• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For Who? For What?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old School Eagles fans might get that reference.....
What I was thinking upon looking at the current roster vs the term on contracts is: Who could be traded by the deadline and for what?

Of course there is then the draft trading frenzy, but we will get to that later.
For now, the players with the shortest term and who would therefore make the most attractive bait for teams stocking up on rentals to make a run are (in no particular order)

Mark Streit
Brayden Schenn
Sam Gagner
Luke Schenn
Micheal Del Zotto
Yevgeni Medvedev
Micheal Raffl
Ryan White
Radko Gudas
Brandon Manning

Now, assuming that the Flyers would not move all of the defensemen that are on short term, the ones with the highest return on short term contracts are MDZ and Streit. Luke Schenn is the type of player who is attractive at the deadline to teams making a run because he can kill penalties and play a simple physical game. Same for Gudas. They are both right handed shots which is also a consideration.

Frankly, I could see (not saying I think it would happen, but it wouldn't shock me) Streit moved before the deadline to a Western Conference top 6 team. Most likely for a prospect and or conditional picks. Maybe not as conditional as the Kimmo move but something like that. I could also see Luke Schenn moved for a package similar to the Brayden Coburn deal. (that will depend on who is in the race at that point). As has been whispered on a couple of sites, I could see Medvedev going to the Capitals at or near the deadline. I have no idea what he would bring in return. Most likely conditional picks.

Teams looking to add to their 2nd PP unit and or scoring depth might be interested in Brayden Schenn and or Sam Gagner. Again, short term contracts, it will depend on who is in the race.

Raffl, White and Manning ... I don't see anyone shopping for them. Raffl is a swing forward who plays on the top line because the Flyers don't have a real top LW. He is a better 2nd/3rd line player and on the 2nd PP unit. White is an energy player who cannot be exposed with too many minutes or he becomes a liability. He also has to play with positional sound and good skating linemates. Manning is a 6/7 NHL defenseman. He has not hurt the Flyers this season and has complimented Ghost very well.

So, that is my take on the realistic short term, could move by or at the deadline players. Realistically I think we could see quite the exodus if the Flyers start to backslide as we move towards the deadline. I am talking as many as 5 of the listed players. That would mean a greater influx of the kids from the Phantoms, additional picks in the next two drafts and potentially a slot in the lottery. Not to be dreamt of, but not the worst outcome to a frustrating season.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mark Streit will fetch a 1st - teams want d-men and he'd be a nice player for a team looking for an improvement on their power play and there are some real good teams that have so-so power plays

Luke Schenn is another player that can be moved for a good haul - 2nd or 3rd round pick is reasonable

Radko Gudas is a possibility but I think Dave Hakstol really likes how he's playing and he brings an element they don't really have on the blueline - he plays on the edge and it got him a suspension but the thing is, he's usually pretty smart about how he goes about it so I think that makes him a good commodity for this current team

I think MDZ should stay, he's still young and he's really developed so far this season - the offensive numbers aren't maybe as high as he would hope but his overall game is leaps and bounds better and he's putting it all together - that is someone you want to have with those young d-men coming up in the future because he's starting to hit his prime years

Evgeny Medvedev could probably be moved but I'm not sure what his return would be since he hasn't played much in the NHL

Brandon Manning is similar to Radko Gudas in that I think the coaching staff likes his leadership and how he's developed - if someone blows the doors wide open on a deal then sure you make the deal but I think he's a valuable defenseman who has played much better than expected

Up front, I certainly think Sam Gagner gets moved - he has good numbers when healthy but I also think the team has looked pretty solid so far and I think there is some depth up front so he might be an odd man out - Michael Raffl should stay because he's versatile and can play on any line for a period of time - Ryan White would be a player I'd look to move because he can fetch a 2nd or a 3rd and I think some younger guys in the minors could replace him

