• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fox Sport's Top 10 surprise teams entering 2014

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1: Florida Gators

It almost feels like an all-or-nothing season for Will Muschamp at Florida. With a healthy Jeff Driskel at QB and a revamped offense under new OC Kurt Roper, to go along with Florida's stingy D, the Gators can absolutely contend for an SEC East title. If they suffer a similar number of injuries that led to last season's 4-8 record, they're doomed and Muschamp will be fired. But that incredibly bad luck can't repeat, can it? The guess here is Florida challenges in the East and Muschamp gets off the hot seat.

2: Wisconsin Badgers

Wisconsin is a legitimate Playoff threat. Why? They have a Heisman candidate in RB Melvin Gordon and a ridiculously easy schedule. No Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State or Penn State. They figure to take a step back on D after losing so many starters, but on the other side, they return one of the nation's best O-lines. Getting a playoff nod probably requires beating LSU in Week 1 since the rest of the schedule is so soft, but the Badgers are talented enough to do that; it helps they get the young Tigers so early.

3: Georgia Bulldogs

Georgia has RB Todd Gurley, which automatically gives them an advantage over their SEC East rivals, but they also have new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt. With even reasonable improvement on D in 2014, the Bulldogs are primed to get to Atlanta and the SEC title game. Do that, and they're one win away from the College Football Playoff.

4: Iowa Hawkeyes

Would 10 wins from Iowa surprise you? Well, it's possible for Kirk Ferentz's club, which won eight last season. Iowa has an easy schedule, missing Ohio State, Michigan State and Michigan, and it gets Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern at home. Their road couldn't be more set up for Big Ten title contention than it is currently.

5: USC Trojans

Steve Sarkisian returns to Los Angeles to take over the Trojans, and as usual, he will have plenty of talent to work with. Cody Kessler has been named the starting QB, and now USC fans will wait to see Sark open up the offense in ways it didn't last season with Lane Kiffin leading the way. USC goes to Stanford and UCLA, but it misses Oregon and gets Notre Dame at home. The talent is good enough and the schedule tough enough to put together a playoff resume.

6: LSU Tigers

It's hard to believe LSU could "surprise" in any season, but the Tigers are not getting enough talk this preseason. With super-freshmen Brandon Harris, Leonard Fournette and Malachi Dupre leading the next wave of elite talent into Baton Rouge, the Tigers could grown quickly and win an unsettled SEC West.

7: Ole Miss Rebels

Ole Miss has never been to an SEC title game, and although it might be a longshot for that in 2014, now would be the time. The league is in transition, while the Rebels have QB Bo Wallace back and get both Alabama and Auburn at home. Double-digit wins is in play for the Rebs.

8: Texas Longhorns

Most simply assume it's going to take time for Charlie Strong to rebuild Texas into a national power, but there's a good chance the 'Horns exceed expectations in 2014. With Strong, they'll have a physical defense, and a healthy David Ash (he's been medically cleared to play) could give Texas solid QB play while the QB of the future (unknown) develops. Nine wins would be a great start to Strong's tenure.

9: North Carolina Tar Heels

The Tar Heels enter what feels like a swing year for Larry Fedora in Chapel Hill. A great season could catapult the program to a new level; a down year will make some wonder when UNC should start looking for its next coach. However, the Tar Heels return plenty of talent and have opportunities at Clemson, at Notre Dame and at Miami to notch a couple signature wins. More good news: They miss Florida State in the regular season.

10: Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Notre Dame has a tough road this season, with road games at Florida State, USC and Arizona State. The Irish also host Stanford, North Carolina and Louisville. So no question it will be a challenge to crack the postseason. But QB Everett Golson is back, and strength of schedule will be emphasized more than ever with the new system. With a couple timely upsets, Notre Dame could make big noise in 2014.

Ranking the nation's Top 10 surprise teams entering 2014 | FOX Sports

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say, if Notre Dame wins 10 games this season, I will be super impressed. If they win 11 this season, they should be the highest seeded 1-loss team.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Trojan fans getting their hopes up only to eventually be forced to realize their school hired Sarkisian

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Trojan fans getting their hopes up only to eventually be forced to realize their school hired Sarkisian

Poor Oregon fans still waiting on their first "Natty."

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking for UF to be a good bit better, will kinda be hard not to. With the D they'll most likely have, if they can put anything together on offense they could have a pretty good season imo.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Iowa fans getting all excited to watch The Hawkeyes go 8-4 again :(

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is LSU really considered a "surprise" team? I still think they are the 2nd best team in the SEC behind Bama and went 10-3 last year.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is LSU really considered a "surprise" team? I still think they are the 2nd best team in the SEC behind Bama and went 10-3 last year.

I wouldn't consider them a surprise team. They did lose a lot but it's not like they don't have talent all over the place. Not to mention, several teams in the SEC lost some key pieces too which should even things out even more imo.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any team with Gurley on it has a shot...That guy is old school RB awesome.

LSU surprise? Dont see them as surprise team. And L.Fournette is going to be a beast. Good luck tackling that guy

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate when they base this stuff off of schedule. I dont think Iowa is legit in the least. YEah, your schedule sucks. That doesnt make you a contender. LSU is top 15. If anything they are over-rated at this pt. Lot of assumptions are being made on new starters.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa is going to come out and beat Northern Iowa, and HRUF is going to talk about how Iowa is going to go 12-0.

It seems that LSU is a surprise team because they didn't get enough media attention.

I just don't see how Wisconsin is a "surprise" team, even for the NCG? 3 Rose Bowl appearances in the past 5 years. I don't see how that that would make them surprising.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa is going to come out and beat Northern Iowa, and HRUF is going to talk about how Iowa is going to go 12-0.

It seems that LSU is a surprise team because they didn't get enough media attention.

I just don't see how Wisconsin is a "surprise" team, even for the NCG? 3 Rose Bowl appearances in the past 5 years. I don't see how that that would make them surprising.

Wisky needs to basically replace its front 7. I would be surprised if they were a top 5 team. TOp 5 offense, would not be a surprise.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say, if Notre Dame wins 10 games this season, I will be super impressed. If they win 11 this season, they should be the highest seeded 1-loss team.

:agree:

This schedule is going to be a grind. Even our opener, Rice, won 10 games last season.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

This schedule is going to be a grind. Even our opener, Rice, won 10 games last season.

Of course, I say that now. If both Iowa and ND heads into bowl season with 1-loss, I am totally trolling in December.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Ol Miss, where are the surprise teams?