• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franklin And The Mariner Way

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per ESPN:

What happens when a team signs a marquee free agent at the same position where one of their top young players plays?

That's the big question around Seattle right now whenever the topic turns to Nick Franklin, who played second base after getting called up last season but will have to find a new position with Robinson Cano now on the roster. With only a month left before the M's first full-squad workout in Peoria, Ari., Franklin says he still doesn't know how or where the team intends to use him.

When 710 AM ESPN Seattle's Shannon Dreyer asked the 22-year-old switch-hitter about that topic recently on the Hot Stove League show, Franklin admitted to having virtually no communication with the team over the winter about his role going forward.

"The Mariners actually haven’t even spoke to me at all. So, you know, there’s been no contact, there’s been nothing within this whole entire offseason actually," Franklin said on the show. "The only contact they’ve made is the caravan so, I don’t really know what to look forward to with spring training besides just come and be ready."

Could that be a sign that the team is committed to trading Franklin before the start of Spring Training? That's only speculation, but you'd think that there would have been some communication with a player like Franklin -- one of the team's very best young bats -- on something as important as the position he'll play.

If he does remain a Mariner in 2014, it really comes down to left field or shortstop. The M's could use him in left, with Dustin Ackley or Franklin Gutierrez in center and Michael Saunders in right. If they use him at shortstop, it will mean going with an Ackley/Corey Hart, Ackley/Gutierrez, Saunders outfield from left to right, with scrappy over-achieving shortstop Brad Miller moving to a bench role.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him or not, contact just to let a player know he has worth is basic professionalism.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade him or not, contact just to let a player know he has worth is basic professionalism.

Yeah no kidding!

I am a pretty big fan of Franklin and I believe he will be a solid player in his career. Although I don't see him in a Mariners uniform long term. If will be interesting to see what becomes of him as we move closer to spring training.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and you don't trade him just to trade him. Top dollar for him or find a spot elsewhere on the team for him. He could be the super utility guy for them. Teach him the OF and 1B so he could play about 6 positions if needed even though we have Bloomquist around. I am sure M's will do the right thing....not!

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else that might make this situation interesting moving forward... Assuming Franklin is still on the team going into spring training, What if Franklin has a phenominal spring training and Miller has a mediocre one? Do you think that changes anything?

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen Franklin play SS in person but assuming he can play a passable SS, I'd rather see his bat in the lineup over Miller. Look at Jed Lowrie for example of the type of SS who plays passable defensively but his bat carries him. I think Franklin could do that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller will be the better all-around player when all is said and done. Miller to me has something special in him while Franklin looks like a good potential player.

I wouldn't put a lot of hype into spring training performance unless it is so bad you can't overlook it. Miller for me has the job to lose.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't really thought much about what they'd do with Franklin lately. I guess I just assumed they'd have traded him by now, but obviously they haven't. They still have some time to make a decision on him before the regular season starts, but I'm sure he'd like to know what's gonna happen with him before Spring Training starts. I love the Mariners and always will, but they certainly don't make it easy sometimes. It's rather disappointing that we spent so much time after the Cano deal debating whether his signing was going to be the first in a series of roster/lineup improving moves or whether this was one of those "Hey look, we did something big!" moves with no follow-ups and that it increasingly looks like it was the latter.

There's still time to do something and maybe they're like a lot of other teams out there who are biding their time and waiting for Tanaka's deal to get done before getting into a bidding war for the remaining free agent starting pitchers available, but barring a surprise trade or a last second swoop-in on Tanaka, the bulk of this off-season will have been uninspiring even if they do manage to land one (or two) of the aforementioned starters still on the market.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen Franklin play SS in person but assuming he can play a passable SS, I'd rather see his bat in the lineup over Miller. Look at Jed Lowrie for example of the type of SS who plays passable defensively but his bat carries him. I think Franklin could do that.

I saw them both play in AAA 3 or 4 games. I remember thinking how much better defensively Franklin looked because Miller was over throwing everything and everyone and Franklin looked much smoother. My opinion has since changed and I believe Franklin and Miller are both slightly below avg. defensively with room for improvement.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller will be the better all-around player when all is said and done. Miller to me has something special in him while Franklin looks like a good potential player.

I wouldn't put a lot of hype into spring training performance unless it is so bad you can't overlook it. Miller for me has the job to lose.

I agree Miller has the job to lose.

I like the fire and energy that Franklin plays with. He also has a massive amount of potential. Unfortunately he doesn't have a spot to play right now.

I would rather they not trade Franklin but at this point it seems inevitable and rather pointless to keep to him especially with Cano and if Miller is the guy.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Miller has the job to lose.

I like the fire and energy that Franklin plays with. He also has a massive amount of potential. Unfortunately he doesn't have a spot to play right now.

I would rather they not trade Franklin but at this point it seems inevitable and rather pointless to keep to him especially with Cano and if Miller is the guy.

He does have a spot if he lives up to his hype. He could play 1B, LF, RF and backup SS, 2B, and 3B as well. There is always a position for a guy that can hit. If he turns into another overhyped M's hitting prospect, then it won't matter of course.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does have a spot if he lives up to his hype. He could play 1B, LF, RF and backup SS, 2B, and 3B as well. There is always a position for a guy that can hit. If he turns into another overhyped M's hitting prospect, then it won't matter of course.

