• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Washington Capitals

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good win for the Caps...Too bad I was rooting for the Leafs. :suds:

Anyway it is on to the Flames to get the first Canadian team win this playoffs.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a very lost looking Leaf team in OT.

Needed to capitalize on that second period shot advantage. Could've walked away with a win tonight.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs took a book out of what the Pens did last year. Chipped the puck up and over the caps slower blue line and the caps still didn't handle it well. I can think of a certain #88 who has the speed to deal with it better....

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs played a great game tonight. Props to them!

Caps probably not happy about not having their A game this evening, but when you can go out and get a win in a game that starts off looking like a loss, that goes a long way in the playoffs. (Especially for a team that "the fates" have not been kind to over the years)

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leafs played a great game tonight. Props to them!

Caps probably not happy about not having their A game this evening, but when you can go out and get a win in a game that starts off looking like a loss, that goes a long way in the playoffs. (Especially for a team that "the fates" have not been kind to over the years)

It's good to get the win, especially when they didn't play well for long stretches of the game, but it doesn't mean much if they don't come back with a stronger performance in game 2.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Holtby always that good with the glove?

I feel like that's a 5-2 game if the Sieve Lord isn't flashing that leather like a black card at a strip club.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we're pretty spoiled with him. Andersen had a pretty good game himself though, robbed Johansson at least twice.
Rielly blew his assignment but that was a bad goal to give up to Wilson. Otherwise I don't really fault him for any of the Caps goals. He gets one pass on that second one, shit can't happen again.

Holtby has a good career as a shortstop for the Nats waiting for him if he gets bored with hockey.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting game. Leafs bein' Leafs. When they forecheck hard and minimize gaps, they are as good as any team in the League. When they back off in all zones, the results are predictable and well documented.

Couple of things the Leafs take away from this. One, and most importantly, they CAN hang with the big dogs. If they choose to recognize this (and I am sure the coaching staff will get them there), this is a big step forward both for the rest of the series and the future. Two, take more frickin' shots. See Wilson, Tom for proof.

Still think the Caps have this series, but I was not upset (surprisingly) at the result. This game was just another necessary step in the Shanaplan.

/whats wrong with Ovie? Indifference? Father time starting to catch up? Every time the camera zoomed in on him, he looked like, well me, after going up 3 flights of stairs.

//OMG the US announcers we had to endure were atrocious. I am hoping that was the Caps feed they used on USA network, that is the only excuse for their blatant homerism. #wewantBobCole

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if the opening two nights of the playoffs are any indication, Washington female hockey fans >>> Edmonton female hockey fans.

:D

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't play well last night, but fuck off. Old and tired argument from people who don't get the pleasure of watching Ovechkin 82 times a season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't play well last night, but fuck off. Old and tired argument from people who don't get the pleasure of watching Ovechkin 82 times a season.

Yeah, among active players he ranks 3rd in goals per game and 6th in points per game in the playoffs. Ridiculous.

I love the guy who starts the commentary by saying "...now I don't watch Washington Capitals game." I don't blame them though, they are Toronto sportscasters, how would they be able to identify successful performance.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Related to that, Auston Matthews is currently ranked last all-time for playoff points per game.

Why does he disappear in the playoffs? ;)

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was painful to watch. I love how they kind of criticize OV for hitting. They'd go ape shit if he didn't hit. Typically shit hockey media. If he was from Thunder Bay they'd be all over his "intangibles". Pathetic.