• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Expansion News from 46n2...which means unbiased and most likely accurate....

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more; my hope is tSEC pulls A&M and then raids FSU/Clemson/VT from the ACC... I don't think Clemson or FSU will get an invite because SC and UF will do their damnedest to block it, but I do think it would be in the best interest long-term and makes the most sense logistically. Have I mentioned how much I hate the ACC? Thanks to our commish (and UNC alum) John Swofford.

No it doesn't. The schools don't add extra revenue, or anything else to the conference for that matter.

TrinDaddy

Trinconceivable!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How come Big10 isn't talking about Syracuse? They probably bring more of the New York market then Rutgers and they have elite Basketball. NY and Northeast is a College Basketball region, why not bring in a CBB superpower?

It probably has something to do with them having 2 winning seasons in the past decade. Also, pulling the New York market doesn't mean a whole lot without actually pulling NYC and Syracuse is hours away. That's why some people like to pretend Rutgers would pull in a huge market base, since they are much closer in proximity.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It probably has something to do with them having 2 winning seasons in the past decade. Also, pulling the New York market doesn't mean a whole lot without actually pulling NYC and Syracuse is hours away. That's why some people like to pretend Rutgers would pull in a huge market base, since they are much closer in proximity.
Those people need to be reminded that the NY metropolitan area has 9 major professional sports teams (Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Islanders and Devils).

The Big East basketball tournament at Madison Square Garden garners some interest among alumni. College football is a total non-factor for people raised in this area. The most popular teams are the ones representing schools with the most alumni in the city (think Penn State, Ohio State, Texas, etc.).

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't. The schools don't add extra revenue, or anything else to the conference for that matter.

Wrong. All those schools fit logistically and culturally with the current members. The entire point of the different regional conferences (Atlantic Coast, South Eastern, Pacific) was to promote regional rivalries which both FSU and Clemson bring to the table. If the SEC is all about tradition, the schools I mentioned fit the best. Sure, if you want to expand the footprint and jack up revenue, go after Notre Dame, OU, and Texas then; you'll have to re-name the conference to the $elfish rEgionally ambiguous Conference though.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way Tide, Troy should have another good team this year; they played pretty well in Death Valley last weekend.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's because recruiting rankings are complete B.S. Wisconsin NEVER has even a top 25 recruiting class, but they're consistently ranked. Part of that is the caliber of athletes that the program brings in, sure, but just as much of it is the inherent problems with ranking high school prospects.

Other shit happens too. Case in point, when Wisconsin successfully beat out Nebraska, Tennessee, Rutgers for this kid from New Jersey...D.J. Singleton....all of the sudden he went from 4 stars to 3 stars.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How come Big10 isn't talking about Syracuse? They probably bring more of the New York market then Rutgers and they have elite Basketball. NY and Northeast is a College Basketball region, why not bring in a CBB superpower?

Because what's the point of bringing in a basketball power? That's not what re-alignment is about, it's about the BCS. Same deal with Kansas, only makes sense if it's part of adding Oklahoma.

I agree that Rutgers gives you absolutely nothing.

Yup. And basketball is all Syracuse brings, if you look at my posts a couple pages back. They don't get a big enough academic endowment, and their academics aren't impressive enough to make up for their athletic budget and the fact that their football team doesn't generate much interest within their own state.

The home run for the Big Ten is Notre Dame at this point. Sad to say it, because I got sick of that conversation like a decade ago.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do like Mizzou and Kansas, but only as a reactive move or as part of a larger expansion (obviously along with Oklahoma and/or Texas, or even to go to 16 teams with Mizzou, Kansas, Notre Dame and Pitt).

I'm with you on Rutgers. For the millionth time, nobody in NYC gives a shit about them. I've lived here for 7 years and I've met ONE Rutgers fan.

You definitely see far more Michigan, OSU, and ND fans then Syracuse, Conn, and Rutgers fans in the city. Well at least in Manhattan.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. All those schools fit logistically and culturally with the current members. The entire point of the different regional conferences (Atlantic Coast, South Eastern, Pacific) was to promote regional rivalries which both FSU and Clemson bring to the table. If the SEC is all about tradition, the schools I mentioned fit the best. Sure, if you want to expand the footprint and jack up revenue, go after Notre Dame, OU, and Texas then; you'll have to re-name the conference to the $elfish rEgionally ambiguous Conference though.

Yes, however adding Clemson or FSU hurts recruiting and doesn't add a new television markets. Why add teams that will hurt your products and don't add money to the pie that would have 14 slices instead of 12?

