• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fins Sign Mario Williams

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Williams played out of position last year. He is a DE in a 4-3 defense. I think he'll be more productive with the Fins then he was last year. Williams just turned 31. He has some productive years left. Just two years ago he was playing at a very high level with 14.5 sacks. In fact, three of the last 4 years he's had double digit sacks. I like this signing.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now, I'm a bit undecided with the signing as well as the trade with Philly. I mean, I certainly see reason for optimism regarding the trade. Maxwell being a big corner, only giving up 2 touchdowns the entire year last seaon(to Julio Jones btw-nothing to hang your head about), still only 28 yrs old. As for Kiki, again I see reason for serious optimism. The kid was an absolute beast his rookie year....hopefully he's finally healthy and returns to his playmaking form. Buuuuuuut.......THESE are the kind of deals that can get a GM fired rather quickly. What IF Williams really IS on the rapid decent of his career? And, what IF Maxwell was a product of the Seahawks system/incredible defense and nothing more than an average corner? What IF Kiki's injuries prevent him from being the stud he was in Buffalo? Obviously, I really want these moves to work out in Miami's favor because if they do, Miami could have gotten ridiculously better virtually overnight. I just cringe, because unfortunately, THESE are the types that have really doomed Miami SEVERAL times over the last few/several seasons. Word is, Vernon is gone. If that is true, BASICALLY what we did was trade Williams-who just turned 31- for Vernon- who, oh by the way, is about to venture into his 'prime' at the ripe age of 25. HUH??? Like I said, these moves might actually make Miami instantly better. And, I really really hope they do.....because if they blow up in Tannebaums face, he may never get another GM job again. Fingers seriously crossed.....

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the types of moves that show financial responsibility. The Fins can't pay top dollar and get the best FA available in their prime at every position of need. I think the offer to OV of over 12 million for next year is more than reasonable based upon his production. He's a good DE but he's not a franchise player that you spend 15 million per year on. If a team chooses to overpay him then the Fins have to let him walk. RE the other moves: Maxwell is a solid CB with championship experience. I see Alonso as more of a risk because of his health but if he can come close to the player that he was as a rookie then the Fins made a great move by adding him.

Last edited by a moderator:

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the types of moves that show financial responsibility. The Fins can't pay top dollar and get the best FA available in their prime at every position of need. I think the offer to OV of over 12 million for next year is more than reasonable based upon his production. He's a good DE but he's not a franchise player that you spend 15 million per year on. If a team chooses to overpay him then the Fins have to let him walk. RE the other moves: Maxwell is a solid CB with championship experience. I see Alonso as more of a risk because of his health but if he can come close to the player that he was as a rookie then the Fins made a great move by adding him.
I do like the addition of Maxwell, and truly believe he will be an instant upgrade. I'm a little worried about Alonso, but remain optimistic. Williams? Just not so sure. I really hope he comes w/a chip on his shoulder and returns to form. All in all, NORMALLY a fan would be pretty psyched about the moves Miami has made....but when these similar types of moves have literally backfired almost each and every time over the past, like, 20 freakin years-it tends to be somewhat worrisome. I just hope our talent evaluation come draft time is substantially better than it has been, because outside of maybe Cleveland-our drafting has been next to awful.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards-fins1, this is a new off season perhaps things are changing with the team. There are new guys in the front office now. They had nothing to do with decisions of the distant past. RE Williams: He likes to rush the passer. Rex Ryan was making him drop back in coverage like a LB at times. There are times to do that & you can catch an offense off guard that way but if it's to often a guy like him is less effective. If the Fins let him focus on getting after the QB for the most part the Fins should have one of the most formidable Dlines in the league.

cards_fins1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can certainly see your point Fan.... quick question though : are you worried @ all about Miami almost backing out of the trade? I seriously hope Maxwell IS in fact completely healthy..... lets hope our new front office knows what they're doing. Plus dropping down to the 13th pick bothers me as well...... only time will tell.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cool with these moves remember that Williams will be getting a lot less than Vernon and in the game he played against the Fins he made big plays. Killed us one game. Vernon played well at times then disappeared and also took some stupid penalties at times.

they are also getting a 4th in the trade so not only adding some players but another pick. The move back isn't the end of the world probably still get the guy they want and would have overpaid at 8. Will be interesting but without risk there's no reward!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now, I'm a bit undecided with the signing as well as the trade with Philly. I mean, I certainly see reason for optimism regarding the trade. Maxwell being a big corner, only giving up 2 touchdowns the entire year last seaon(to Julio Jones btw-nothing to hang your head about), still only 28 yrs old. As for Kiki, again I see reason for serious optimism. The kid was an absolute beast his rookie year....hopefully he's finally healthy and returns to his playmaking form. Buuuuuuut.......THESE are the kind of deals that can get a GM fired rather quickly. What IF Williams really IS on the rapid decent of his career? And, what IF Maxwell was a product of the Seahawks system/incredible defense and nothing more than an average corner? What IF Kiki's injuries prevent him from being the stud he was in Buffalo? Obviously, I really want these moves to work out in Miami's favor because if they do, Miami could have gotten ridiculously better virtually overnight. I just cringe, because unfortunately, THESE are the types that have really doomed Miami SEVERAL times over the last few/several seasons. Word is, Vernon is gone. If that is true, BASICALLY what we did was trade Williams-who just turned 31- for Vernon- who, oh by the way, is about to venture into his 'prime' at the ripe age of 25. HUH??? Like I said, these moves might actually make Miami instantly better. And, I really really hope they do.....because if they blow up in Tannebaums face, he may never get another GM job again. Fingers seriously crossed.....
Very well said. You will be sweating bullets until this is settled in the season.....