• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Evan Mathis agrees to one year deal with Broncos

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this signing! OL just went from huge question mark with 3 guys having never played a snap in the NFL to a much better looking unit. Still some question marks but feel much better with two of the top guard in the league anchoring this OL and helping to give Manning that middle pocket. Plus gives the team a little more time for the young guys to develop behind some very good veterans.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn! I was holding out hope that the Hawks would sign him

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn! I was holding out hope that the Hawks would sign him

He said another team offered him $5.5 million today but he decided to go with the Broncos instead. Not sure who the other team was though.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said another team offered him $5.5 million today but he decided to go with the Broncos instead. Not sure who the other team was though.
Doubt it was the Hawks as I'm pretty sure we don't have that cap space unless it was spread over a couple seasons

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt it was the Hawks as I'm pretty sure we don't have that cap space unless it was spread over a couple seasons

My guess is it was the Chiefs. They have been linked together for the past 2 weeks. He said though that he preferred to take less from a contender so again don't think that would be the Seahawks as I think most know they are a pretty big contender.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is it was the Chiefs. They have been linked together for the past 2 weeks. He said though that he preferred to take less from a contender so again don't think that would be the Seahawks as I think most know they are a pretty big contender.
The thing that makes one scratch their head though is Reid himself pretty much shut down the original Mathis rumors. Maybe the FO/Reid wanted the Houston contract done first, maybe it was playing poker, but that rumor did not die an easy death, that's for sure. So it wouldn't shock me anyways if they were in fact the team to offer said contract. Dolphins were another team in on Mathis from what I have heard.

Last edited:

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys snuck Mathis away from KC that's a double bonus for you. I was hoping that Mathis might take a pay cut to come aboard but he isn't a spring chicken and this contract may very well be his last significant one he will be offered. Congrats on getting such a huge signing

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that makes one scratch their head though is Reid himself pretty much shut down the Mathis original rumors. Maybe the FO/Reid wanted the Houston contract done first, maybe it was playing poker, but that rumor did not die an easy death, that's for sure. So it wouldn't shock me anyways if they were in fact the team to offer said contract. Dolphins were another team in on Mathis from what I have heard.

Yeah unless he tells us who hard to know. I just know over the past couple of weeks Chiefs and Seahawks have been the top two teams linked to him. Heck there was one writer pretty much saying the Chiefs deal was a done deal to only then apologize that his sources were wrong but still expected the Chiefs to sign him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you guys snuck Mathis away from KC that's a double bonus for you. I was hoping that Mathis might take a pay cut to come aboard but he isn't a spring chicken and this contract may very well be his last significant one he will be offered. Congrats on getting such a huge signing

Thanks! Yeah I didn't expect to sign him for so little. With him pretty much getting cut because he demanded more than $5.5 million from the Eagles very surprised that he signed for $2.5 million with the Broncos especially when another team is offering him $3 million more. I guess money wasn't his main deciding factor. I really thought $4 million was the minimum it would take with much more than that even.

Also like you said taking them away from KC makes it that much sweeter if they were our biggest competition for him!

Macho Grande

Would Sacrifice You In An Emergency
The Magumba Bar in Drambuie, off the Barbary Coast
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,889.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I knew he was gonna sign with a contender and roll with the "wanted to play for a contender" excuse when he realized what a stupid mistake he made. Was really the only way to save a little face after all this. Too funny. He gambled and lost because of his greedy agent.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. I knew he was gonna sign with a contender and roll with the "wanted to play for a contender" excuse when he realized what a stupid mistake he made. Was really the only way to save a little face after all this. Too funny. He gambled and lost because of his greedy agent.

Happens. No biggie.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal guess reading Evan's Reddit comments prior to today is the other contract came from the Dolphins. Seahawks have cap gymnastics with Kam right now; while Mathis/Reid each repeatedly shut down rumors. I am going to check the Dolphin's overthecap to see if it's plausible.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosenhaus MAJORLY screwed this guy. Had 5.5 million in the pocket, wanted more and wound up losying more then 50% of his salary. He was a 10 year journey man who found his niche in Philly. Very good player in the right scheme.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosenhaus MAJORLY screwed this guy. Had 5.5 million in the pocket, wanted more and wound up losying more then 50% of his salary. He was a 10 year journey man who found his niche in Philly. Very good player in the right scheme.

Good thing the Broncos will be playing a very similar scheme to what the Eagles have been running. A few differences but for the most part Athleticism trumps strength in our two schemes.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me personally I think he just wanted out of Philly. Chip has been trying to trade him pretty much since the day he got there. Nothing screams to a player that you don't want them than to tell them you are actively trying to trade them.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Still funny to me though that I knew exactly how it would end up playing out. But then again, it's not like it was too hard to see how this would end.

Happens a bit more with OL it seems like.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be true. What was weird was the players werent upset to see him leave and hes an ALL PRO player. Evidently Peters didnt like his style of blocking. Strange story.

Whats really interesting is the so called "Dream Team" by Vince Young landed the Eagles very little but the least heralded signing turned out to be the best (Mathis).