Brayden Schenn is the huge question - some nights he looks great and other nights there's much left to be desired - if the team thinks they can re-sign him cheap enough, they'll keep him because of the cap situation, but if they get a real good trade offer at some point, they'll really have to consider that - and if they think they have a chance at the playoffs, he might be someone they really want to keep because unless they find someone that's at his level internally or outside the organization, they'll hold on to him - he's different than the rest of the guys in that he DOESN'T have to be moved by deadline day because he has RFA rights

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that BOTH Luke Schenn and Gudas will be moved. I think this is a one or the other. Same with Streit and MDZ. I still think that B Schenn on the right side of w/Cooter and Read was his best stretch as a Flyer. He has played well in stretches with Jake and with G. I really think the issue is that his top end is not as high as projected coming out of Juniors and more in the 40 - 50 point range.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Luke is definitely moved, Gagner has a good chance, and Medvedev is a wild card.

I bet Luke would go for a 2nd or 3rd. There will definitely be interest.

Gagner would just be a very cheap acquisition for a team desperate for scoring, something like a 5th round pick with possible retention. I don't think he has much to prove on a team that isn't terrible. Still could be a low risk buy at the deadline. Even a 5th would be nice for a guy that we nearly bought out and won't be re-signing.

I don't expect Streit to be moved this season. Next year I can see it.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Luke is definitely moved, Gagner has a good chance, and Medvedev is a wild card.

I bet Luke would go for a 2nd or 3rd. There will definitely be interest.

Gagner would just be a very cheap acquisition for a team desperate for scoring, something like a 5th round pick with possible retention. I don't think he has much to prove on a team that isn't terrible. Still could be a low risk buy at the deadline. Even a 5th would be nice for a guy that we nearly bought out and won't be re-signing.

I don't expect Streit to be moved this season. Next year I can see it.

I think he would be a good fit on a contending team - could make a deal where it's a conditional pick based on how deep a team would go in the playoffs - so if they get a 5th for him, it becomes a 4th if that team goes to the Conference Finals/Finals

You might be right about Mark Streit though, it depends on who they trade on defense - if they move one or two of the other guys they probably keep him - I don't think it's necessarily a matter of having a veteran there for the younger guys, although that would be understandable - I just think they need to cash in on him right now if they can

As long as they don't have to send Ghost down because of the cap, then I'm okay with whatever they do

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he would be a good fit on a contending team - could make a deal where it's a conditional pick based on how deep a team would go in the playoffs - so if they get a 5th for him, it becomes a 4th if that team goes to the Conference Finals/Finals

You might be right about Mark Streit though, it depends on who they trade on defense - if they move one or two of the other guys they probably keep him - I don't think it's necessarily a matter of having a veteran there for the younger guys, although that would be understandable - I just think they need to cash in on him right now if they can

As long as they don't have to send Ghost down because of the cap, then I'm okay with whatever they do

I could see something conditional, but my guy tells me Gagner ends up being a Cody Franson-like pickup and ends up getting scratched. Still think there is a market for him though.

Yup, keeping Ghost up is the priority. Unless he really hits the wall soon there is no way he can go back to the AHL.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really mind what we do at the deadline (or this season), but this offseason we need to address the $9 million we have wrapped up in players that we don't at all want or need. If we were able to somehow ditch Pronger's contract, then there has to be a way to unload guys like MacDonald and Lecavalier.

Can you imagine how much better this team would be if we were actually utilizing that $9 million for a top six left winger and a top pairing defenseman? I think it's a night and day difference. You could toss Umberger in there too. That's another $4.6 million with all due respect. At least his contract is up after next season.

That's basically $13.6 million in completely wasted money. You could have two very high end players for that amount, including the top line sniper that we've wanted for Giroux and a legit number one defenseman.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back to the Scott Hartnell trade. We basically gave up a top six forward that is a goal scorer for a fourth line player that doesn't even know where the net is. It's pretty unreal. Hartnell would be leading our team in goals right now by one if he had his current stats for us. He's not even having a great year or anything. He's just doing what he does and for only $150k more than Umberger...

Yes, hindsight is 20/20, but what a huge fail of a trade.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back to the Scott Hartnell trade. We basically gave up a top six forward that is a goal scorer for a fourth line player that doesn't even know where the net is. It's pretty unreal. Hartnell would be leading our team in goals right now by one if he had his current stats for us. He's not even having a great year or anything. He's just doing what he does and for only $150k more than Umberger...

