• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fan Fest

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anyone going? I tried to get tix, but was busy the morning they came out and they were gone in a few hours. Would love to hear updates from anyone who makes it.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers camp report: 'Raggedy' practice at Fan Fest

Practice summary: For starters, the 49ers had a difficult time even getting their offensive plays started Saturday afternoon during an open practice at Candlestick Park.

The announced crowd of more than 10,000 fans saw a season's worth of botched center-quarterback exchanges. Veteran center Jonathan Goodwin returned to the starting lineup, and had his share of problems with Colin Kaepernick.

But it certainly was not all Goodwin's fault. Backup center Daniel Kilgore also misconnected with quarterback Scott Tolzien, who took most of the second-team snaps. And Tolzien dropped a perfect snap from Kilgore to bring the 2 1/2-hour practice to a fitting conclusion.

"Wherever we practice, what you want to see is a good practice," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "Definitely a raggedy practice offensively and not pleased about that."

Yes, the 49ers had all kinds of problems on Saturday. Kaepernick was not sharp. There was a pitch that Kyle Williams fumbled. There were several false-start penalties. And a grand total of six miscues on snaps. Three of the mistakes happened when Goodwin was at center, and three more snaps hit the ground as a result of the Kilgore-Tolzien combination.

Goodwin returned to full practice for the first time since the opening weekend of training camp.

Quarterback Colt McCoy returned to limited practice after sustaining what he described as a stinger in his right neck and shoulder area. Linebacker Nick Moody, who was carted into the locker room with a knee injury in the exhibition opener Thursday, returned to full practice.

Wide receiver Quinton Patton, nose tackle Lamar Divens and McCoy wore blue non-contact uniforms.

Rookie tight end Vance McDonald, defensive lineman Ray McDonald and cornerback Tramaine Brock were held out of team drills for undisclosed reasons. Safety Eric Reid appeared to sustain a mild back strain in practice. When asked about Reid's condition, Harbaugh said he was not aware of anything.

Six players remained in Santa Clara for treatment, including cornerback Tarell Brown and left tackle Joe Staley, who have undisclosed injuries.

Offensive play of the day: The best pitch and catch came during an 11-on-11 session when Kaepernick made a strong and accurate throw 25 yards down the middle of the field that hit WR Anquan Boldin in stride with FS Craig Dahl trailing in coverage.

Defensive play of the day: In a red-zone drill, OLB Parys Haralson beat 49ers rookie RT Patrick Omameh off the edge. Tolzien rolled to his left and tried to throw back to the middle of the end zone, where FS Michael Thomas made the interception.

A.J. watch: WR A.J. Jenkins had an up-and-down day. During individual warmups he lost a pass in the sun, and the crowd groaned. He opened 11-on-11 drills with a nice leaping catch of a Kaepernick pass between three defenders. But Jenkins also had a Kaepernick pass bounce off his hands. Safety Darcel McBath caught the deflection for an interception.

Worth noting: Rookie WR Quinton Patton, who is still not supposed to be catching passes due to a left finger injury, beat Thomas deep and snared a deep throw from B.J. Daniels during one-on-one period. . . Chad Hall caught a punt early in practice, and promptly performed a backflip in the middle of the field. . . Nnamdi Asomugha lined up at right cornerback with Brown out of action. Asomugha had good coverage against rookie WR Chuck Jacobs but dropped an easy interception. . . Adam Snyder took over at left tackle in Staley's absence. . . RB LaMichael James caught a deep pass against the coverage of ILB Michael Wilhoite. TE Vernon Davis later caught a 20-yard pass against Wilhoite. . . Kaepernick and Davis teamed up in 7-on-7 for a touchdown against ILB NaVorro Bowman. . . WR Ricardo Lockette nearly made the play of the day. He appeared to haul in a 60-yard pass from Daniels, but the ball fell to the ground after he struck the Candlestick turf. . . Kaepernick badly overthrew Boldin the end zone during a 7-on-7 drill, and CB Carlos Rogers picked it off. . . Thomas broke up a pass for Boldin to end the first-team offense's final chance of the day. The offense started at their own 19-yard line with 4:54 on the clock. The first-team offense managed two first downs before stalling. . . Kicker Phil Dawson missed wide right from 43 yards, but he came back to hit tries of 54 and 42 yards. He was then well short on a 62-yard attempt.

Rookie report: TE MarQueis Gray caught several passes, including a nice grab of a Kaepernick in traffic between Donte Whitner and NaVorro Bowman during a 7-on-7 drill. Gray struggled in pass protection against Haralson, but held his own against OLB Corey Lemonier. . . RB D.J. Harper matched up well in a blitz pickup drill against Moody. . . CB Marcus Cooper broke up a pass intended for Boldin.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Gotta say, I'm a little irritated they "sold" 15,000 tix and only about 8,000 people showed up. Oh well. I feel like it's not as good a day as it was when they did the practices at team HQs.

nmgsc2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went last year but gave my tickets away to it this year. It was alright last year but I kind of liked the open practices at the facility better. Smaller crowd and better practice and better chances to get autographs from the players. Last year you couldn't even really get to any of the big named players. But give then construction going on it was cool of them to do this again here. I will say I am looking forward to practices at the facility again though once the stadium is completed.