• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harvey Martin

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading somethings on him tonight.
2 things popped out at me that I either didnt know ofr forgot.

1. did he really have 23 sacks in a season in '77? (before it became an official stat)
&
2. Why in the fuck is he not in the Ring of Honor!!!! (I guess I just always assumed he was)

A native of Dallas, defensive end Harvey Martin was the Cowboys selection in the third round of the 1973 NFL Draft out of East Texas State. Sharpening his skills against Hall of Fame offensive tackle Rayfield Wright, Martin posted 9.0 sacks his rookie season.

Martin would go on to lead the Cowboys in sacks seven times during his 11-year career. According to the team’s own records, the talented pass rusher racked up a whopping 114.0 sacks (just three behind DeMarcus Ware) during his pro career, including an unofficial 23.0 sacks in 1977.

If the latter is accurate, that would make Martin the NFL’s record holder for most sacks in a single season. Unfortunately, the league did not start officially tracking sacks until 1982.

Accolades for Martin include four Pro Bowl bids and four All-Pro nominations. In 1977, Harvey was awarded the NFL Defensive Player of the Year and would go on to be named Co-MVP of the Super Bowl (along with defensive tackle Randy White), helping lead the Cowboys to a championship victory over the Denver Broncos.

Harvey recorded 2.0 sacks and a pass defend in Super Bowl XII as the pressure applied by the talented Doomsday defense forced Broncos’ quarterback Craig Morton (formerly of the Cowboys) to throw four interceptions. Morton would complete just four of his 15 passes in the championship game.

Inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, many believe Harvey Martin belongs in the Cowboys Ring of Honor as well. Unfortunately, that honor will now have to come posthumously as Martin died of pancreatic cancer in 2001 at the age of 51.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEP....ROH gets an incomplete with this omission

Harvey's Dallas tenue defines Cowboys ROH and isn't in cause he didn't play for Jerry.
Tip of the cap to #79

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. did he really have 23 sacks in a season in '77? (before it became an official stat)
&
2. Why in the fuck is he not in the Ring of Honor!!!! (I guess I just always assumed he was)

A native of Dallas, defensive end Harvey Martin was the Cowboys selection in the third round of the 1973 NFL Draft out of East Texas State. Sharpening his skills against Hall of Fame offensive tackle Rayfield Wright, Martin posted 9.0 sacks his rookie season.

Martin would go on to lead the Cowboys in sacks seven times during his 11-year career. According to the team’s own records, the talented pass rusher racked up a whopping 114.0 sacks (just three behind DeMarcus Ware) during his pro career, including an unofficial 23.0 sacks in 1977.

If the latter is accurate, that would make Martin the NFL’s record holder for most sacks in a single season. Unfortunately, the league did not start officially tracking sacks until 1982.

Accolades for Martin include four Pro Bowl bids and four All-Pro nominations. In 1977, Harvey was awarded the NFL Defensive Player of the Year and would go on to be named Co-MVP of the Super Bowl (along with defensive tackle Randy White), helping lead the Cowboys to a championship victory over the Denver Broncos.

Harvey recorded 2.0 sacks and a pass defend in Super Bowl XII as the pressure applied by the talented Doomsday defense forced Broncos’ quarterback Craig Morton (formerly of the Cowboys) to throw four interceptions. Morton would complete just four of his 15 passes in the championship game.

Inducted into the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, many believe Harvey Martin belongs in the Cowboys Ring of Honor as well. Unfortunately, that honor will now have to come posthumously as Martin died of pancreatic cancer in 2001 at the age of 51.

Harvey Martin was a helluva player. Reminds me a lot of LC Greenwood for PIT...both became under appreciated as the era they played in has faded. In this case even within the organization...the ring imo is not complete without this guy in there.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

&

One of my favorites and ridiculous he isn't in the ROH but if you are going to count his 23 "unofficial" sacks you need to count Deacon Jones 26 in 14 games that some say was even higher than 26. Harvey Martin was one of the most underrated players IMO

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEP....ROH gets an incomplete with this omission

Harvey's Dallas tenue defines Cowboys ROH and isn't in cause he didn't play for Jerry.
Tip of the cap to #79

You would think being on the ‘70’s All Decade team along with the ‘77 DPOY award and his play in general would carry a little water around the stadium...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think being on the ‘70’s All Decade team along with the ‘77 DPOY award and his play in general would carry a little water around the stadium...
and SB MVP

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and SB MVP

I was 7 years old when they played that game. I had to go to a classmates birthday party at McDonalds before the game started. Of course then I was nowhere near the fan I became. I mean then I could miss a few plays without thinking about. It wasn’t until the next Super Bowl vs Pittsburgh that my OCD started. Ha

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite Harvey moment was when he threw the wreath in the Redskins locker room.

There's a question with who actually sent the wreath, may of been Harvey himself. I was never more proud of a Cowboy player in all my life. That moment was right up there with Jimmy saying on Friday night, " We will when the ball game" before the niners NFC championship game on Sunday