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way Tide, Troy should have another good team this year; they played pretty well in Death Valley last weekend.

Yeah they usually do really well against the Big Boys, but they just can't ever get the W.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Other shit happens too. Case in point, when Wisconsin successfully beat out Nebraska, Tennessee, Rutgers for this kid from New Jersey...D.J. Singleton....all of the sudden he went from 4 stars to 3 stars.

Same thing happens to players that choose Tech. Another aspect to the recruit ratings is the size of the fan base and the likely hood of those fans to purchase their products.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You definitely see far more Michigan, OSU, and ND fans then Syracuse, Conn, and Rutgers fans in the city. Well at least in Manhattan.

Probably Penn State, too. I know of a few UW alumni in the NYC area. Know of even more who were from there, just don't know where they are now. I think the B1G probably already has a stronger presence in NYC than any other conference. We have that place locked up for the B1G network. If they need Rutgers for some weird reason, or Syracuse...I guess they'd probably do it for that reason.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, however adding Clemson or FSU hurts recruiting and doesn't add a new television markets. Why add teams that will hurt your products and don't add money to the pie that would have 14 slices instead of 12?

I don't necessarily disagree with your statements, however, the attraction of college football is that it so different from the pros; money shouldn't be the center of everyone's attention and it hasn't been until the last decade. Rivalries and regional flavor is what makes college football so great; A&M doesn't fit the institutional culture that makes up the SEC, so why dilute your product simply to bring in more money and potentially new markets? College football is not about marketing or money; fans love the sport and teams because of the rivalries, traditions, and with how closely it hits to home. Teams like Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Clemson, VT, OU, Texas, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin thrive because the people that live in towns, cities, and states surrounding them have emotional and historical ties to the teams and schools. Putting a team like A&M in the SEC or Oklahoma in the PAC 12 totally destroys that. Fans will continue to flock to games regardless of conference affiliation or TV money, shit, look at SCar! They lost 24 straight games and still just about sold out every home game.

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't necessarily disagree with your statements, however, the attraction of college football is that it so different from the pros; money shouldn't be the center of everyone's attention and it hasn't been until the last decade. Rivalries and regional flavor is what makes college football so great; A&M doesn't fit the institutional culture that makes up the SEC, so why dilute your product simply to bring in more money and potentially new markets? College football is not about marketing or money; fans love the sport and teams because of the rivalries, traditions, and with how closely it hits to home. Teams like Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Clemson, VT, OU, Texas, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio State, and Wisconsin thrive because the people that live in towns, cities, and states surrounding them have emotional and historical ties to the teams and schools. Putting a team like A&M in the SEC or Oklahoma in the PAC 12 totally destroys that. Fans will continue to flock to games regardless of conference affiliation or TV money, shit, look at SCar! They lost 24 straight games and still just about sold out every home game.

I disagree with this quote. Texas A&M fits in well with the SEC culturally.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably Penn State, too. I know of a few UW alumni in the NYC area. Know of even more who were from there, just don't know where they are now. I think the B1G probably already has a stronger presence in NYC than any other conference. We have that place locked up for the B1G network. If they need Rutgers for some weird reason, or Syracuse...I guess they'd probably do it for that reason.
Present.

And yes, the B1G does have a stronger presence than any other conference here. If kids from the Northeast are going to leave the area, and go to a big state university, it's usually one in the Upper Midwest.

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemsucks won't do anything for the SEC. We already have a whipping boy - two of them! A third would serve no purpose.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemsucks won't do anything for the SEC. We already have a whipping boy - two of them! A third would serve no purpose.

:finger: Florida is on a downward spiral anyway, they couldn't even beat SCar last season and will struggle with UGA, SCar, and Tennessee again this year. Meyer leaving was the worst thing that could've happened to that program and with FSU on the rise, Clemson continuing to poach recruits from right under Florida's nose, and the rise of UCF and USF, Florida's days are numbered.

LSUfanFloridaAlumni

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
:finger: Florida is on a downward spiral anyway, they couldn't even beat SCar last season and will struggle with UGA, SCar, and Tennessee again this year. Meyer leaving was the worst thing that could've happened to that program and with FSU on the rise, Clemson continuing to poach recruits from right under Florida's nose, and the rise of UCF and USF, Florida's days are numbered.

Wishful thinking. Muschamp and Weiss will restore UF soon.

USF couldn't even beat UF last year when we were down.

FSU has to come to the swamp this year.