Not to mention he used to pick the top corner most nights when Gee passed him the puck in the high slot on the power play something Schenn lacks badly.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really mind what we do at the deadline (or this season), but this offseason we need to address the $9 million we have wrapped up in players that we don't at all want or need. If we were able to somehow ditch Pronger's contract, then there has to be a way to unload guys like MacDonald and Lecavalier.

Can you imagine how much better this team would be if we were actually utilizing that $9 million for a top six left winger and a top pairing defenseman? I think it's a night and day difference. You could toss Umberger in there too. That's another $4.6 million with all due respect. At least his contract is up after next season.

That's basically $13.6 million in completely wasted money. You could have two very high end players for that amount, including the top line sniper that we've wanted for Giroux and a legit number one defenseman.

The difference is Pronger could be LTIR'd can had a cheap salary compared to his cap hit, perfect for a team like Arizona to get to the cap floor. MacDonald, Lecavalier, and Umberger are either going to eat a roster spot or sit in the press box wherever they go. Umberger maybe could be moved with some major salary retention, but that is wishful thinking IMO.

Even so, it isn't like we could magically just have a top line sniper and a legit number one with that $13.6mil. Where would they even come from? We shouldn't be buying right now and we shouldn't be looking to make huge UFA splashes.

But with the bottleneck of capspace we are about to go through in the next two years Hartnell really would be worth keeping around. Sure his stats are prettier, but we are a bad/mediocre team and even a good player like Hartnell wouldn't make a difference. Hextall isn't worried about who has the stats this year, he is making sure we have cap space in the future for when we are actually ready to compete. The playoffs would be nice, but IMO they are nothing to expect and unless playoffs we our goal then we are better off having traded Hartnell's extra years. Embrace the mini-rebuild.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lecavalier was very nearly traded twice in the offseason. Perhaps that ship has sailed, but I'm sure Hextall will buy these guys out when it hurts the team the very least if he cannot trade any of them. The MacDonald contract is the one that really hurts, given that he has four more seasons.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But with the bottleneck of capspace we are about to go through in the next two years Hartnell really would be worth keeping around. Sure his stats are prettier, but we are a bad/mediocre team and even a good player like Hartnell wouldn't make a difference. Hextall isn't worried about who has the stats this year, he is making sure we have cap space in the future for when we are actually ready to compete. The playoffs would be nice, but IMO they are nothing to expect and unless playoffs we our goal then we are better off having traded Hartnell's extra years. Embrace the mini-rebuild.

Also, if they ended up keeping him for a number of years more, the trade value would have eventually went down - they got as much as they could for him when they moved him and they made the right move then - everyone knew then when that deal was made that it was about taking on a contract that had two less years

This isn't the season to be trying to make big moves, if they ride this out one more year, some of those contracts will be off the books - they have a chance(not a huge one but one regardless) at the playoffs this season and the good thing is that if they make it, it gives players like Ghost playoff experience at a young age and if they don't make it, with the all the teams that are close together in points right now(if it stays that way), they could still end up with a pick in the 5-10 range

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still way more optimistic about this team than many. Adding Ghost to this group was like pulling off a huge midseason trade, except we didn't have to give anything up. I'm fairly certain that he will stay with the big team after Streit returns. They would be crazy to send him back down if there were any possible way to keep him up. We're not looking so bad then on defense with Streit, Ghost, Del Zotto, Medvedev, Schultz, Schenn and Gudas.

You also have to think that Voracek will eventually start scoring and when that happens, we have a lot more firepower at even strength and on the power play.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell was moved because of Berube.

Moving Gagner for a conditional w/ a retention conditional thrown in might be the most likely to go. The more I look around at teams on top or one ingredient short...they all need scoring and Gagner can create that.

If healthy I think Luke Schenn could also be flipped before the deadline. I think if the Flyers slip we could see more moves closer to the deadline.