• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Fight Hunger Bowl: Washington vs. BYU

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington and BYU have split their eight all-time meetings, but the BYU Cougars have won the last three.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the heads up guys.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Petersen will be in the booth at least. How better to get a leg up on moving forward from here than to be there seeing what he has to work with first hand.

Really hard to say what to expect in this game given the distraction of the coaching changes. I'm not expecting much from UW because of it.

Athlon Sports:
The good news for the Huskies is that both coordinators – Eric Kiesau on offense and Justin Wilcox on defense – stayed, at least for the bowl game. What changes Petersen makes to the coaching staff after this game remains to be seen, but the coaches, as well as the players who will be back next season, know they are being evaluated by the new head coach.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, having both coordinators there helps, but Sark was the play caller and Kiesau will be doing that duty this game for the first time. Heck of a place to be breaking in such an important skill, especially for an uptempo offense. I'm sure the kids will be fully motivated to play the game, but they have had a lot of distractions and I just don't see the same outcome as if they still had their full staff. They will all be playing hard for their coaches and for Petersen knowing he is evaluating them, but I still expect more mistakes than normal and probably a lot of penalties on this team.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon Sports
I believe the Huskies have been energized by the hiring of Boise State’s Chris Petersen and will look at this game as an opportunity to impress their new head coach.
Prediction: Washington 31, BYU 30

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with Washington

boo-this-man.gif

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Athlon Sports:

Washington will try and cap off the program’s most successful season since 2000 with a win over BYU

BYU’s Run Defense vs. Washington’s Ground Game
Washington’s potent ground game is led by running back Bishop Sankey. The junior enters this game third in the nation in rushing yards per game with 147.9 and is averaging nearly six yards (5.8) per carry. Sankey has been held under 100 yards rushing just three times this season and also has gone over 200 on three different occasions. As a team, Washington is averaging 243.1 yards rushing per game (#14 in the nation) and has scored 33 touchdowns on the ground (#15 in the nation). BYU’s defense is giving up fewer than four yards (3.8) per carry and has surrendered just nine rushing touchdowns (#9 in nation)

UW’s Run Defense vs. BYU’s Ground Game
As productive as Washington’s running game has been, BYU has posted even better numbers on the ground. The Cougars are 10th in the nation in rushing offense, averaging 274.7 yards per game. BYU features two 1,200-yard rushers in quarterback Taysom Hill and running back Jamaal Williams and they will draw plenty of attention from Washington’s defense.
The Huskies enter this game giving up about 160 yards rushing per game (#60 in the nation), but have held four of their past five opponents to 131 yards or fewer. In Washington’s four losses opponents have rushed for an average of 245 yards per game. (UW is #58 in nation in fewest rushing TDs allowed and #62 in lowest rushing ypc allowed)

Key Player: Kyle Van Noy, LB, BYU
he’s a difference-maker who is capable of changing the direction of a game on any given play. Last season, Van Noy had 13 sacks, along with 22 tackles for a loss, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and two blocked kicks. This season, he has four sacks, 10 QB hurries, 15.5 TFL, 7 passes broken up, two fumble recoveries and two interceptions (one returned for a TD). He also is no stranger to saving his best for last, as he was named defensive MVP following BYU’s 23-6 win in last season’s Poinsettia Bowl.
Van Noy owned the fourth quarter, scoring two touchdowns, one on a fumble return and the other on a 17-yard interception return, to bring his Cougars from behind for the win. He also had eight tackles, 1.5 sacks and blocked a punt. Many thought that Van Noy might forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft following that performance but he returned to school and now has the opportunity to post one more impressive postseason stat line to finish out his BYU career.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN:

Three of the Pac-12's nine bowl games are in the books and the league is 2-1 against a trio of Mountain West teams. Up next is Washington against BYU in the Fight Hunger Bowl tonight

The Huskies are heavy when it comes to leadership. Price, Bishop Sankey, Sean Parker and solid lines on both sides of the ball...this is a group that should be poised and motivated against a BYU team that is perfectly capable of embarrassing an AQ conference team. Just ask Texas.

Bowl season is all about motivation. BYU, which plays with a perennial chip on its shoulder, has won six of its last seven bowl appearances -- including four straight. This is a team that knows how to win in the postseason and always plays with plenty of motivation.

