• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Four Broncos make semis in HOF selection

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TD, Meck, Atwater, and Lynch all advanced to the next round in the HOF selection process. Hopefully, at least a couple of them get in.

Denver Broncos 2013 Hall of Fame Semifinalists - Mile High Report

I think the people arguing that TD did not play long enough do not get the point. Yes, his career was short, and typically players that essentially only play 4 years should not be eligible. However, like everything in life there are exceptions to these rules.

The fact is Gale Sayers played a similarly short career, and he got in. So, the precedent has been made. In TD's case, he has a better case than Sayers and he certainly deserves to be one of the exceptions.

League MVP
SB MVP
SB record with 3 TDs.
NFL record for most yards in the playoffs.
Only 2000 yard rusher to win the SB the year he rushed for 2000 yards.

Little side note too with that 2000 yard season. It has been shown since, that he actually missed 8 quarters that year. Now, my math is fuzzy, but that is two games. It was not because of he was injured, it was because they were crushing teams and they sat him.

Anyway, I think he ought to get in for those facts, and he deserves to be an exception.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the people arguing that TD did not play long enough do not get the point. Yes, his career was short, and typically players that essentially only play 4 years should not be eligible. However, like everything in life there are exceptions to these rules.

The fact is Gale Sayers played a similarly short career, and he got in. So, the precedent has been made. In TD's case, he has a better case than Sayers and he certainly deserves to be one of the exceptions.

League MVP
SB MVP
SB record with 3 TDs.
NFL record for most yards in the playoffs.
Only 2000 yard rusher to win the SB the year he rushed for 2000 yards.

Little side note too with that 2000 yard season. It has been shown since, that he actually missed 8 quarters that year. Now, my math is fuzzy, but that is two games. It was not because of he was injured, it was because they were crushing teams and they sat him.

Anyway, I think he ought to get in for those facts, and he deserves to be an exception.

I don't think that any RB has accomplished as much in as short a time as TD did. Add to what you posted 61 TDs over four years and three First-Team All-Pro selections and it definitely seems to me that there is a strong case for TD to get in.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a freaking travesty that Gradishar isn't even on this list. Why he isn't already enshrined is abhorent at best. Guess we'll have to wait for him to get inducted as a senior........

Looking at that list above, I'd say Atwater's got the best shot. If we get anyone in this year, I seriously doubt there will be more than one former Bronco.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a freaking travesty that Gradishar isn't even on this list. Why he isn't already enshrined is abhorent at best. Guess we'll have to wait for him to get inducted as a senior........

Looking at that list above, I'd say Atwater's got the best shot. If we get anyone in this year, I seriously doubt there will be more than one former Bronco.

This :10::agree::nod:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with all of that. Your comment about Gradishar also reminds me that I've sometimes wondered if Rod Smith makes it as a senior. I know that his numbers might not be good enough, but I always thought that the fact that he was an undrafted FA should perhaps carry more weight than it apparently does with the voters.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, true. He even retired too early imo. After 10 seasons, he was still playing at a high level.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all of that. Your comment about Gradishar also reminds me that I've sometimes wondered if Rod Smith makes it as a senior. I know that his numbers might not be good enough, but I always thought that the fact that he was an undrafted FA should perhaps carry more weight than it apparently does with the voters.

Yeah, Rod Smith certainly deserves looks too based on stats.

Rod Smith NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Receptions: 849
Yards: 11389
TDs: 68

Michael Irvin stats
Michael Irvin NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Receptions: 750
Yards: 11904
TDs: 65

Now, those stats are very comparable to me. One is in the HOF. Not to mention one was pretty much a model citizen (except for one DD for Smith) and the other was not exactly that.

Of course one is a Cowboy and the other a Bronco.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michael Irvin stats

Now, those stats are very comparable to me. One is in the HOF. Not to mention one was pretty much a model citizen (except for one DD for Smith) and the other was not exactly that.

I didn't realize that Rod compared so favorably to Irvin. Definitely looks to me as if the good guy belongs.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reason he's not on the list is because his time of eligibility has passed, so it's up to the senior committee to get him in now. I do agree though that he should have been in long ago.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for TD, yes his career was short but when you look at his accomplishments, I think he deserves to get in. I mean, he basically accomplished everything you could ever hope to accomplish from the running back position.

Lead the league in rushing - check
Rush for 2,000 yards in a season - check
First team all pro - check times 3
League MVP - check
Dominant in the playoffs - check
Super Bowl champion - check times 2
Super Bowl MVP - check

Really, what more could you ask for from a guy than that? Why should he be penalized because he did all of that in a 4 year span?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michael Irvin stats

Irvin -

5 pro bowls , 1 1st team all-pro
15.9 YPC
74.9 YPG
Career ended early due to injury

Smith -

3 pro bowls, 0 1st team all pro
13.4 YPC
62.2 YPG
career ended because he got old and just wasn't good enough anymore

So there's that too.

Atwater deserves it. I think TD will get in eventually.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin -

15.9 YPC
74.9 YPG

Smith -

13.4 YPC
62.2 YPG

So there's that too.

I knew that there was something in Smith's numbers that hurt his candidacy. I think it's that zero First-Team All-Pro selections, since that seems to carry a lot of weight. Still, I do think that having accomplished so much as an undrafted FA distinguishes him from other WRs who cost their teams' high draft picks and greater cap space.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt all the afore mentioned certainly deserve to be mentioned as Bronco fans. I will say TD gets in and something that always bolds well for the past inductees......Being hired by ESPN or NFL Network prior to there inductions. Seems like thats a good luck charm recently. My next favorite I think would be Rod Smith. What he meant to the team and their accomplishments with Rod, is even more amplified with him being undrafted. Guy was awesome! After that, I`ll go with the terminator, Atwater.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irvin -

15.9 YPC
74.9 YPG

Smith -

13.4 YPC
62.2 YPG

So there's that too.

Probowls are nothing more more than a fan popularity poll.

All Pro carries more weight since it is your peers doing the voting, but still a popularity contest adn both are subject to bias.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Gradishar: HOF Credentials - Mile High Report

Favorite quote from this article, in BIG BOLD CAPS LOCK!

I WILL TAKE THE ARGUMENT ONE STEP FURTHER AND STATE THAT IF HE ISN'T IN THE HALL, BRIAN URLACHER AND RAY LEWIS DON'T DESERVE TO BE ENSHRINED EITHER. WE KNOW THAT IT IS AN IDIOTIC STATEMENT THOUGH, BOTH THOSE PLAYERS ARE DESERVING OF THE HIGHEST HONOR--AND SO IS RANDY GRADISHAR.