• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Former Giants in the Big Leagues - 2024 edition

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An ace who missed all of ‘15 and ‘16 and was horrible in ‘17. He also hit free agency and changed teams in the meantime.

Yes, in hindsight, it was an awful trade. But I still stand behind it for the info we had at the time and even with hindsight, I think it isnt as devastating as people try to make it out to be.
100% agreed. It was the right move and it took a decade to make it look bad.

But still, imagine Wheeler slotted in behind Spider.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all need to look at his numbers again. He was better earlier than you think

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all need to look at his numbers again. He was better earlier than you think
Meh, with the Mutts? He was league average before he got hurt. Which, for a 23 yo is kinda impressive. But still, he wasn't great. Then he missed three years, came back with a below average half season, and then in 2018 took off. Didn't really become elite til he went to Philly.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, with the Mutts? He was league average before he got hurt. Which, for a 23 yo is kinda impressive. But still, he wasn't great. Then he missed three years, came back with a below average half season, and then in 2018 took off. Didn't really become elite til he went to Philly.
So you are going to tell me that the Giants couldn’t have used him in their starting rotations in 2013 and 2014? That trade hurt from the beginning. It was unfortunate that he lost two years to injury and it was looking dicey when he returned that first year but that is to be expected. He still looked good, even more so when considering the 3 years of rust, his last two seasons with the Mets. He was better than Dylan Cease at the same point in their careers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are going to tell me that the Giants couldn’t have used him in their starting rotations in 2013 and 2014? That trade hurt from the beginning. It was unfortunate that he lost two years to injury and it was looking dicey when he returned that first year but that is to be expected. He still looked good, even more so when considering the 3 years of rust, his last two seasons with the Mets. He was better than Dylan Cease at the same point in their careers.
A dollar today is worth MUCH more than a dollar 3 years from now.

We dealt him in ‘11 and he didn’t become an ACE until ‘20 (if you argue, I will accept ‘18). That means it took 7 years for him to be worth anything.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree. We could have used him for sure, and if he'd have stayed a Giant he'd be the elder guy in the rotation with a ring. He was good those last two seasons with the Mutts. But he wasn't an ace til he got to Philly.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A dollar today is worth MUCH more than a dollar 3 years from now.

We dealt him in ‘11 and he didn’t become an ACE until ‘20 (if you argue, I will accept ‘18). That means it took 7 years for him to be worth anything.
I think "anything" is a bit of an overstatement. He was a #3 before he got hurt, had a poor recovery half season after he came back from injury, and since then has been top of the rotation.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think "anything" is a bit of an overstatement. He was a #3 before he got hurt, had a poor recovery half season after he came back from injury, and since then has been top of the rotation.
Agreed. But that 3 year black hole is pretty massive.

And IIRC (I may not), wasnt he really inconsistent, despite his good overall numbers his first couple years?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. But that 3 year black hole is pretty massive.

And IIRC (I may not), wasnt he really inconsistent, despite his good overall numbers his first couple years?
That is the way I remember his first couple of years with the Mutts. Which is to say, a typical #3

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jist for another perspective ... being one of the oldest members of this forum I may be the only one here to ever see Sandy Koufax pitch. He wss one of the dominant lefties to ever take the mound. But it wasn't always that way. Early in his career he was very wold and all over the place. I think he actially took the mound at the age of 18 or close to that. Was very average for about 4 or 5 years then he seemed to find himself. Absolutely hated when we faced him back in those days. Like I said one of the most dominant pitchers that I remember as a kid

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jist for another perspective ... being one of the oldest members of this forum I may be the only one here to ever see Sandy Koufax pitch. He wss one of the dominant lefties to ever take the mound. But it wasn't always that way. Early in his career he was very wold and all over the place. I think he actially took the mound at the age of 18 or close to that. Was very average for about 4 or 5 years then he seemed to find himself. Absolutely hated when we faced him back in those days. Like I said one of the most dominant pitchers that I remember as a kid
Per my grandfather he was a saint. sitting out on Yom Kippur is legendary.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is a lower-end starting-quality MLB 3B. He will be picked up by SOMEONE.
It may not be as soon as we expect, though. There could be cause for his agents and the MLBPA to file grievance to cause the Giants to pay his full salary. Other teams may wait to see if they do that in order to figure out if they can fit him into their budgets. However, he may just decide to forego the grievance due to the time before the start of the season.
Among the things I don’t know is if he can still file a grievance after signing with another club or if there is a time period before a grievance cannot be filed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may not be as soon as we expect, though. There could be cause for his agents and the MLBPA to file grievance to cause the Giants to pay his full salary. Other teams may wait to see if they do that in order to figure out if they can fit him into their budgets. However, he may just decide to forego the grievance due to the time before the start of the season.
Among the things I don’t know is if he can still file a grievance after signing with another club or if there is a time period before a grievance cannot be filed.
I have no idea how all that works out legally. If the Giants are, in fact, guilty of “dirty pool”, Davis should not be required to “fall on his sword” and remain unemployed while fighting them. He should be able to move on, while the grievance is being settled. The Giants are moving on. He should be able to as well.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea how all that works out legally. If the Giants are, in fact, guilty of “dirty pool”, Davis should not be required to “fall on his sword” and remain unemployed while fighting them. He should be able to move on, while the grievance is being settled. The Giants are moving on. He should be able to as well.
I'd like to think that everything was above board as FZ implies .... but I just don'T know. From the little I see in writing it's not clear ...
For months they persued Chapman, his replacement and they didn't give him any heads-up what was happening. I also read that he only found out about the signing through social media. Also think taking him to arbitration for 350,000 was rather petty ... then I see where FZ says the organization is very open and easy to talk to. Even mentions that the manager was part of that openness. Maybe Melvin is. Not sure Kaplan was though. Just don't think this looks good to people outside the org

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to think that everything was above board as FZ implies .... but I just don'T know. From the little I see in writing it's not clear ...
For months they persued Chapman, his replacement and they didn't give him any heads-up what was happening. I also read that he only found out about the signing through social media. Also think taking him to arbitration for 350,000 was rather petty ... then I see where FZ says the organization is very open and easy to talk to. Even mentions that the manager was part of that openness. Maybe Melvin is. Not sure Kaplan was though. Just don't think this looks good to people outside the org
There isn’t much going on in Giantsland that broadcasts to players around the world that this an org you want to be associated with.