• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Extension Updates for Cain/Bum

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope I'm still alive on the day Zito's contract looks cheap. 2060?

Well if you believe the Ron Paulistas, with all the inflation coming he'll be dirt cheap in 2015.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you believe the Ron Paulistas, with all the inflation coming he'll be dirt cheap in 2015.

Would you believe someone that bought up as many oyster crackers as they could, then warned of the impending end of soup? Seriously, though, he is probably right. I just don't know how to get back on the gold standard. :yield: Anyway, yeah, fuck Zito... unless he gives me a safe place to stay during the inevitable Zombieocalypse.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In about 2 or 3 years, sure. For now, let's go with free CY level pitcher, tyvm.

agreed or we could pull a Rays and give him a huge deal that ends up being really cheap (have you seen Matt Moores contract) but in all seriousness it is probably to late for that.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck yeah!!! Giants resigning Matt Cain and now Lincecum will my preseason.

pat_sajak.jpg

Would you like to buy a verb?

[Interesting that I'm responding to "Hangman" with this...]

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tito must be out on a ledge somewhere, wondering what happened. He was convinced that Cain was way overrated, and couldn't beat the Dodgers.

I hope he lands somewhere hard.

Poor Tito.....I believe gp said it best on the old Disney Boards (paraphrased): The Cognitive Dissonance is strong in that one.
Or perhaps msg said it best (again paraphrased): that guy is bat shit, looney tunes, crazy. :heh:

Back to reality.....as maddening as JSanch or Duurty was (as well as the ridiculous Man Crush of Tito's that helped make that board intolerable), I still wish him well. I'm not sure if he's regained his velocity, nor am I sure that he will ever simmer his inner-demons down enough to realize his potential.....but he was a huge part of 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take out the signing bonus and buyout in Cain's contract, it's 5 years $100 million just as I predicted :charlie:

I'm just glad to see this done and not fear Cain in doyer blue or Pin Stripes. Cain may end up finishing his career as a Giant.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Tito.....I believe gp said it best on the old Disney Boards (paraphrased): The Cognitive Dissonance is strong in that one.
Or perhaps msg said it best (again paraphrased): that guy is bat shit, looney tunes, crazy. :heh:

Back to reality.....as maddening as JSanch or Duurty was (as well as the ridiculous Man Crush of Tito's that helped make that board intolerable), I still wish him well. I'm not sure if he's regained his velocity, nor am I sure that he will ever simmer his inner-demons down enough to realize his potential.....but he was a huge part of 2010.

If I may, I believe the first quote is mine, but MSG said it best.

Durty will probably never get it together, but he's still going to have a long (and frustrating) career.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take out the signing bonus and buyout in Cain's contract, it's 5 years $100 million just as I predicted :charlie:

I'm just glad to see this done and not fear Cain in doyer blue or Pin Stripes. Cain may end up finishing his career as a Giant.

And if you remove my uncle's balls, he's my aunt.

failure.gif

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If I may, I believe the first quote is mine, but MSG said it best.

Durty will probably never get it together, but he's still going to have a long (and frustrating) career.

I think it's mine, since I'm the only one who does star wars riffs on the internet. But since I'm your alt......

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dave Cameron's predictable take on the Cain signing.

In reality, Cain’s future is something of a coin flip. He may or may not stay healthy. He may or may not continue to prevent hits on balls in play. History is littered with similar pitchers who have gone either way, and when you’re betting $100+ million on a guy, you should get better than 50-50 odds that he’ll continue to perform reasonably well going forward.

The Giants have a built-in pitching factory with AT&T Park and Dave Righetti in place, and given that they’ve had a lot of success maximizing the returns they get on importing pitchers from other organizations, they’re in a unique position to avoid paying market rates for pitching and instead invest that capital in getting some quality position players instead. It might not have been the popular thing to do, but letting Cain walk at the end of the year and throwing $22 million at a guy who swings the bat for a living may have been a better use of funds.

It's not a crazy take at face value. But then he undermines his credibility by asserting the odds going forward of Cain performing to the contract are 50/50 and the impression that AT&T and Righetti are a factory that turn mediocre pitchers into great ones. Those are just pull-it-out-of-your-ass facts. Dave, fyi, has predicted Cains' regression towards (not to) league average every year of the last 3 or 4 years. Based mostly on the idea that pitchers have minimal control of their BABIP. Thus, according to Cameron, Cain is simply a fair coin that has, so far, happened to turn up heads six years in a row. He had some stake in Cain going to a less comfortable situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's mine, since I'm the only one who does star wars riffs on the internet. But since I'm your alt......

Good point. I was thinking more of the CG line, which is me all the way. But I'm not known for the Yoda quips as you are.

Now shut up, both of me.