Lets not pretend Nick Franklin has hit 20+ homeruns or anything. The kid started hot then had some serious issues with holes in his swing.

He's not a 1st baseman. He hasnt shown anything to make us pencil him into a corner OF spot, where Id like to have some power personally. Brad Miller should not lose his spot to Franklin unless we have to send Miller away instead of Franklin for a measurably better end of a trade.

Therefore Nick Franklin is either a nice backup utility guy who can hopefully keep developing or he is desti ed to be traded. Im leaning toward the latter and I sure hope we get more from him than we did Doug Fister.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw them both play in AAA 3 or 4 games. I remember thinking how much better defensively Franklin looked because Miller was over throwing everything and everyone and Franklin looked much smoother. My opinion has since changed and I believe Franklin and Miller are both slightly below avg. defensively with room for improvement.

Think Miller has the better "upside" as a SS than Franklin but same as you seeing them Franklin is the better fielder there as of now.

Another thought, which would be unpopular but could they possibly be thinking of moving Franklin to a better MLB position for him in 3B and look to deal Seager and a pitcher for something. I can't see the Mariners getting alot back for Franklin as teams know it is just a trade to make a trade.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think Miller has the better "upside" as a SS than Franklin but same as you seeing them Franklin is the better fielder there as of now.

Another thought, which would be unpopular but could they possibly be thinking of moving Franklin to a better MLB position for him in 3B and look to deal Seager and a pitcher for something. I can't see the Mariners getting alot back for Franklin as teams know it is just a trade to make a trade.

I mentioned the same thing a month or so back and it wasn't well received. I suggested Seager in a deal for a Stanton or Gomez type deal. Maybe somebody else as well that I can't think of off hand. If Franklin is the next big thing, or at least next solid thing, then you have to consider it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has sort of gone into a conversation about where Franklin fits in the future, but I've just got to say this:

The way this franchise treats their players really makes me livid sometimes. It appears as if they practically lick the feet of their star players (Ichiro, Felix, Cano) yet they don't even contact Franklin during the offseason? Wow, that is really unprofessional IMO and really surprises me that they would not even reach out to him, even if it is a just a superficial "We are happy to have you in our organization and we are just stressing competition at every position" type bullshit, at least give the man a call. I shouldn't be surprised, but the antics of this team never cease to shock me.

I'd almost like to apologize to Franklin because on behalf of the Mariners that is pretty embarrassing. Guy most feel like shit, they probably fed him all of that "You are our future" bullshit to just toss him aside and replace him like that without even telling him what's up.

This franchise can't even get the cordial shit that even most small businesses are able to accomplish with ease, unbelievable.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has sort of gone into a conversation about where Franklin fits in the future, but I've just got to say this:

The way this franchise treats their players really makes me livid sometimes. It appears as if they practically lick the feet of their star players (Ichiro, Felix, Cano) yet they don't even contact Franklin during the offseason? Wow, that is really unprofessional IMO and really surprises me that they would not even reach out to him, even if it is a just a superficial "We are happy to have you in our organization and we are just stressing competition at every position" type bullshit, at least give the man a call. I shouldn't be surprised, but the antics of this team never cease to shock me.

I'd almost like to apologize to Franklin because on behalf of the Mariners that is pretty embarrassing. Guy most feel like shit, they probably fed him all of that "You are our future" bullshit to just toss him aside and replace him like that without even telling him what's up.

This franchise can't even get the cordial shit that even most small businesses are able to accomplish with ease, unbelievable.

Not sure if you read the News Tribune article on Walker the other day either where he hasn't been kept in the loop about all of the rumors about him being involved in a trade which has pissed his mother off. Jack has said it publicly but obviously they havent privately or given her any assurance. I do think that article showed his maturity of just eh, I can't control it kind of attitude.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you read the News Tribune article on Walker the other day either where he hasn't been kept in the loop about all of the rumors about him being involved in a trade which has pissed his mother off. Jack has said it publicly but obviously they havent privately or given her any assurance. I do think that article showed his maturity of just eh, I can't control it kind of attitude.

I didn't. Unbelievable the unprofessionalism this franchise displays.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't read that either, but it ticks me off. That is not how you run a business even a business like baseball. Jack continues to disappoint me which I didn't think was possible since I have given up on him years ago.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is sad! And honestly repulsive how the Mariners FO acts.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't read that either, but it ticks me off. That is not how you run a business even a business like baseball. Jack continues to disappoint me which I didn't think was possible since I have given up on him years ago.

I don't know how paste articles but it is a nice read. Not sure how much of it is overblown but his mom is pissed because she wants him in Seattle or at least kept in the loop and the way she portrays it in the article is that Walker hasn't even been talked to by Jack when it comes to all the rumors.

I don't see how it is too hard to at least pick up the phone and say we are talking about you in a deal with team or whatever or don't listen to rumor whatever. At least we know Bavasi kept Adam Jones in the loop when he was in winter ball. If I remember correctly Jack didn't even talk to Cliff Lee about a deal because he heard from Sabathia that he was dealt to the Yankees.