• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's Suggested Deal For Franklin

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no room for Nick Franklin in Seattle as long as Robinson Cano is on the Mariners roster, unless Franklin learns and adjusts to a new position.

And there is no room in Atlanta's rotation for Alex Wood. The hard-throwing 23-year-old moved back to the bullpen on Friday as Atlanta went with Gavin Floyd as the fifth starter.

With the Braves needing production at second base and a talent like Wood to offer in a deal, could the two teams work something out?

This is only speculation, and it'd probably require Seattle to include another piece along with Franklin, but if Seattle does move Franklin the Braves would probably one of the likeliest suitors given Dan Uggla's continual struggles. Toronto is one of the few other teams with a glaring need to upgrade at second.

As far as the M's are concerned, adding Wood certainly would be appealing, even if the current rotation is already fairly set with Hisashi Iwakuma back to his 2013 form and Roenis Elias pitching so well. In fact, as soon as James Paxton and Taijuan Walker return in late May or early June, they will be six-deep and Chris Young will probably be moved to the bullpen. So it isn't as though Wood is sure to have a ton more opportunity in Seattle this season than he's had in Atlanta.

But if Seattle moves Franklin, the reality is the Braves are as likely of a trade partner as any. And since Atlanta doesn't have the young outfielders that the M's covet, any deal involving these two teams could revolve around Wood.

This is nothing to get worked up over yet, but is something to think about in the months ahead if these two teams are mentioned in trade talks.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could live with this deal. For those who say we have a solid rotation I would say, you never have enough quality young arms. Sometimes you need 3 good young arms to have 1.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alex Wood has a good future ahead of him, but I'd prefer the Mariners add more offense. The Mariners don't have many starters hitting above .250.

I'd take the deal, but I think this ignores the Mariners biggest concern, which is our anemic offense.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself this, "What do teams with extra offense want?". I would say pitching. That for me is one of two reasons why you never have enough young pitching. Injury one and trade bait two. If you add him and he shows what he is suppose to, then maybe a Walker or Paxton become expendable.

As an example, Braves and Jays are said to need a 2B. How many teams need a young pitcher? It opens your options for that hitting OF you may need.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself this, "What do teams with extra offense want?". I would say pitching. That for me is one of two reasons why you never have enough young pitching. Injury one and trade bait two. If you add him and he shows what he is suppose to, then maybe a Walker or Paxton become expendable.

As an example, Braves and Jays are said to need a 2B. How many teams need a young pitcher? It opens your options for that hitting OF you may need.

You make a great point but it is hard to fathom making a trade that can only be a success by making another trade. And truthfully how much do you trust the front office in making a deal? This is the same front office that dealt Foster for peanuts and tried dealing Walker and Franklin for an above average player like Upton.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching wins, the way hernandez, kuma, young, and roenis have been pitching is the reason why were above .500 our offense is still terrible

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You make a great point but it is hard to fathom making a trade that can only be a success by making another trade. And truthfully how much do you trust the front office in making a deal? This is the same front office that dealt Foster for peanuts and tried dealing Walker and Franklin for an above average player like Upton.

I don't trust our front office to do anything right. Just saying that dealing for the pitcher option or trade options over trying to deal a middle infielder. Even if you didn't move the pitcher after getting him you still have a great asset to play. For me it is a win-win move but doubt Braves would do it.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust our front office to do anything right. Just saying that dealing for the pitcher option or trade options over trying to deal a middle infielder. Even if you didn't move the pitcher after getting him you still have a great asset to play. For me it is a win-win move but doubt Braves would do it.

I agree with you, just hard for me to be totally on board as a fan to have them make a deal in order to make another deal. The Mariners have proven that the old saying of you can never have enough pitching is not always accurate.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all of the good pitching in the world won't make up for a putrid offense.

and why trade nick franklin when he's the logical go-to guy to fill in at SS when Miller's stuggling? ;)

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no room for Nick Franklin in Seattle as long as Robinson Cano is on the Mariners roster, unless Franklin learns and adjusts to a new position.

And there is no room in Atlanta's rotation for Alex Wood. The hard-throwing 23-year-old moved back to the bullpen on Friday as Atlanta went with Gavin Floyd as the fifth starter.

With the Braves needing production at second base and a talent like Wood to offer in a deal, could the two teams work something out?

This is only speculation, and it'd probably require Seattle to include another piece along with Franklin, but if Seattle does move Franklin the Braves would probably one of the likeliest suitors given Dan Uggla's continual struggles. Toronto is one of the few other teams with a glaring need to upgrade at second.

As far as the M's are concerned, adding Wood certainly would be appealing, even if the current rotation is already fairly set with Hisashi Iwakuma back to his 2013 form and Roenis Elias pitching so well. In fact, as soon as James Paxton and Taijuan Walker return in late May or early June, they will be six-deep and Chris Young will probably be moved to the bullpen. So it isn't as though Wood is sure to have a ton more opportunity in Seattle this season than he's had in Atlanta.

But if Seattle moves Franklin, the reality is the Braves are as likely of a trade partner as any. And since Atlanta doesn't have the young outfielders that the M's covet, any deal involving these two teams could revolve around Wood.

This is nothing to get worked up over yet, but is something to think about in the months ahead if these two teams are mentioned in trade talks.

It would be nice to see what Chris Taylor can do at the MLB level before Franklin is shipped out. It would also be nice to get an outfielder for Franklin. I agree with you on pitching. You can never have enough. I'd shop for an outfielder first though, and exhaust that possibility before trading for a pitcher

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice to see what Chris Taylor can do at the MLB level before Franklin is shipped out. It would also be nice to get an outfielder for Franklin. I agree with you on pitching. You can never have enough. I'd shop for an outfielder first though, and exhaust that possibility before trading for a pitcher

Normally I would agree with that, but I would take Wood over any OF we probably could get back for Nick though. Keep adding the best talent you can regardless of position and things start to fall in place.

I don't see Franklin as a MLB SS so not worried about seeing if we have any other options first. Plus, Noriega might actually be the future SS because of his MLB defense.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be for the trade. I like Alex Wood and think he can be a solid number 3 or 4 for years to come. We may have an abundance of good pitchers now, but you never know in baseball. Don't want to jinx it, but pitchers especially starting pitchers who throw hard are the most prone to injury.

And as NWinaz mentioned...more pitching could just mean trade bait in the future. By trade bait i don't necessarily mean Alex Wood himself. Having Alex Wood may allow us to maybe trade an Elias or Paxton for a good bat.