• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Evan Mathis agrees to one year deal with Broncos

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I read about why he didnt mesh well with Peters (which seems strange having 2 All Pros next to each other) was Peters likes to step back and absord while Mathis likes to attack. Evidently it was leaving a gap between the two when Peters absorbed and Mathis surged.

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me personally I think he just wanted out of Philly. Chip has been trying to trade him pretty much since the day he got there. Nothing screams to a player that you don't want them than to tell them you are actively trying to trade them.

lol. That's not even close to how it all went down. Do some research and try again. smiley-laughing009.gif

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosenhaus MAJORLY screwed this guy. Had 5.5 million in the pocket, wanted more and wound up losying more then 50% of his salary. He was a 10 year journey man who found his niche in Philly. Very good player in the right scheme.
Yup. Like a lot of players he was delusions about his worth and reality just gave him a slap to the face.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good signing. Would have liked to see the Seahawks get him but I also realize he wasn't a home run for us. Not surprised that he went to one of the two teams that have true Super Bowl aspirations but have porous lines.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was the Chiefs who made the offer... Nice pick-up for the Broncos ... I'm sure Manning feel's happy about this ...

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys snuck Mathis away from KC that's a double bonus for you. I was hoping that Mathis might take a pay cut to come aboard but he isn't a spring chicken and this contract may very well be his last significant one he will be offered. Congrats on getting such a huge signing
Crazy the Eagles even let him go.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good signing by the Bronco's.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Less than half what he would have made in Philly if he just kept his trap shut.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complete A+ signing. Mathis is one of the top guards in the league and he came cheap on a 1 year deal.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me personally I think he just wanted out of Philly. Chip has been trying to trade him pretty much since the day he got there. Nothing screams to a player that you don't want them than to tell them you are actively trying to trade them.

Ok guess I have been reading different articles than you because the ones I have read have said that was part of it.

The way I have understood it, the trading aspect came into play only after Mathis (or Rosenhaus) started making noise about wanting to have a new contract, which paid him more. So the demands for money came first, then the trade stuff. And from what I came across, there is definite debate about whether (or at what point) the attempts for a trade were initiated (or agreed upon) by the Eagles, Mathis/Rosenhaus or both.

Then, it also surfaced somewhare last year, that Mathis' blocking style, especially in pass pro, simply did not work well with either Peters or Kelce - something that apparently could not be changed through coaching.

Mathis/Rosenhaus then ramped up the demands for a new contract this year, and Mathis started holding out. I think that at this point the Eagles simply had enough, thought Tobin and Gardner looked good enough, and simply had had it with Mathis/Rosenhaus.

It has been a he said/she said ever since about who demanded/initiated trade attempts, whether Mathis would hold out further and so on.

So yeah, I think Rosenhaus f-ed over his client. Note also that there seems to have been little in comments about Mathis being let go from people on the team (unlike in some other cases).

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said another team offered him $5.5 million today but he decided to go with the Broncos instead. Not sure who the other team was though.

Pretty sure that's made up in an attempt to save face. Mathis might even believe it and Rosenhaus made it up.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's not true. Mathis asked to be traded after the eagles didn't offer him the same deal this year that was on the table last year.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not true. Mathis asked to be traded after the eagles didn't offer him the same deal this year that was on the table last year.

Is that what Chip is saying? He also said the Suggs play wasn't read oprion.

One side is not being truthful and it's entirely possible both sides are bending the truth.

At this point it doesn't matter who did what.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So yeah, I think Rosenhaus f-ed over his client. Note also that there seems to have been little in comments about Mathis being let go from people on the team (unlike in some other cases).

Rosenhaus did overplay his hand but don't overlook the fact that the Eagles, on purpose, screwed over Mathis too. They purposefully waited until late in the offseason to cut him (they knew on draft day he wasn't going to be with the Eagles and that is why Kelly went out of his way to bad mouth Mathis) knowing full well Mathis wouldn't find a deal that late in the process.

That will cost the Eagles moving forward if this FO and coaching staff is around long enough.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver radio reporting this morning that the other team making the $5.5m offer was the Miami Dolphins.