• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Question

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, I never play fantasy football, but my friend asked if I would draft his team for him since he won't be able to make it. I know football, but I am not sure about fantasy football. If it is a standard league, what are the basic rules for the draft? Like should I go RB first round, or get a top QB? Just any advice would be helpful. I don't think it will matter, cause nobody in the league really knows anything about football, let alone fantasy, but he asked if I would draft for him since I know what I am talking about when it comes to football. I am not in the league so I wouldn't really care, but now I feel like my reputation as the Football Guy at work is on the line. Thanks for any help guys.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB first. And probably 2nd round with how slim the RB's get later in the draft. Then probably WR/QB. There are plenty of QB's out there that will do a good job so its good to wait a little bit. It also depends the size of the league

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yeah, it's probably smart to go RB in the first two rounds. They go quickly and there's a shortage of solid starters this year, in fantasy terms at least. You can round out the rest of your team after that.

A couple things I tend to do and would recommend for standard leagues, if you've never played before. Try to fill your bench with mostly RBs and WRs. Hopefully you get lucky and a few of them hit. Don't bother drafting a 2nd defense or kicker. I would say the same for TE and even QB, but picking certain players might force you to take a backup (ie Gronk, who's a monster but isn't expected to be ready to start the season).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My two-minute fantasy advice:

Be sure to check on scoring system. Do QBs get six or four points for TDs? That's the biggest question in terms of trying to get a top-flight QB. I'd still go RB in the first and probably second - assuming this isn't a PPR league? - but if QBs get six for TDs, they're a lot more valuable. If it's four, I think you can wait quite a while to address QB. Solid QBs usually fall surprisingly far. It seems like Tony Romo ALWAYS falls absurdly far, though my primary league is with several Skins fans who hate drafting Cowboys. At RB, I think you want two of the top-20 or so if you can swing it.

It's a little tough to provide specific advice without knowing where you pick. You might want to think about one of the top WRs or Jimmy Graham late in round one or in round two, but if you don't get a top WR, I would probably wait on that, too. The position is incredibly deep. TE is weird this year. The top-5 or so guys are good, but then you get a real leveling-off at the position. If you miss early, again, you could wait awhile.

A general rule - and it can be really tough to do - is to avoid being at the back end of a position run. At some point, someone will take a QB and then like four or five will go off the board. The same will probably happen at WR. You generally don't want to take that 4th or 5th guy. A round one or two RB would be the one exception to that rule.

Anyway, just some general thoughts.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks guys. It is an 8 team league I believe, so there should be a lot of talent available. I figured most wide outs are interchangeable, so I would go for them a little later. My plan was to go RB, QB, RB, but the way you guys are talking it might be smart to get two stud RB's cause the drop off is a lot greater than it is with the QB's.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Thanks guys. It is an 8 team league I believe, so there should be a lot of talent available. I figured most wide outs are interchangeable, so I would go for them a little later. My plan was to go RB, QB, RB, but the way you guys are talking it might be smart to get two stud RB's cause the drop off is a lot greater than it is with the QB's.

Yeah, in an eight-team league, it would be hard for me to imagine a scenario in which I didn't go RB-RB.

ZepTepi

Factorem fata mea
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most definitely!

jakea31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
In a 12-team league I went RB-RB-WR-RB. I had the second pick in the first and eleventh pick in the second (snake draft). You can get a good QB later in the draft, but RBs are hard to come by after the third or fourth round. My 3rd RB was Montee Ball and he was the best available, so make sure you load up on RBs. With that said, I got RGIII with the second pick in the 5th. Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Stafford, Eli Manning, and Romo were all there at that pick.

Someone mentioned this already, but go with as many RBs and WRs for your bench. It is worth it because of injuries and busts.

With your 8-team format, you definitely need to go with RB-RB. I know someone that went RB with his first four picks.

Oh, and pay attention to injuries!

