• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Evaluation of 2014 draft

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Progress Report: Grading the 49ers 2014 Draft - San Francisco 49ers | Examiner.com

who was it that argued Marcus Martin did well?

obviously good play by Borland, but Dontae Johnson and Aaron Lynch also huge.

this class COULD turn out to be one of the best "building block" years? I'd think Brandon Thomas would need to pan out, and Ward ups his game to at least consistent starter?

Whoever it was, it's pretty clear their opinion shouldn't carry as much weight at Christian Gin, whose bio contains such achievements as graduating from SJSU in journalism and liking baseball, and who now writes for a free newspaper.

Martin was inconsistent. He had a few pretty solid games, and a few very shaky games. That's to be expected of a very young rookie who missed a lot of the offseason battling an injury and was thrust into the starting lineup. I didn't see anything that made me believe he wasn't going to pan out.

Grading drafts a year or two later is fine, but it's kind of a silly sort of journalistic puff-piece. Let's see how things pan out.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Progress Report: Grading the 49ers 2014 Draft - San Francisco 49ers | Examiner.com

who was it that argued Marcus Martin did well?

obviously good play by Borland, but Dontae Johnson and Aaron Lynch also huge.

this class COULD turn out to be one of the best "building block" years? I'd think Brandon Thomas would need to pan out, and Ward ups his game to at least consistent starter?

I don't like grading draft until two to three years after. We know Borland and Lynch looked really good last year, but other players need more time. Martin struggled at times but that is expected given what he was thrown into. I would still give that pick an N/A. Even Hyde, who I think will be really great hasn't earned that high status yet.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't like grading draft until two to three years after. We know Borland and Lynch looked really good last year, but other players need more time. Martin struggled at times but that is expected given what he was thrown into. I would still give that pick an N/A. Even Hyde, who I think will be really great hasn't earned that high status yet.

it had nothing to do about MM's future success, only about his play in 2014. It was acknowledged he got injured and was a rookie, but he still argued Martin did well in 2014.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it had nothing to do about MM's future success, only about his play in 2014. It was acknowledged he got injured and was a rookie, but he still argued Martin did well in 2014.

But what you posted is giving out draft grades and what I am saying is it is too early to be making those grades

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Now, he's projecting the ultimate value of the pick based on performance this year:

Below is the final rundown where I review the 49ers' 2014 NFL Draft. These grades are merely a progress report, where we can't judge them completely until they have three full years in the league. Think of them as being penciled in and how the player is on pace to be graded based on this year alone.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, he's projecting the ultimate value of the pick based on performance this year:

Below is the final rundown where I review the 49ers' 2014 NFL Draft. These grades are merely a progress report, where we can't judge them completely until they have three full years in the league. Think of them as being penciled in and how the player is on pace to be graded based on this year alone.

This analysis is pretty useless

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He averaged four yards per carry and had 333 rushing yards to go with four touchdowns."

How does this generate an "A" grade for a second round running back on a rushing-first offense with a guy who has CLEARLY lost a step in front of him? C+ at absolute best.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He averaged four yards per carry and had 333 rushing yards to go with four touchdowns."

How does this generate an "A" grade for a second round running back on a rushing-first offense with a guy who has CLEARLY lost a step in front of him? C+ at absolute best.

They kind of abandoned the rush first offense last season

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
great class plus hyde. just need ward to play better and the is A+ class

Seriously? I know you're a fan, but this is runaway homerism. I'd give this class a C at the moment, and only because of Borland. Take him out, and this is a borderline F draft class.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? I know you're a fan, but this is runaway homerism. I'd give this class a C at the moment, and only because of Borland. Take him out, and this is a borderline F draft class.

What about Lynch?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They kind of abandoned the rush first offense last season

487 passing attempts (with a stooge under center) versus opponents 551.

470 rushing attempts (with a guy winding down) versus opponents 402.

In a league that is geared toward allowing teams to pass, I'd consider this to be rush first. I've said all along that Roman was marginal at best, but teams with these rules (passing allowed) shouldn't be this close to 50/50. I didn't do the research around the rest of the league, but I bet that percentage puts us in the bottom five of "pass" first teams.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a league that is geared toward allowing teams to pass, I'd consider this to be rush first. I've said all along that Roman was marginal at best, but teams with these rules (passing allowed) shouldn't be this close to 50/50. I didn't do the research around the rest of the league, but I bet that percentage puts us in the bottom five of "pass" first teams.

Take out Kapernick's runs and it looks somewhat different

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just among our division:

Cardinals
568 passing attempts
Opponets 579

397 Rushing attempts
Opponents 396

Seahawks (Lynch in his prime, and arguably the best RB in the league this year)
454 Pass attempts
Opponents 507

525 Rushing attempts (Lynch in his prime, and arguably the best RB in the league this year)
Opponents 380

Rams
515 Passing attempts (Austin Davis at QB; ummm, who?)
Opponents 540

395 Rushing attempts (Honestly, I have no idea who Tre Mason is)
Opponents 425

We passed less than the Cardinals with an ace bandage at QB and the Rams with Austin Texas, whom I couldn't pick out in a police lineup with one other person. I'd hardly call that leaning on the pass with a QB who was supposed to be a strength on this team.

Comparitively...

Patriots
609 Passing attempts
Opponents (because they were getting killed most of the game) 574

438 Rushing attempts
Opponents 419

Packers
536 Passing attempts
Opponents (because they were getting killed most of the game) 564

349 Rushing attempts
Opponents 333

We may have passed more than we ran (barely) but we weren't a "pass first" team.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Well between the two of you we've probably got something close to the reality.