But I think Washington has equal motivation. When Washington is at its best, it is a top 25, top 20 or even top 15 team. And for a group of seniors who have seen this program reinvent itself over the last four to five years, going out with a win cements their legacy. That should be motivation enough.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this season, BYU QB Taysom Hill became the first BYU player in history to throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 in the same season.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Q&A with BYU beat writer Jeff Call

What’s been the biggest surprise for BYU this season? The biggest disappointment?
The biggest surprise had to be BYU’s domination of Texas — running for a school-record 550 yards against the Longhorns (which was also the most anybody has run for on the Longhorns in the history of college football). The biggest disappointment was the fourth-straight loss to arch-rival Utah at home.

BYU’s scheduled this season has been described as one of its toughest ever. What have been some of the challenges for the Cougars as an FBS independent?
Overall, it’s been a challenge for BYU to schedule elite teams at home. Not many want to play in Provo (see what happened to Texas this season). I also think it’s been tough for the Cougars not to have a conference championship to play for anymore.

The Cougars, much like Washington, shifted to an up-tempo attack before this season. What prompted that change?
The change was prompted by a stagnant offense the previous season. Coach Bronco Mendenhall hired Robert Anae back as offensive coordinator (Anae spent 2005-10 as BYU’s OC before leaving for Arizona) and he brought with him elements of Arizona’s offense.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this season, BYU QB Taysom Hill became the first BYU player in history to throw for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 in the same season.

he originally committed to play QB for Jim Harbaugh at Stanford before switching his commitment to BYU (he is Mormon and did his mission in Australia).

In 12 starts as a sophomore this season, he ran for 1,211 yards and nine touchdowns and passed for 2,645 yards and 19 touchdowns.

That type of versatility often stretches a defense to the point of breaking, something Washington defensive end Hau'oli Kikaha is keenly aware of as he prepares for the game.
"He's my main focus," said Kikaha, who this season had 10 sacks, 12.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. "He's fast and elusive and a big guy. He's a running back playing quarterback. He's a powerful guy and he can also throw the rock. You've always got to be aware of where he's at. He's the key to their offense."

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at scenic AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants

ATT-Park1.jpg

sfori_phototour33.jpg

sbc707.jpg

att-park-san-francisco-giants1.jpg

AHLB3511.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Washington gathered in a conference room at the team hotel, Marques Tuiasosopo stepped in front of the Huskies to give his first, and only, Thursday night address of the season. With all eyes pointed toward the front of the room, Washington’s interim head coach took a moment to thank his players for an “unbelievable” season. “It’s been one heck of a ride,” he said. Then he looked around the room and said, “I respect you guys.”
He told the Huskies they put themselves in a position to play one last game in 2013, Friday’s 6:30 p.m. matchup with BYU in the Fight Hunger Bowl at AT&T Park. Then he challenged the team to make the most of this one last chance to step onto the field. “You guys have an opportunity to show the world what you’re about,” Tuiasosopo said. “You guys are ready to go. I want you to believe in what you are. I don’t have to make it up. These coaches don’t have to make it up.”
The former Washington standout said he sees this group of Huskies as a “tight-knit team,” a group that spent Christmas serving those in need before celebrating with a feast of their own later that night.
“I saw you guys serve at Glide Memorial Church,” Tuiasosopo said. “Serve each other tomorrow night. Serve the seniors. Send them out right. It does something for this program. Because of what they’ve done, freshmen, sophomores and juniors, that’s why you’re here.”
He told Washington’s younger players they were there because of Sean Parker’s big hits and the legacy Keith Price is leaving as “probably one of the best quarterbacks to ever play at this school.”
The Huskies have one more game, one more chance for the seniors to celebrate. One more chance for the program to pick up that elusive ninth win.
“Seniors, go do your thing,” Tuiasosopo said. “You don’t have to change. You don’t have to do anything special. Just keep fighting. Believe. It’s show time in San Francisco.”

Untitled.jpg

pic from Thursday’s Fight Hunger Bowl pep rally in San Francisco’s Union Square

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pics from UW's bowl practices at City College of San Francisco

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Our sole focus is to win the game,” UW safety Sean Parker said. “I’m trying to have fun but, then again, I’m trying to give it all for my last game and my teammates.”

“Everybody knows our sole purpose.”

“When the game’s over, then it’s officially over for me,” Parker said. “I wish I could play every day. But my time is up. I’m a senior, four good years, a strong education and great football."

UW receiver Kevin Smith:
“The end is coming, but we’ve just got to seize this opportunity and make this a memory.”