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im in a 12 team league and went rb, rb , rb (Doug martin, Chris Johnson, and MoJO Drew) IF you can get 3 of the top 16 Rbs (one as the flex) I would. My receivers arent great but my starters are mike wallace and antonio brown. Dont kill me but i got russell wilson in the seventh.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Im in a 12 team league and went rb, rb , rb (Doug martin, Chris Johnson, and MoJO Drew) IF you can get 3 of the top 16 Rbs (one as the flex) I would. My receivers arent great but my starters are mike wallace and antonio brown. Dont kill me but i got russell wilson in the seventh.

We draft Sunday and I'm seriously considering something like that if I can swing it.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when I get to the 3rd if there is a pretty solid RB I will go with him. If it is kind of iffy, I might go for a good wide out. When is a good time to go TE? I feel like that is one where there could be a bigger drop with the top guys.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would take one of the top 5 (Graham, Gronk, Witten, Gonzalez or vernon) in rd 5 or 6 in a 12 team league. If not just wait and get one after youve taken some bench guys.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think when I get to the 3rd if there is a pretty solid RB I will go with him. If it is kind of iffy, I might go for a good wide out. When is a good time to go TE? I feel like that is one where there could be a bigger drop with the top guys.

In an eight-team league, I'd probably shoot for one of the top-5 TEs. But it's a little touchy. I could see Davis, Witten, and Gonzalez going in very short order. Assuming you start two RBs and a flex, I would consider a TE in the 6th or 7th round of a small league (check out the ADP - average draft position - on some of the fantasy sites to get a sense of where guys are going). I've never played in a league that size, though, so I don't know what a draft looks like.

If you miss out on the top-5 at TE, regardless of the size of the league, I wouldn't take one until the late rounds. The Pats' kid looks good, Cameron Jordan has great upside, Bell on the Broncos looks interesting. Those guys might not even get drafted - probably won't in a small league. And with only eight teams, there will be serviceable TEs on the waiver wire. After the top five, there's really not much difference between the TEs.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an eight-team league, I'd probably shoot for one of the top-5 TEs. But it's a little touchy. I could see Davis, Witten, and Gonzalez going in very short order. Assuming you start two RBs and a flex, I would consider a TE in the 6th or 7th round of a small league (check out the ADP - average draft position - on some of the fantasy sites to get a sense of where guys are going). I've never played in a league that size, though, so I don't know what a draft looks like.

If you miss out on the top-5 at TE, regardless of the size of the league, I wouldn't take one until the late rounds. The Pats' kid looks good, Cameron Jordan has great upside, Bell on the Broncos looks interesting. Those guys might not even get drafted - probably won't in a small league. And with only eight teams, there will be serviceable TEs on the waiver wire. After the top five, there's really not much difference between the TEs.

Good point. I actually think Vance McDonald can put up some decent numbers this season. If he can catch the ball. Walker would have been pretty good last year if all of those balls never hit the ground.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good point. I actually think Vance McDonald can put up some decent numbers this season. If he can catch the ball. Walker would have been pretty good last year if all of those balls never hit the ground.

Don't take McDonald! I like him, too, but there should only be eight TEs drafted in your league. Don't take a backup unless he's on the Pats.

jakea31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't take McDonald! I like him, too, but there should only be eight TEs drafted in your league. Don't take a backup unless he's on the Pats.

I agree. Do not take a backup TE. You have to assume 8-10 TEs will be drafted, so there are plenty available in free agency. I waited for Sudfeld last night and he was picked in the 11th round (12 team league). I like him, but he might even go undrafted. The person that drafts Gronk will probably pick Sudfeld up.

Here is the breakdown of the first 24 picks
17 RBs
5 WRs
1 QB
1 TE (Graham was #24)

1-11 were all RBs

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, thanks for the advice guys, but at the last second they guy ended up drafting his own team so I didn't have to do it. At least I know some tips if I ever decide to play myself.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I drafted AP Shady McCoy and Leveon Bell. Problem is Bell is out six weeks. I need good flex option. Any ideas???

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Alright I never usually play Fantasy so I've got a question for the fantasy geeks out there on a flex guy

I've got Bernard Pierce in there now (Reggie Bush, AP are my RBs) but I've got Mark Ingram also.

I have a good feeling Pierce is the better option but I'm wondering if I should go Ingram since he might wind up with a lot more touches and scoring opportunities?