• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Bird on the Last Day of the Season

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's one farm in the properties my gun club stocks in NW CT that holds birds well past the last stocking which was before Thanksgiving. The State WMAs and the other places don't have the cover and stocked birds are soon gone. I had shoulder surgery on 1/4 so I couldn't get in the few late hunts that I usually do but yesterday was the final day of the season and my shoulder's doing fine so I promised Whip one final hunt. It's almost impossible to get to the birds because they race into the thickest stuff you can't bust through and that's why they're still there.

Anyway, my boy Whip caught a big 'ole rooster crossing the opening in the swamp yesterday and pinned him down good. It was awesome. The season closed yesterday so it was the last shot of the year and I just stood there for several minutes with the bird trapped between me and the dog out in the wide open. Whip was an absolute statue so I knew it was right under his nose. Finally the bird couldn't take it anymore and flushed. I'll have to cop to needing my second shot but dinner last night was strips of pheasant rolled in flour, egg and panko crumbs!

59514ed0-bb96-414d-9670-8277a746abd2_zpsayhu0sfz.jpg

Yes, the gun was unloaded!