camera lights, but now he takes him 15 minutes to get out his thought. Cowboy fans can only hope his son and others get more and more of that front seat.

Say what you want, Dallas has added more talent to their team than any other NFC east team over the last 5 drafts or so
It does take a long time to get his thoughts out now :thumb:

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last 5 drafts.....not including 2016

Tyron Smith
DeMarco Murray
Dwayne Harris
Morris Claiborne.........number 6th overall pick in the draft
Tyrone Crawford
James Hanna
Travis Fredrick
Gavin Escobar
Terrence Williams
Zac Martin
Demarcus Lawrence
Anthony Hitchens
Devin Street
La'el Collins .......FA
Byron Jones
Randy Gregory

great offensive picks......

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I’ve had my finest hours in business going against the grain. In the oil business, I’m drilling between dry holes trying to make a strike, and everybody around us is laying off geologists. Business is bad. I jump in. Why? The opportunity’s good. Buying the Cowboys when I did? Bad business–they were down. Again, opportunity. This decision, this draft, is a little bit contrary, but it’s in step with how I think.”

Not really anything surprising. He has always been all about the gamble. The high risk, high reward guy. It's why we never draft a healthy contributor in the 2nd round, we always try to get someone that slipped and hope it works. Usually doesn't.

It's no different than Cuban and Nellie always trying to find the foreign guy that can come in and play in a few years. Looking for the next "see how smart I am" moment.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the last 5 drafts.....not including 2016

Tyron Smith
DeMarco Murray
Dwayne Harris
Morris Claiborne.........number 6th overall pick in the draft
Tyrone Crawford
James Hanna
Travis Fredrick
Gavin Escobar
Terrence Williams
Zac Martin
Demarcus Lawrence
Anthony Hitchens
Devin Street
La'el Collins .......FA
Byron Jones
Randy Gregory

great offensive picks......
Say what you want and twist it how you want. That is a great list. So if you want to blame Jerry for Claiborne you need to give him credit for the others. Yeah there are some misses, but any team would sign for that right now. Just focusing on the OL Possibly the best LT, RG and Center in the game today and a UDFA that even though was more a salesman pitch than a scouting move could be a huge winner too...

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say what you want and twist it how you want. That is a great list. So if you want to blame Jerry for Claiborne you need to give him credit for the others. Yeah there are some misses, but any team would sign for that right now. Just focusing on the OL Possibly the best LT, RG and Center in the game today and a UDFA that even though was more a salesman pitch than a scouting move could be a huge winner too...

I wasn't blaming anyone...I had to leave and didn't complete the post...
By offensive........I meant players who were great on offense. the defensive draft picks are still a question mark.
I think who ever drafted the Oline did a fantastic job.......I just wish they had done the same with the Dline

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right. And when the Cowboys took Claiborne, all the talking heads liked him as much as they like Jaylon Ramsey in this draft, so how can you knock them for that

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly right. And when the Cowboys took Claiborne, all the talking heads liked him as much as they like Jaylon Ramsey in this draft, so how can you knock them for that
I had janoris jenkins rated as the best corner in that draft. some draft classes are weak and those are the drafts to avoid trading up.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are some good players on that list,but Escobar is not one of them. he is a bust

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had janoris jenkins rated as the best corner in that draft. some draft classes are weak and those are the drafts to avoid trading up.
Weaker than this draft? Come on now, the Cowboys traded up for the highest rated corner in that draft. It's not fair to criticize the moving up for Claiborne if you felt they should have taken Ramsey in this draft

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoffs......Playoffs?

Jerry Jones: Cowboys hope to have Jaylon Smith back for the playoffs

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

May 5, 2016 11:20 am ET

Six months ago, Jaylon Smith was destined to be a top-5 pick in last week's NFL Draft. But he suffered a serious knee injury in Notre Dame's bowl game and the linebacker fell out of the first round altogether. But he didn't have to wait long to hear his name called; the Cowboys selected Smith 34th overall, though with the understanding that he would almost certainly miss the 2016 season while he rehabbed his knee.

That was conventional wisdom, anyway. Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones, who appears to be rebounding nicely from missing out on Paxton Lynch, said Thursday that "We will not IR" Smith.

This means that the plan isn't to redshirt Smith in 2016 and have him ready for 2017, but hope that he'll be able to take the field by January. Yep, the implication is that the Cowboys are going to the playoffs.

So what's the thinking behind not putting Smith on injured reserve?

Now all the Cowboys have to do is get back to the playoffs, and that's not as ridiculous as it sounds for an outfit coming off a 4-12 record. Remember, Tony Romo and Dez Bryantmissed most of last season, and a team without a franchise quarterback is destined to have a top-10 pick in the draft.

Meanwhile, Smith fully expects to play this season, too.

"Absolutely. Never doubt God," he said shortly after the Cowboys drafted him, via the Dallas Morning News.

Simply put, maybe there's a chance we'll see the "next black Luke Kuechly" ahead of schedule.

jerry-jones-gotime.jpg
Jerry Jones has no plans to put Jaylon Smith on injured reserve. (USATSI)

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep...that jerry, always playing to the better story.

who the fuck knows? Not jerry, this could become all about the numbers as the season wears on. Jerry is to F-In stupid to think and the ass clown remains all about camera lights and microphones.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L How about we worry about getting to 1-0 and letting the knee and playoffs play out?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My calculations have him back for the SB...so he can sit next to me and run around my house tackling my friends and bloodying them up without worrying about injury while we watch it and laugh at the commercials and decide which SportsHoopla fan base was more annoying and rooting against their team...

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys to spend more on practice facility than they did on their stadium
By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer

May 5, 2016 2:08 pm ET

The Dallas Cowboys are moving. Like most moves, it'll be a costly one. Unlike most moves, the final price tag will total $1.5 billion.

Starting next season, the Cowboys' practice facility will no longer be based at Valley Ranch. Instead, the team will be relocating over to a Frisco-based facility called The Star. Apparently, The Star, once it's finished, will cost more than the construction of AT&T Stadium -- the gold standard of all stadiums.

Again, The Star will cost $1.5 billion!

So, why is it so expensive? Thanks for the Dallas Morning News, we know that it includes a 16-story hotel, an event center, a members-only club, practice fields, restaurants and retail stores, office space and an underground parking garage. The Star also features a 12,000-seat indoor stadium, which will be shared with high school teams, and a sports medicine center, which will be available for public use and will hopefully be able to develop an artificial, superior collarbone for Tony Romo.

The Cowboys, luckily, won't foot the entire bill. They're partnering with the city and the schools, who will act as part owners. According to the Dallas Morning News, the city will be responsible for $60 million and the school district will owe $30 million. The Cowboys will pay for the rest.

As you can see below, there's still some work to be done to get it looking like a $1.5 billion facility:

But, here's what The Star will eventually look like:

There are 31 NFL teams, and then are Jerry Jones' Cowboys, a team that operates in a completely different universe. If only their recent off-the-field accomplishments translated over to the actual football field.